Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Airport Utility cannot detect Airport, even though I'm connected to network. - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Airport Utility cannot detect Airport, even though I'm connected to network.

#1 User is offline   VioletteDudley 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:26 AM

I'm trying to reset the software on my Airport, an older, Dual Ethernet model (looks like a UFO). I am connected to my network, but not to the internet (not the modem, because internet works with LAN cable). I think my problem started after a recent Apple Update.

When I try to access the Airport, the utility says no wireless device can be detected. I plugged in an Airport Express, and got the same message. No wireless devices.

I tried using the CD that came with the APExpress, but can't install it because there is a more up-to-date version on the computer. I even tried putting the existing Airport Utility in the trash, and restarting the computer, but it still says there is a more up-to-date version on the computer - but I sure can't find it.

Running Leopard on a Mac Mini Intel Core Duo.

Do I just need to buy a NEW router to be able to connect wirelessly to the web?

HELP!

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   rab777hp 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Banned

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:53 AM

Try pressing the factory reset button.

#3 User is offline   VioletteDudley 

• PipPip

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:55 AM

I tried a soft reset, pressing the reset button, but to no avail. Same story on the Airport Express. I did a soft and a hard reset on the Express.

Still no detected wireless.

Grrrr.

#4 User is offline   sandbag1 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

Did you try resetting your modem? Maybe you're looking for an Airport problem where it may be your modem.

Oops. I see that your Airport Utility will not detect your network. When I read that your LAN is working, I misunderstood.

If you open System Profiler and look at Airport Card, does it show that all is OK?

#5 User is offline   scarlco 

• Pip

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:05 AM

Ensure that your computer is using DHCP in the network preferences as opposed to having an IP address assigned manually. Having an IP that is out of the airport's range could result in the utility being unable to find it.

#6 User is offline   VioletteDudley 

• PipPip

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:06 PM

I had tried resetting the modem, but the problem isn't there. This week, I got a laptop to try and reach the airport. (thought maybe another computer with older Airport Assistant software might work). No luck there. Using AIrport Admin Utility, I don't get any airport to show up in a scan. However, if I click "other" I can enter a password (presumable for the airport). If I enter the wrong password, I get a message saying that the password is incorrect. HOWEVER, if I enter the correct password for the airport in question, I get (after a while of a spinning beach ball), an error notice saying "The Airport Admin Utility was unable to read teh configuration of the selected base station. An error occurred while reading the configuration."

I'm assuming this means that I've at least reached the right airport (though I can't really be sure), but that there is something wrong. I don't know if it just means that the airport itself is shot. I'm perplexed mostly that the computer would still show a solid connection to the network, but not able to make the connection through that network to the web, which IS available if I plug directly into the ethernet connection to the modem.

The guy at Apple, while telling me that they no longer provide support for this airport, said he thought I should try to reconfigure the airport software. Or at at least that's what I understood him to say.

But because I cannot reach the airport configuration through Airport Admin software, I'm at a loss.

I just tried a hard restart of the airport, but that didn't do the trick either.

Totally lost here.

Thanks for any advice...

#7 User is offline   VioletteDudley 

• PipPip

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:08 PM

Oops, forget to mention,

Yes, I tried the profiler. Nothing to indicate a problem in the airport card.

#8 User is offline   dcpics 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

OK, are you using Airport Utility or the older Airport Admin Utility?

Just asking since you said in a later post Admin Utility.

The one with Admin in it works only with much older base stations like the old graphite one, I think.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users