Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:45 PM

Post your comments for Review: AccuWeather.com for iPhone here

#2 User is offline   derekm 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

Jeff,
I agree with pretty much everything you said. In addition I have three points:
1) The Indicies tab seems to reinforce the controversy surrounding AccuWeather and their fee-based weather business model. It seems that they're trying a little too hard to come up with some pretty graphics that differentiate them from most free weather apps and news outlets. What exactly is an arthritis index and what would I do if it was high? Try not to bend my fingers?
2) The alarms tab is way too zealous at warning you of inpending doom. (Again with the fee-based model.) An inch or two of snow over a 5 day period in the winter is not my idea of an alarm but AW can't wait to vibrate just to let you know how important this information really is.
3) I have been comparing Apple's (Yahoo!) weather app, Weatherbug, and AW, and all seem to have forcasts that vary outside of what I'd consider to be a reasonable variation. I don't know which was most accurate, but I would not go so far as to say that AW was equal in accuracy. I have noticed at times that it will display a current temp outside the low/high for the day. How is that even possible? I know the forecasts are constantly updated so you'd think they'd just automatically change it if the temp went out of bounds.

#3 User is online   sporobolus 

• PipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:17 PM

AccuWeather sometimes has wildly different forecast for my location than other sources
i prefer Weather Underground; its full browser version (wunderground.com) is marvelously detailed and includes a network of local weather stations; the iPhone version, i.wund.com, is very simple and usable

#4 User is offline   alansky 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:42 PM

I, too, was disappointed in Accuweather's iPhone app, although it is the only one of those mentioned on this page that provides any hour-by-hour weather data at all. My biggest gripe is that not only do you have to return to a list of saved locations to change location, but you must be careful to avoid the big red "Delete" buttons on this screen. Most iPhone apps require the user to press an "Edit" button to get to a Delete screen. This is not good interface design, imho.
Personally, I rely on a combination of the iPhone's built-in weather app (which is an excellent way to keep track of a bunch of locations) and the Wunderground mobile website. The best thing about the built-in weather app is that it can find almost any location, even out-of-the-way places like Todos Santos, Mexico and Tiruvannamalai, India.

#5 User is offline   spinoza2 

• PipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:48 PM

Though I want to like AccuWeather (I lived in their home base--State College, PA, for many years), I always find myself sticking with my long-time favorite, Weather Underground. The new AW iPhone is really slick-looking, like Jeff notes, but it is not as densely packed and functional as Weather Underground. Jeff's review would have been more useful if he had done a head-to-head comparison with Weather Underground, rather than Weather Channel.

#6 User is offline   cv 

• PipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

You can see which weather forecasting service is the most accurate at Forecast Advisor (www.forecastadvisor.com).

#7 User is offline   Olu 

• PipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:22 PM

I wanted to like this app also, but continue to use TWC application. As mentioned in the article, I need to know before I go to bed what the temperature at 6am will be (to get my running gear together). Accuweather doesn't give me this info. The "real feel" is just plain wrong, when compared to other sources. The pretty graphics ARE pretty, but as you use the application you realize they're useless. There is no way to differentiate light rain from heavy rain, snow shower vs wintery mix..etc. Also not mentioned in this review is speed. Once TWC has info loaded (1-2 seconds), switching between forecasts isn't instantaneous., Accuweather takes a few seconds between forecasts.
I'll keep watching this app, because I want to like it...maybe version 2.0

#8 User is offline   alansky 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:44 PM

I routinely keep tabs on the weather in several different places and have noticed that no two weather sites ever seem to agree about conditions in any location. I mean that the posted weather data is almost never the same. This is very odd considering that all weather services should ultimately be getting their data from the same sources.

#9 User is offline   CharulatGrover 

• Pip

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the review, I wasn't a big fan of this app when I used it, in fact it lasted about a week before it was kicked out.
I went back to using the weather feature in Pocket Express which I think is pretty good.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users