Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Publisher equivalent for Mac

#1 User is offline   aliris 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

Can anyone please tell me what software for a Mac would be equivalent to Publisher? Our neighborhood has published a newsletter using that software for some time but I'll be taking over the job and need advice how to transfer data and tools to my mac.

TIA!

And apologies for not searching the subject first. I'm new here and can't even find a search feature!

#2 User is offline   OldToad 

• PipPip

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:13 PM

You might look at Pages in the iWork 08 suite of applications. It's very easy to add graphics and text and comes with some newsletter templates to get you started. I don't know if you can get a demo of the suite or not. I know my new Mac came with a demo of them.

Years ago, under OS 8, I used Ready*Set?Go, a desktop publishing application, for a newsletter. It's been updated for OS X but I haven't tried it. However, it's over twice the price of iWorks. There are others out there but expensive.

#3 User is offline   aliris 

• Pip

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:27 PM

Thanks, I will look into a demo of iWorks in order to try Pages. I appreciate it. There seems to have been much chatter over the years about MS Publisher; many seem to want an equivalent for Macs and it seems particularly odd that even yet there is no clear winner. I should think this would be a big no-brainer money-maker for a software company: everyone and their elderly aunt puts out newsletters!! Oh well; hope this is the ticket -- I'll report back. Again, many thanks for taking the time to answer!

#4 User is offline   Bobapple 

• PipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:42 PM

Pages is more than a Publisher equivalent - it combines both word processing and page layout and produces pdfs. Publisher would be a consumer product, Pages a prosumer, InDesign a professional tool. You won't be able to import your Publisher docs into the others of course, because that's the Microsoft way.

#5 User is offline   deanthebean 

• PipPip

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:37 AM

in office 2008 microsoft word has the "publisher view", which is supposed to give publisher features but it is part of the whole office suite, so useless if you have iwork already

haven't tried it though...

#6 User is offline   aliris 

• Pip

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

Thanks all! I am currently about 25 days through a 30 day free iWorks trial period. I must say, I just love Pages. More even than MSWord which I happen to like as well.

So thanks for everyone's help. If another has this question, I do recommend just trying Pages for free. The whole software suite isn't terribly expensive at $70.

#7 User is offline   rab777hp 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Banned

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:48 PM

If you do not want to buy the whole iWork suite. You could try Open Office, it is free and open source. There are many tools for desktop publishing included.

#8 User is offline   Bobapple 

• PipPip

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:22 PM

Or try NeoOffice - has word proc, presentations, database, spreadsheet and draw program, all free (or a donation, which I recommend).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users