Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UserEventAgent not responding

#1 User is offline   AlOllers 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:59 PM

A few times a day the fan on my MacBook Pro (10.5 2) goes into overdrive even though I'm making few demands of it. The Activity Monitor shows a kernel task running, and a couple of related processes show up in red. Usually this is UserEventAgent, which is not responding. Sometimes it is also coreaudiod not responding.

Anyone know what causes this and if there's a fix?

Thanks very much.

#2 User is online   allenwatson 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:17 PM

http://discussions.a...075755&tstart=0

The Apple forum above has a couple of suggestions for the UserEventAgent issue. The general consensus is that it is related to some non-Apple USB device, particularly keyboards. (The folks who make the Kinesis keyboards have a firmware fix, and will apply it to your keyboard if you mail it to them.) If the keyboard that causes it is unplugged it does not happen. One suggestion is to log in as root, or use Terminal with "sudo", and moving the AppleHIDMouseAgent.plugin directory out of /System/Library/UserEventPlugins and then rebooting. Sounds a bit extreme, but I tried it and it worked for me. No visible ill effects yet.

#3 User is online   allenwatson 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:42 PM

Another culprit: the application "Hear", which enhances audio. The latest version, 1.0.2, in its "What's New" section on VersionTracker.com, has the following info:

What's new in this version:
Fixed problem where Hear was causing 'UserEventAgent' process to show as 'not responding'.
Fixed problem where Hear was causing 'coreaudiod' process in 10.5.3 to show as 'not responding'.

#4 User is offline   AlOllers 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

Fantastic, thanks very much! It was Hear that was causing the problem. Now updated and running fine.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users