• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:57 PM

Post your comments for Review: Weather radar apps for iPhone here

#2 User is offline   duvel 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

"None of these apps provide general weather forecasts or videos or even simple information like the current temperature."
I use MyWeather Mobile, which does provide forecasts and more, as well as radar; in fact, rotating the screen gives you full screen radar animation.

#3 User is offline   TowerTone 

• PipPip

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

Ditto here on the MyWeather Mobile. The radar is excellent, and the multi-city forecast and trends are perfect for my line of work. Loads pretty fast, even on Edge networks. I also keep The Weather Channel app for a back-up.

#4 User is offline   WadeHM 

• Pip

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:49 PM

Accuweather and the Weather Channel apps are limited for sure, but decent enough for free. Both those apps maps update every 15 minutes by the way, so I don't know where you get your stats on The Weather Channel app. Neither are perfect but if an app were made with the best features of each, that would make a good weather app.

#5 User is offline   anderkh 

• Pip

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:08 AM

I have to throw my 2 cents in as well... MyWeather Mobile is what I use every day.

#6 User is offline   nr2d 

• Pip

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:15 AM

I use RadarScope. I like it very much. It gives me that last radar info and is updated more frequently than just the normal weather radar. With an Aviation and Boating background, work in aviation have a boat, when bad weather is coming I would rather look at the NEXRAD data.

#7 User is online   olderbrother 

• PipPip

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

The best I've found, because it has nice animated radar and text forecasts all in one, is actually a web app called Weather Underground:
http://i.wund.com/
Just navigate (on your Mac if you like) to your favorite locations and then bookmark them. Then after syncing, you can put the bookmark(s) on your iPhone home page.
I wish Macworld and iPhone Central would review more web apps for iPhone and iPod Touch - in some cases they provide more and better functionality than the App Store apps.

#8 User is offline   crawdad62 

• PipPip

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for everyone that suggested MyWeather Mobile. I've been following weather apps for a while now and a radar app in particular.
Seems like all the reviews for the apps were never too great and mentioned short-givings that were pretty hard to overlook. MyWeather Mobile while not perfect is very good. I can't believe I've never seen it. Anyway thanks.

#9 User is online   ecamm 

• Pip

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:59 AM

Another ditto for MyWeather Mobile. It's a very well-designed app.

#10 User is offline   rgetter 

• PipPip

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:31 AM

Even though its comparatively primitive, I've been using the radar snapshot feature of WeatherBug. It is linked to Google Maps for quick and easy zooms. Other screens provide a readout of current conditions and even a local weather cam, useful for those of us who are nowhere near a window.
Realizing that the original WeatherBug started life as one of the most annoying pieces of spyware available for Windows, this incarnation seems pretty harmless.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users