• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:20 AM

Post your comments for Automating Word with AppleScript here

#2 User is offline   kranbollin 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:51 AM

"One, Office 2008 doesn’t support the recording of AppleScripts as it once did for VBA. That means you must code AppleScripts by hand. Two, you can’t attach AppleScripts to toolbar buttons."
As a technical writer, I have recorded about a dozen macros specifying obscure symbols assigned to buttons on my Word 2004 toolbar. Office 2008 is therefore useless to me. I would try to learn AppleScript, but why bother when it's not compatible with Windows? Time to get an Intel Mac I suppose.

#3 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:26 AM

Who cares if Applescript is compatible with Windows? Office 2008 isn't either.

As he pointed out, you can assign keyboard shortcuts to Applescripts.

Plus, you could give some other automation tool, like QuicKeys, a try. I use it for lots of things. From logging my hours in Peoplesoft with the touch of a button each day, to pasting in my full address, or pasting boilerplate into letters, faxes and emails.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, and still avoid putting Windows on your computer.
Message was edited by: leicaman

#4 User is offline   palane 

• PipPip

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:31 AM

Who cares if Applescript is compatible with Windows? Office 2008 isn't either.
---
The point is that you can't do anything cross-platform. I had to do a little bit of tinkering, but got my Excel macros running on the same spreadsheet whether or not I opened it in Windows or Mac. This is handy for me as I've a PC on my desk at work, but use a Mac for on the home or road.
This is also problematic for developers. Some very useful software is based upon macros e.g., Wordfast software to aid translators, or Endnote reference software. Microsoft just killed their Mac product. Sadly, I suspect that such developers will simply drop Mac support and the Parallels or Fusion will be the only option.
I think that the MS decision wasn't simply about porting Visual Basic from PPC to Intel. In a stroke, they crippled their product. Perhaps Mac should have been squeezing that stress toy rather than PC.
BB

#5 User is offline   daiya 

• PipPip

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:15 AM

Too pessimistic--EndNote, at least, is working on a new plug-in that will be a free update.
http://endnote.com/support/enwpchartmac.asp

#6 User is online   Cubert 

• Pip

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:54 AM

@kranbollin,
Believe it or not, my experience with several Intel Macs has shown me that Office 2004 actually runs faster via Rosetta on an Intel Mac than 2008 does natively. There are several sites who have done benchmarks that show the same and confirm my gestalt.
Office 2008 is dog-slow on a PowerPC Mac vs. Office 2004. There is basically no reason to get 2008 if speed is your major reason to "upgrade".

#7 User is offline   Haroonjr3a 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

This article was useful four years later, running Word 2011. I was using Word 2004 until a few months ago, where I had written a macro to paste text unformatted; I tried using the same script in 2011 (that supports VBA) but it didn't work. Oddly, Word refused to record the edit > paste special > unformatted as a macro, either.

This works perfectly.

#8 User is offline   teddyc3 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

As of 2012, using Microsoft Word for Mac 2011, the scripts need to be placed in a different folder. When this was written, it was
user>documents>microsoft user data/ word script menu items
Now it's
user>library>application support>microsoft>office>word script menu items

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users