Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why is my upload speed so slow?

#1 User is offline   jwalange 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:19 AM

Lately my upload speed has been pretty horrible. I searched around for ways to remedy this, and someone suggested trying out www.speedtest.net. I did the test and it came up with an upload speed of 60.8 kB/s. I'm trying to upload a 42.25 MB file on www.yousendit.com. So, with 60.8 kB/s upload speed, that should take about 12 minutes, right? (please tell me if I'm being an idiot and my math is all wrong)

Well, the YouSendIt upload is telling me my time left is 14 hours+!! What gives?

Wondering if anyone can help me with this, or if I'm just screwed. Thanks!

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:51 AM

jwalange said:

Lately my upload speed has been pretty horrible. I searched around for ways to remedy this, and someone suggested trying out www.speedtest.net. I did the test and it came up with an upload speed of 60.8 kB/s. I'm trying to upload a 42.25 MB file on www.yousendit.com. So, with 60.8 kB/s upload speed, that should take about 12 minutes, right? (please tell me if I'm being an idiot and my math is all wrong)

Well, the YouSendIt upload is telling me my time left is 14 hours+!! What gives?

Wondering if anyone can help me with this, or if I'm just screwed. Thanks!

Be careful. Is it 60.8 kB/s or 60.8 kb/s? The size of the "b" matters. If it is "B", then it is kilobytes. If it is "b" (which it likely is), then it is kilobits. If it is kilobytes, then in theory, it should be 12 minutes. If is it kilobits, then it is about 1.5 hours (8 bits per byte...thus, 60.8 kb/s = about 7.6 kB/s). Still is not near the 14 hours, but much longer.

As to the 14 hours, your 12 minutes (or 1.5 hours) assumes that you get a priority connection the whole time. It is possible that others might "get a turn", which can effectively lower the effect transfer speed. Keep in mind that Speedtest uses relatively small files to get that measurement...not extremely large files. Thus, you are not necessarily getting an accurate speed/bandwidth for large files because you might not always maintain a priority connection.

#3 User is offline   jwalange 

• Pip

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah, I messed that up the first time I did my math, but I'm sure the 60.8 is definitely kB (with a big B for kilobyte). I double-checked it again after I got your post. kilobits shows as 486.

Alright, so even if I'm not getting priority connection the whole time, it shouldn't be taking so long, should it?

It sounds to me like there's not much I can do, huh? Man, that's a bummer...

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:25 AM

jwalange said:

Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah, I messed that up the first time I did my math, but I'm sure the 60.8 is definitely kB (with a big B for kilobyte). I double-checked it again after I got your post. kilobits shows as 486.

Alright, so even if I'm not getting priority connection the whole time, it shouldn't be taking so long, should it?

It sounds to me like there's not much I can do, huh? Man, that's a bummer...

Keep in mind that estimates of download or upload times are based upon an average of a bunch of instantious measurements. Thus, if you are able to transfer a bit, but then get bumped in priority which results in nothing currently being transfered, then you can get some wildly inaccurate estimates of time at the beginning of the process. For example, if you have short burst of 60.8 kB/s for like 2 seconds and then 3 minutes of 0 kB/s, then your average would be like about .33 kB/s, which "seem" to be an upload time of 36+ hours. Now, the further into the process, the more accurate it should be (assuming you are not getting "bumped" a lot).

And also keep in mind that your measurement of 60.8 kB/s was to the Speedtest site. Your bandwidth/speed to this other site could be drastically slower.

#5 User is offline   Tom_Diola 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:38 AM

Maybe try this site and see if you get the same results.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

#6 User is offline   jwalange 

• Pip

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:43 AM

yeah - that seems to make sense now. the upload seems to be going faster than the time estimate is showing.

thanks for your help.

#7 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:18 AM

Tom_Diola said:

Maybe try this site and see if you get the same results.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/]

>

Or just pick different test sites on [www.speedtest.net. You will find that you will get different results for different test site locations because you can end up going thru different servers/paths, and each path has the potential for different bottlenecks...some worse than others.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users