• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:57 PM

Post your comments for The iMac Cometh here

#2 User is offline   Wizardling 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:19 PM

"Surprisingly, Apple itself has no plans to offer critical devices such as floppy and Zip drives" - LOL.
And I was one of the fools who bought a USB floppy drive thinking I couldn't possibly live without it. I maybe used my USB Floppy drive 10 times during five years my lime Rev c iMac was in high use. I THINK I just MIGHT have been able to do without it, heh :-D

#3 User is offline   mcritz 

• PipPip

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:27 AM

What's amazing to me is how industry changing the iMac really was. It was the first Apple product in a long time that was targeted at your brain stem. You could look at it and decide whether or not you wanted it.

#4 User is offline   Jarmo 

• PipPip

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:40 PM

How time flies, this also marks ten years of whining about inferior graphics cards in macs. :) At the point, Rage Pro would have been pretty decent. Pro was later added, but only after it was no longer up to the task.
Have to admit though, the current crop of iMacs offers better price/performance compared to the competition.
But the original was the cutest one...

#5 User is offline   TimothyA 

• PipPip

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:40 AM

Actually, external floppy drives were almost essential when the iMac first came out because a lot of software still shipped on floppy (although that eventually changed as developers scrambled to adapt to the iMac). It's too bad that USB flash drives weren't around then as they would have fit in perfectly with the iMac and made the lack of a floppy much less of an issue. Unfortunately, flash drives didn't become common until several years later.

#6 User is offline   EXrider 

• PipPip

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:31 PM

My parent's are STILL using a "Snow" iMac DV purchased on Christmas of '00. Complete with a blazing 500MHz G3, 320MB PC100 RAM, and a 30GB HD LOL. Runs 10.3 fairly well, but the proliferation of Flash ads has made it almost necessary to run Firefox with adblock plus on ad heavy sites.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users