Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Review: Best Sudoku apps for iPhone and iPod touch - Macworld Forums

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review: Best Sudoku apps for iPhone and iPod touch

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:51 AM

Post your comments for Review: Best Sudoku apps for iPhone and iPod touch here

#2 User is offline   Gee4orce 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:33 AM

No Sudoku Unlimited ? Is that not available on the US store or something ? And I can't find the EA Sudoku on the UK App Store...

#3 User is offline   TheBum 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:41 AM

I've had the same conundrum of too many versions and no trial option; this was a BIG help. Thank you!
Now if my iPhone would only get shipped to AT&T I'd be a happy camper. The order status changed from back-ordered to not back-ordered, so I may be getting closer.

#4 User is offline   lenbanks1964 

• PipPip

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:49 AM

Thank you for the side-by-side reviews. Please do this with the solitaire apps. I have commented to Apple about the need for a demo mode and/or trial period, but until then (if ever), this helps. Some app makers have demos or videos on their sites if you click through, but not enough. Certainly it is no big deal to waste a buck or two, but for the games that are closer to $10, I would not want to go through 2-3 to find the one I prefer.

#5 User is offline   ekchew 

• PipPip

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:01 AM

There is one app (Platinum Sudoku, by gameloft) that offers both Sudoku and Kakuro. I happen to love both! Is that one any good?

#6 User is offline   Bearfrieze 

• Pip

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:19 AM

Why don't any of these programs support just dragging and dropping the numbers? That would be much easier and truly intuitive...

#7 User is offline   daveedvdv 

• PipPip

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:40 AM

Interface-wise, I like Satori Sudoku the best. The version in the App store currently has a bug in that the generated games often don't have a unique solution. I'm told an update of the app has been submitted to address that. (It's also inexpensive, at $1.99.)

#8 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:46 AM

Gee4orce said:

No Sudoku Unlimited ? Is that not available on the US store or something ?

It's available; it just didn't make the cut ;)

And I can't find the EA Sudoku on the UK App Store...

How many do you see if you do an app search for Sudoku?

#9 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:47 AM

ekchew said:

There is one app (Platinum Sudoku, by gameloft) that offers both Sudoku and Kakuro. I happen to love both! Is that one any good?

It's not bad at all; in fact, it was one of the final five or so I chose from. If you're a fan of Kakuro, it's probably worth a try.

#10 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:49 AM

daveedvdv said:

Interface-wise, I like Satori Sudoku the best. The version in the App store currently has a bug in that the generated games often don't have a unique solution. I'm told an update of the app has been submitted to address that. (It's also inexpensive, at $1.99.)

I liked Satori's interface a lot, as well. In fact, it was only the (major) problem of multiple solutions that kept it from making my "Best of" list -- it would have been in my top 4. If that bug is indeed fixed in the next version, I'd recommend it, as well.

#11 User is offline   Gee4orce 

• PipPip

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:54 AM

[quote name='Dan Frakes']
> [quote name='Gee4orce']
> No Sudoku Unlimited ? Is that not available on the US store or something ?

It's available; it just didn't make the cut ;)
[/quote]
Why ever not ?! Its got 3 different skins, it's nice an intuitive, has infinite puzzles....

[quote]

> And I can't find the EA Sudoku on the UK App Store...

How many do you see if you do an app search for Sudoku?
[/quote]
17 I think - you can see for yourself by changing to the UK iTunes store at the bottom of the main page. Apps like Pandoro and AOL radio I can understand why we don't have them in the UK, but Sudoku ??

#12 User is offline   kevrev 

• Pip

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:15 AM

I really enjoy Sudoku Unlimited (SU) too but also purchased EA's Sudoku game as well. Given Dan's requirements that game play not cover any part of the puzzle that left SU out since you tap a square and a little box for answer/notation entry pops up nearby over a section of the grid. However, if you don't mind that style of game play I find its somewhat easier to quickly enter notation entries this way. (And I typically think through all entries before making them so it only covers the board briefly.) SU also has 3 different skins which I hope they update with more. The yellow paper skin is the easiest to read/play in my opinion. The default has too much of a 'glare' on the squares and the vanilla doesn't shade alternate grids.

The high-end graphics and Newspaper mode of EA's Sudoku are why I purchased that version as well. I bought it long ago for an iPod but the touch interface makes it soooo much better.

One important note, to me at least, is the music. EA's Sudoku has peaceful music that can get old quickly while wearing earphones ... even at a low setting. SU has no music, only game sound effects, so you can enjoy music from your iPhone playlists while playing this game. On a flight or any other long period of game play that will make a huge difference.

#13 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:33 AM

[quote name='Gee4orce']
> [quote name='Dan Frakes']
> > [quote name='Gee4orce']
> > No Sudoku Unlimited ? Is that not available on the US store or something ?
>
> It's available; it just didn't make the cut ;)
Why ever not ?! Its got 3 different skins, it's nice an intuitive, has infinite puzzles....
[/quote]

My biggest beef with it is that when you tap on a cell to enter notations or to solve the cell, the notation-entry system obscures a good part of the puzzle, making it impossible to enter notations while surveying the rest of the puzzle. That's a fatal flaw in my book, given that the three I covered here (and Satori, which evidently has a fix on the way) offer better interfaces and more features.

#14 User is offline   ekchew 

• PipPip

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

Thanks Dan! I might go with the Kakuro one, then, though I'll postpone the final decision until my vacation comes up in a couple of weeks. Who knows? There may be even more Sudoku apps out by that time!

Reviews like yours are quite valuable when there is no way to demo any of this stuff. Keep up the good work! I'm also in the market for an RPN calculator, in case you're wondering what to do next. ;-)

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users