Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Review: Aluminum MacBook Core 2 Duo/2GHz and 2.4GHz - Macworld Forums

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review: Aluminum MacBook Core 2 Duo/2GHz and 2.4GHz

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:05 PM

Post your comments for Review: Aluminum MacBook Core 2 Duo/2GHz and 2.4GHz here

#2 User is offline   Fixx 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:49 PM

"the LED display used in the MacBook is very bright, which tends to mitigate glare or reflectivity issues. Also, with a laptop you can adjust the angle and position of your computer in such a way to overcome many potential problems."
If you calibrate your display it is no longer very bright.. but of course, no one should do color work on MB screen.
Funny that everyone says laptop is easy to position and angle when with separate display it is way easier. But of course iMac may not be so easy.

#3 User is offline   Kyle_Varnell 

• PipPip

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:28 AM

I'm probably missing something here, but has Apple ditched Intel all-together? I vaguely recall both Steve and Paul Otellini standing at MacWorld talking about the things they were going to do in the future.
Is this future now history with the advent of Nvidia chips?

#4 User is offline   Jon Seff 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:49 AM

Not at all...Apple uses Intel's CPUs in every Mac.

#5 User is offline   technolawyer 

• PipPip

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:12 AM

I just sent the following feedback to Apple and suggest all of you do the same.
http://www.apple.com/feedback/
Dear Apple,
I'm among those who cannot use a glossy screen. The reflections distract me and cause eyestrain. My father is an eye surgeon. Ask him and he will tell you that glare is not healthy. (He uses a pre-glossy era iMac.)
Since 1999, my company has purchased 6 Mac laptops. We will never purchase another one until you offer a matte screen as a BTO option.
Perhaps a majority of people really do prefer glossy screens, but you certainly cannot deny the glare versus a matte screen. Also, you cannot deny that those of us complaining tend to be your long-time customers (my first computer was an Apple II Plus and my Mac SE got me through law school). So even if we are a minority, why not keep us in the fold with a BTO option?
PS: The same goes for your new Cinema Displays. Ask any of my friends. I put off buying a monitor for years waiting for you to offer one with a built-in iSight. You finally announce the Cinema Display of my dreams, but only with a glossy screen. So instead we just ordered 4 NEC LCD2470WNX monitors and 4 Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro Webcams.
Thank you.

#6 User is offline   peetz 

• PipPip

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:23 AM

I affirm everything that Technolawyer said.
I cannot use a gloss screen, and will not buy a Mac that has a gloss screen.
People say that the high LED lighting negates any reflection. Rubbish. I tried it out today. I placed a gloss iMac in a normally lit room, with a full sunlit day outside. The reflection of the window was just too distracting.
In a sense, I am irritated that reviewers say that just photographers and graphic artists are the ones who want matte screens, implying that the rest of us are cool with gloss screens. I am a writer, and an attorney too. I spend most of my day on word processor, composing documents, and starting at the screen while thinking about the documents I am preparing. I just cannot do this job properly with harsh reflections in the screen.
I too suffer from eyestrain as a result of the harsh glare.
I do not care for the rich colors of the gloss screen. I mostly use a white background with text. On the white background, the glare and detail of reflections -- particularly from a sunlit window -- are intolerable.
I use the Mac for work. Not for playing, and not for watching movies. It is a tool of trade, particularly for people who do a lot of writing.
Let me say this: the gloss screen is superb when one can avoid reflections. But there are situations when it is impossible to position the Mac to avoid those reflections.
Please, I am a Mac user from way back, and I've been loyal.
Please, Jobs, please bring back to matte option for both the MacBook Pro as well as the iMac.

#7 User is offline   totoro 

• PipPip

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:08 AM

Great review, Jonathan, thanks!
There is a pretty vocal faction on the Apple Discussion Boards right now whining about the LCD on the MacBooks (not the glossiness, the quality). Having used a lot of low cost notebooks in the past, I'm impressed with the MacBook's viewing angles and color rendition (although the MBP's is even better) Glad to see that you were at least satisfied with the displays-read the ranting on the Apple Board and you'd think Apple was using a calculator LCD instead :p

#8 User is offline   Schneb 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:11 AM

Fixx said:

Funny that everyone says laptop is easy to position and angle when with separate display it is way easier. But of course iMac may not be so easy.

This does not wash with me. I have to adjust Apple LCD displays to look like they are no washed out. To this day, I cannot view an LCD without seeing visible gradations in color and brightness.

#9 User is offline   acoustimac 

• PipPip

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:12 AM

A solution option for those that want new laptops and hate the glossy screen...buy a screen cover. There are options such as:
http://www.powersupp...php?category=pb
A Google search will help you find some of these solutions (basically anti-glare covers) and some aren't cheap.

#10 User is offline   MacGeekPro 

• PipPip

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:06 AM

Hey Jon,
How well does the 2.4 GHz Aluminum MacBook handle Aperture? Is it much improved over using a MacBook with an Intel GMA950?
Thanks in advance.

#11 User is offline   palane 

• PipPip

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:11 AM

I am amongst those who believes that many of the complaints over the glossy screen are overblown. In light of today's comments, I'll add attorneys to the list of photographers and illustrators).
I would like to see an article on after market diffusers. How does a screen with one of these, properly installed, compare with a straight matte screen?
If it's a wash, I'd suggest those commenting above think long and hard about Vista vs. OS X. It's a no brainer.
BB

#12 User is offline   Urenstaat 

• Pip

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:15 AM

I am not sure screen covers are any help. I have one for my Nokia E71 and I just managed to put it one without trapping any dust or air bubble under it. This will be more difficult for a 15-inch screen, or even 17-inch screen when that one gets updated to a glossy screen. I don't think one should have to put a piece of plastic on a brand new pro laptop to be able to use it professionally. I agree with technolawyer and peetz. But hey, I'm a writer too. I can always get a Windows laptop. I have no money invested in expensive software. I'd switch into John Hodgman in a heartbeat. Hi John, how are you doing?

#13 User is offline   technolawyer 

• PipPip

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:34 AM

acoustimac, thank you but no thank you. I'm not going to spend $2,000 or more on a laptop and then "fix" it by applying some cheap cover. That is not an acceptable solution. That's like buying a sports car and having to install a manual transmission yourself because it only comes in automatic. Only a real matte screen will do.

Also, as peetz noted, I wish MacWorld would stop marginalizing this issue by saying it only impacts graphic artists. MacWorld, have you conducted a poll using a random sample with a margin of error of +/- 3%? If not, then you're relying only on anecdotal evidence from which you cannot draw any conclusions about who dislikes glossy screens.

#14 User is offline   technolawyer 

• PipPip

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:37 AM

palane, who said anything about switching to Vista? We now use desktops Macs. And I'm hoping my old PowerBook can hang on for Keynote presentations until the day arrives when I can give those presentations from my iPhone.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users