Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Review: Best Sudoku apps for iPhone and iPod touch - Macworld Forums

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review: Best Sudoku apps for iPhone and iPod touch

#29 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:01 AM

wojtyspa said:

I purchased Sudoku from EA. I really enjoy the game. Contrary to the review I played Easy twice and Very Hard Unlocked. One "feature" I don't like is that it plays sound even if the phone is on silent. I enjoyed the review.

Yeah, I was also annoyed by that. You can turn off the audio during the game, but not at startup.

Thanks for the note about unlocking Very Hard. It looks like there's more than one way to do it.
EDIT: I just played Easy twice and Very Hard wasn't unlocked. Odd.

#30 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:11 AM

Gee4orce said:

Any idea why I can't get the EA version here though ? I probably would have bought that one if it had been available here.

My guess is that it has something to do with licensing. Are any EA games available there?

#31 User is offline   rootyb 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:09 PM

Bumping a somewhat old thread, I know. Was just Googling for the name of our app and ended up here.

So, that having been said, I'm one of the developers behind Sudoku Unlimited/Classic. Just wanted to let you know that our next update is going to address the "Oh noes! Popup covers board" issue, so if you decide to revisit the issue, we'd love to hear about it, as we don't really think any of the other Sudoku apps out there hold a candle to ours.

Of course, we're somewhat biased. ;)

As for the number keypad being in the same place every time, we chose to favor proximity (for speed) to keeping it in the same place (which would have required the keypad to be across the bottom, like just about everybody else).

(Thanks to everyone that had our back, too!)

#32 User is offline   Herve 

• Pip

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

What about SudokuManiak?
Puzzles are generated on the fly, so you can't play twice the same, and solution is unique. there are 6 different levels of difficulty too.
And there is a "Web challenge" in which you challenge other players on 1 unique sudoku everyday.
You can find it there: http://www.google.fr...VLyaQW_wEgC1gwQ
This is my favorite Sudoku on iPhone.
And only for .99$

#33 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:52 PM

It was released after the review was written. That said, I tried SudokuManiak yesterday and didn't like it nearly as much as the ones featured in the review.

#34 User is offline   jothesmo 

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:55 PM

I prefer Sudoku Unlimited - the notation system covering the screen does not bother me because when I tap on a square, I already know which candidates I want to eliminate (or add).

#35 User is offline   daveedvdv 

• PipPip

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:50 AM

Version 1.1 has hit the App Store, and it does indeed seem to generate correct puzzles. I think that puts it now among the better iPhone Sudoku options (at $1.99). It would be nice to have a timer as part of the app, but it's really quite nice as it is.

(Apparently there is another update in the App Store pipeline with UI tweaks.)

Daveed

#36 User is offline   roflwaffle 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2008 - 02:23 AM

Yea, just got the update to Satori Sudoku (had some issues with apple updater recently).. tested out a couple of the puzzles in an online solver, and all i tried had one solution :)

and they appear to be symmetric puzzles.. so the author can change "Unfortunately, none of the better Sudoku games available for the iPhone and iPod touch exclusively use symmetrical puzzles"

:) :)

Maybe Satori will come up with some non-symmetric puzzles, but every one I tried looked symmetric to me..

Anyway, glad they finally got that fix out :)

#37 User is offline   mfun 

• Pip

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:09 PM

There's no EA Sudoku on the Australian store either, in fact there's no EA games listed in the Australian App store at all. Do you have any ideas why this is?

#38 User is offline   houdah 

• PipPip

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:29 PM

Hi Dan!
I am surprised you didn't detail ACTSudoku. Actually, being the developer of ACTSudoku, I am quite disappointed.
Indeed, ACTSudoku measures up quite well by your standards:
- Uses a standard 9-by-9-cell grid of numbers with nine square (3-by-3-cell) regions.
CHECK
- Includes puzzles with only a single solution.
CHECK
- Provides a way to note (or “pencil in”) the possible values for each square as you solve a puzzle.
TRIPLE CHECK: positive makers, negative makers & optional automatic markers
- Offers good usability: easy-to-use input methods, clear controls, and readable graphics.
CHECK: actually requiring at least one less tap than any competitor
- Includes puzzles for multiple skill levels.
CHECK. ACTSudoku has 3 levels. (ACTSudoku FREE only has one)
- Unfortunately, none of the better Sudoku games available for the iPhone and iPod touch exclusively use symmetrical puzzles
Well, CHECK! Since version 1.1
Add to that: automatic markers, saved games, unlimited generated games, ...
Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

#39 User is offline   houdah 

• PipPip

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:30 AM

ACTSudoku 1.5 brought another unique feature: intelligent hints. No only do these help you to solve tricky puzzles. They actually teach you the strategies used to solve even the most difficult Sudokus. Comprehensive documentation details all of the strategies used.

The free version, ACTSudoku EASY, is limited to easy games. This makes it a great tool to get started with Sudoku and learn the reasoning involved in solving Sudokus. Once you master the easy level, you may move up to ACTSudoku UNLIMITED.

#40 User is offline   dbremer 

• Pip

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:55 AM

Dno't know why you didn't mention Enjoy Sudoku by Jason Linhart. I think this is one of the best if not the best Sudoku's out there. This is not only because it has an excellent tutorial but also that the Hints don't just fill in the blank. They point you to something you should consider and if that isn't enough they show you more including eventually some pretty sophisticated solution methods. It is clearly the best Sudoku I have used to actually learn techniques and improve my level of play.

#41 User is offline   houdah 

• PipPip

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:35 PM

I must admit to not having tried "Enjoy Sudoku". I would nonetheless like to point out that ACTSudoku also has a tutorial as well as hints which explain the reasoning rather than fill in random blanks.

#42 User is online   iamflimflam1 

• Pip

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:04 AM

If you like playing Sudoku then you should check out this app: Sudoku Grab It's probably the only Sudoku game on the iPhone that has a new and original feature - you can take a photograph of sudoku puzzle and then play it on your phone. Has to be seen to be believed.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users