#2 User is offline   KGBguy 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:31 AM

Faces is lame, poorly developed.

#3 User is offline   TheBum 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:39 AM

Somebody on one of the podcasts I listen to (MacBreak Weekly?) said that it worked with his dog too.

#4 User is offline   TAllenSr 

• PipPip

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:40 AM

Seeing that you only look at iPhoto '09 Chris, should that not be the title of this post? Good stuff though!

#5 User is offline   albertw 

• PipPip

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:46 AM

KGBguy said:

Faces is lame, poorly developed.

Maybe that's because all the KBG guys look the same. Ivan, Ivan, Ivan, Ivan, Ivan, Ivan, Ivan, Ivan, Ivan, Ivan, Ivan, Ivan...
:)

#6 User is offline   dbutenhof 

• PipPip

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:21 AM

Faces seems to work really well on some faces, and not so well on others; I've encountered a few where, after a single identification, it'll find nearly everything with hardly any mistakes; and others where I'll train it on a dozen fairly clear pictures and it still makes frequent mistakes. But the more data you feed it, the better it gets. I like it; and it'll help a lot in organizing photos of family and friends.
The weirdest part is that on some pictures with fairly prominent and recognizable faces, Faces doesn't even notice there's a face there. But it's not hard to add.
Refining the recognition is a straightforward, moderately tedious, and somewhat addictive process.
Places sounds potentially interesting; but GPS cameras need to become a lot more widely available. The iPhone does seem to tag pictures; but that's hardly a general purpose camera.

#7 User is offline   pcharles 

• PipPip

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:34 PM

It takes a small amount of effort to train it, but once this is done it actually works really well. Face recognition is extremely complex and I think Apple has done an excellent job of making it user friendly.

#8 User is offline   chrisgalen 

• PipPip

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

Ahhhhh....I little too much organization for me. All the time you spend organizing these photos could be spent a little more productive. Basically this years releases from Apple at Macworld were a bust...

#9 User is offline   rnb2 

• PipPip

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:38 AM

Assuming you ever want to be able to find any of this information from your photos in the future, the whole point of these features is increased productivity. You don't get increased productivity automatically, you know? It usually involves implementing some sort of system - that system might take time to develop and refine, but the point is that it will save time in the long run. Faces and Places help in developing that system.

#10 User is offline   chase 

• PipPip

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

HUGE QUESTION: What if I spent 2 hours naming all of my faces on my MacBook Pro??? Do I have to do it all again on my iMac, too !?!?!? $%#@%

#11 User is offline   Schneb 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:11 AM

This should be titled "Hands on with iPhoto '09" or "Hands on with iLife '09-iPhoto" if it is going to be a series.

#12 User is offline   dwd3885 

• PipPip

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:46 AM

uh, you wouldn't have to if you copy your iphoto library from your macbook pro and place it on your imac..Otherwise, of course you would, because the libraries aren't synced.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users