• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Web sites we love: Your turn

#1 User is offline   Kelly Turner 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:13 PM

Feel like you visit the same sites over and over again? Even those of us who consider ourselves "in touch" with the latest hot spots on Internet can quickly get left behind. That's why, in the October issue of Macworld, we combed through our massive collection of bookmarks to find the 55 sites that we rely on for work, saving money, solving problems, and just goofing off. Some of these may be old news to you. But hopefully, a few will pique your interest and help you freshen up your your own bookmark bar.
We'd also like to hear from you. What do you consider to be an essential destination on the Web? Are there any sites you couldn't function without? Share your little-known online gems with us.
Kelly Turner
Senior Editor

#2 User is offline   danciingbrook 

• PipPip

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:11 AM

Is there a link to yours?

#3 User is offline   Kelly Turner 

• PipPip

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:36 PM

Right now the article is in the print magazine (the October 2008 issue). We'll be posting it online soon.

#4 User is online   davidanders 

• Pip

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:08 AM

Forum thread with many links to time wasting websites...

More fun wasting time

http://www.photoshop...read.php?t=5583

#5 User is offline   Philip Michaels 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:47 AM

Kelly Turner said:

Right now the article is in the print magazine (the October 2008 issue). We'll be posting it online soon.

In the meantime, here's a sneak preview of the article.

#6 User is offline   natmusak 

• PipPip

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:17 PM

Strange destination:

Neave Television (formerly Neave.tv):

http://www.neave.com/television/

I loathe Flash, but I didn't so much when I found this rather unique site of random videos of all kinds, which stream, one after the next, like a TV tuning into an alien frequency...except the alien world coming into focus...is our own.

It's changed since I last visited and now no longer gives you a menu for selecting which video to watch. It really is like channel hopping now. :D

Essential site:

RoughlyDrafted Magazine:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/

If I were a computer history teacher, this site would be required reading for all computer users. Daniel Eran Dilger is one hell of a tech writer. Yes, writer not blogger. Go into the archives to get the clearest picture of the history of computers or read his more current articles that debunk a majority of the uninformed tech media pundits. He lays each article out logically, so don't fear their length. They're never boring.

#7 User is offline   AndrewLawniczak 

• Pip

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:09 AM

I'm a graphic designer, so I use fonts ALOT in my work. Here are two sites that have helped me quite a bit.

What The Font

If you're looking to figure out what a particular font is to match it, this is the site to go to! You simply upload an image of the font (a word or two) and click 'submit' The engine will match your font to the closest matches in the system. This is linked to the PAID font site Fonts.com, so don't expect it to find any free fonts that would match your search :o) If the font is in the syste, it does a great job matching it up. Give it a try!

Font Space

A couple things make this a great spot to look for fonts.. the first is that it's FREE! The second is that it's user-edited and all the fonts have KEYWORDS to make the searching much easier! If you're looking for a scripty font, or a grungy font, or even the Coca Cola font, just try searching! Sometimes you can also search for a paid font name (that you got from the "What the Font" site above) and a matching FREE font will come up! Check this one out too!

#8 User is online   vawahine 

• Pip

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:03 AM

I have two that I visit daily. www.popurls.com is everything on one page.....digg.com, del.icio.us,reddit.com,flickr.com,buzz.yahoo.com,metafilter.com,truemors.com, youtube.com,newsgoogle.com,newsvine.com,nytimes.com,spike.com,wired.com,slashdot.org,boingboing.net,video.msn.com,fark.com,nowpublic.com,huffingtonpost.com,metacafe.com,mixx.com,clipmarks.com,dzone.com,videosift.comneatorama,com,stumbleupon.com,ma.gnolia.com,video.yahaoo.com,last.fm,behance.net,NUMEROUS other "Quickies", finally twitter.com. It is all well organized. A one stop "hey, what's happening?" spot. Love it!

And www.bookofjoe.com. Joe is a Charlottesville anaesthesiologist. His postings show new weird gadgets and oddities of life.

#9 User is online   cour10e22 

• PipPip

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:56 AM

This is definitely my favorite one right now:

http://www.internetarchive.org

Just punch in any website and you can see instances of it dating back for more than a decade. Check out Apple's website 10 years ago or in 2001 when the main image was the original iPod with the tagline "fit 1,000 songs in your pocket." Look at a news site just a day or two after 9/11. Kind of a creepy type of time capsule.

#10 User is offline   chipncut 

• Pip

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:46 AM

lumberjocks.com
While there are many woodworking sites on the Internet, few offer a free place for

DIY enthusiasts and professional woodworkers to showcase their projects.

Don’t be fooled by the name! Our Jocks include men and women of all ages and

they have woodworking skills of all levels. What they have in common is
that they love the smell of sawdust, they can’t wait to check out the

latest power tools and they have the desire to connect with other

woodworkers.

h2. Why Become A LumberJock?

* you can share your woodworking projects and experiences with others

* you get your own, free LumberJocks website and can share your showcase with
* family, friends, and other LumberJocks
* ([http://lumberjocks.c...s/yournamehere])
* you get unlimited, free space for blogging, questions and comments, and project sharing
* you can organize your projects and blogs with “tags” and the “blog series” option
* with each project posting you will have free space to post up to three
* pictures (for each project) and ample room to tell your project’s
* story. There is no limit to the number of projects you can post
* you receive a monthly e-magazine, free
* you can enter the LumberJocks Challenges and Awards events,
* which are held throughout the year

* you can participate in the camaraderie shared by the wonderful
* members of our LumberJocks community.
* Message was edited by: chipncut

#11 User is offline   mhellman 

• Pip

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

OK, this one isn't a time waster, but it could be a life saver: http://nuclearrisk.org/

#12 User is offline   SimpleBeep 

• PipPip

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:35 AM

One of my favourites is Orange Unlimited. It's a webpage that, as you scroll down, generates more content. It literally never runs out! Well, okay, it isn't actually a webpage, as it is flash-based, but if you ignore that fact, it is so fcuking cool!

#13 User is offline   donernst 

• Pip

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:58 AM

https://funppsfun.co...=download&id=55 is a really good site for PPS photos, humor and miscellaneous. My address book recipients generally rave about its content.

#14 User is offline   thm61 

• Pip

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:43 PM

Here's a couple of useful ones:
gethuman (www.gethuman.com) - Tells you how to break out of phone-tree hell and get a real live person at nearly 1000 companies.

Hard to Find 800 Numbers (www.hardtofind800numbers.com) - Just what it says. Yes, Virginia, you can contact Amazon by phone.

And I love the price comparison and coupon sites -- pricegrabber.com, shopping.com, shopping.yahoo.com, shopper.cnet.com, dealcatcher.com, naughtycodes.com, couponcabin.com, fatwallet.com, etc., etc., etc. --because, hey, who doesn't love a deal?

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users