Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Review: Grocery list applications for the iPhone - Macworld Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review: Grocery list applications for the iPhone

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:27 PM

Post your comments for Review: Grocery list applications for the iPhone here

#2 User is offline   Wondercow 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:51 AM

I'm surprised to see that Pick & Choose didn't make the review. For my money it's the best shopping app for the iPod/iPhone: fantastic interface (with a few minor quirks), great categorization, dead-easy product lookup, and the quantity "dial" can't be beat!

Oh, and Rob, it does have brand names in the database.

#3 User is offline   Megs 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:13 AM

I also have to echo the brand names in database thing for Grocery IQ. You indicated that brand names weren't in there, but they are. In fact, some of the even hyper local ones - like Shamrock Farms here in Arizona - are in Grocery IQ. That really impressed me. I used that application for the first time tonight since it's on sale for $1.99, and it was just fantastic.

#4 User is offline   I_like_Macs 

• PipPip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:46 AM

I've been using ShopShop for a few weeks now, and it's served me well! It's basic but a useful app, and I feel guilty that the author is giving it away for free, along with complementary updates. It may not serve more complicated needs, but for student grocery shopping, it seems more than adequate.

#5 User is online   RKDinOKC 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:22 AM

To wrangle the kids, collect a few coupons or print off a short list for each and send them on a grocery store treasure hunt.

#6 User is offline   stevesots 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:40 AM

Occram's Razor: I keep all my lists in Stickies on my Mac (a separate note for each store) and sync them to my phone. Why pay more?

#7 User is offline   griffman 

• old friend
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:23 AM

Sorry for the errors in the table -- I'll post an updated version later today with corrections. This was the largest iPhone comparo I've ever done; keeping 22 apps straight (even with notes typed as I tested) was tricky at times. Still, I shouldn't have made those mistakes.
What also made this comparo unique is that there are many good programs, and which you prefer probably comes down to how you feel about the program's interface. Unfortunately, you can't download demos in the App Store, so you're sort of on your own -- that's why I chose to include the table, and advised readers to check out the screenshots and reviews in the store for the other apps -- these three programs were the three I liked the best, but there are other good ones out there.
-rob.

#8 User is offline   griffman 

• old friend

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:25 AM

RKDinOKC: Great idea, except they'll need to get a bit older first -- at 2.5 and 5.5 years of ag, I don't think that would be a successful experiment yet :). But I'll definitely keep it in mind down the road!
-rob.

#9 User is offline   pbcginfo 

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:26 AM

I have to say 3 $ for the top-rated app is quite affordable, but I'd really like to know: how do you sync your Stickies to your phone?

#10 User is offline   dougjackson 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:41 AM

I have used Splashshopper on PamOS for years. The problem referred to on the NEED view (alphabetc list) was fixed on the last update and now it works fine (again). I recommend it as a full-featured shopping manager and not just as a grocery list. But it is a good grocery list that works very well.

#11 User is online   RKDinOKC 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:58 AM

Kid Wrangling while shopping?That's why you start with coupons, they have a picture of the product!

#12 User is offline   sheilanolan 

• PipPip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:37 AM

I've been using SplashShopper for quite a while now as I can create custom lists. When I'm out shopping, all I have to do is tap the item in the need list and it's removed. If I'm doing a week's shopping, this feature means I don't miss items and the different ways of sorting the list mean I get round much quicker making it a less painful experience!

#13 User is online   reelcool 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:27 AM

I use Zenbe Lists because it allows updates to my grocery list via iPhone or web. My g/f can update the list even though she doesn't own an iPhone.
That said, Zenbe is a general list app, not specific to groceries, so it's missing a lot of features. But until I find a grocery list app that can be updated via a website, I'll keep using it.

#14 User is offline   pdbreske 

• PipPip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:46 AM

As is the case with so many apps in the App Store, one of these apps has been updated since this review was written. Shopper v2.0 was released today and now supports multiple lists.
I've been using Shopper for a long time and love it. Simple interface, but very customizable. At $5 it's one of the more expensive shopping apps, but I find it works really well for me.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users