• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:55 AM

Post your comments for Macworld Pulse: John Gruber here

#2 User is offline   LowededWookie 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

What's up with the crappy and useless titles?

#3 User is offline   Photonerd 

• PipPip

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:39 PM

I'm not entirely sure why we're supposed to care... John makes some good points from time to time but it would be great if he actually practiced his presentation and/or learned to stay on point / not have so many odd pauses. This should've been a 10 minute presentation.

#4 User is offline   flybynight 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:42 PM

Let's just hope he's not related to Hans Gruber...
http://www.imdb.com/...cter/ch0001757/

#5 User is offline   People_Eater 

• PipPip

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:13 PM

I agree with the above. The titles and blank screens are terrible, and Gruber's presentation is very weak.
Gruber knows how to write, so why didn't he write his presentation ahead of time? It sounds like he's just randomly rambling.

#6 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:19 AM

Anybody else have the problem where they just can't stay focused when the speaker says "eh" constantly?
Having read DF from time to time, I was looking forward to this video presentation with him but turned away after a few minutes.
Poorly prepared and presented, imho.

#7 User is offline   awinthrop 

• Pip

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:55 AM

Typical Gruber. More rambling about things that just don't matter. I'm much more stupid having watched that. It amazes me how full of himself he is, yet he actually makes a living with his punditry.
At least he stopped going on and on about Twitter. Guess too many people are using it now, and it's not as 1337 as it used to be.
This message was typed with Helvetica 10 pt font.

#8 User is offline   snivbonk 

• Pip

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

I'm French and married to an American and I'm constantly coming back to this notion of Auteur, because it is absolutely key to understanding the outlook of the French on anything. Whatever the object, art, business, manufacturing, politics, anything, they want to understand the intention of the putative Auteur. And the value of that object is first and foremost judged on whether its «A auter-ness A> shines through.
So obviously, I think John Gruber's is right to talk about this subject, because in my (admittedly froggy) view, it is indeed what makes the difference, and it is something in my experience Americans don’t think about much if at all...

#9 User is offline   amadeopuzzo 

• PipPip

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:13 AM

Gruber is an ass. Why does Jason Snell love him so?

#10 User is offline   TiggerToo 

• PipPip

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

made all the more classy by being embedded from YouTube! can't you guys afford web hosting or at least Vimeo Plus?

#11 User is online   danilo 

• Pip

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:33 AM

I like Gruber a lot. His positions on Apple and product development are right on the money. I went into the video expecting the razor-sharp insight and compelling reasoning that he brings to his essays. Instead, the talk is meandering and unfocused to the point of being unwatchable. You can see the direction he's heading in but the path is too circuitous to be enjoyable.
Gruber has the potential to give a compelling talk but he'll need to work on putting his speech onto the same rails that make his writing so readable.

#12 User is offline   mtreder 

• Pip

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:19 AM

John Gruber has a penetrating mind and the rare ability to articulate his musings in print with unerring clarity and style.
The presentation is fine, no better or worse than most. The question: Why do projects backed by loads of talent so often result in a product that is less than the sum of its parts? The insight, concerning the symbiotic relationship between talent and taste (in the best cases), is classic Gruber: smart, pithy, and thought-provoking.
As he puts it: "The quality of any collaborative creative endeavor tends to approach the level of taste of whoever is in charge." Or, to use his metaphor of film, the fate of a project rests on the shoulders of the person with "final cut." A highly developed, even dominating aesthetic (think Hitchcock) is key. Put simply: Taste matters.
Daring Fireball exemplifies the rarified taste of which he speaks.

#13 User is offline   lecolombier 

• Pip

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

I like his speech a lot.
Critics can be made on his quality as a speaker, and even on the presentation.
However doing so is loosing the actual point of the speech which I find brilliant.

#14 User is online   danilo 

• Pip

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:00 PM

Gruber's points are excellent and important. The talk encompasses the underlying theses codified in nearly every essay he writes. His method of conveying it just wasn't the best. Gruber would be the first to point out that the quality of the medium is as important as the content conveyed. Daring Fireball features applications on a regular basis whose function is laudable but whose interface is weak. There's nothing wrong with pointing out that the presentation could use some polish. To fail to notice would be unfair to John, who I would guess wants to be the best at what he does. Gruber doesn't give a pass to any of the mediocrity that falls beneath his judging eye. Why should he get a pass himself? Beyond that, I really like his work. How will this guy, who I respect, ever improve himself if I and others don't do our duty as detail-obsessed neurotics and let him know where he needs improvement? I hope he gets many more speaking gigs on this subject and turns into the same powerhouse as a presenter that he is as a writer.

btw, I don't know how anyone could be at peak performance at the end of a tradeshow week, so I'm sure that factors in.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users