Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: What the iPhone OS 3.0 update might really mean - Macworld Forums

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What the iPhone OS 3.0 update might really mean

#43 User is offline   justme2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:00 PM

I'm confused -- is this just a software update (to 3.0) or is this an entire new iPhone (which is what some people seem to be suggesting, with boosting the storage past 16GB, 4G capability, etc.).

What I'd like to see is CUT and paste, especially in Mail so that it's easier to edit mails (and to delete extraneous stuff like if it's an email with a lot of back and forth stuff). Running apps in the background would be great (so I could listen to one of my radio apps while checking email or surfing the Web), but that might have to wait for an actual new iPhone with better memory management (I frequently come up with low memory issues on some apps if I haven't turned off the iPhone in some time). Hadn't thought about Landscape mode for Mail, but that would come in handy especially with some of the email newsletters I get. Flash compatibility (outside of YouTubes) would be good, but that's probably more an Adobe problem than an Apple one right now. And I hope that current apps will continue to be compatible with the new 3.0 OS, so I don't have to wait around for developers to post updates for all my current apps.

#44 User is offline   dicklacara 

• PipPip

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

@eamgt

The subscription idea for apps is a good one. However I don't think Apple knows how to do subscriptions thru iTunes... not to mention how to charge their fair cut for a subscription .

But this can be worked out.

One option, for some apps would be to charge for content if the content is perishable (news, sports scores, etc.)

#45 User is offline   LowededWookie 

• PipPip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:10 AM

Withdrawal comment.

I just realised that poster had inadvertently placed his name before posting a quote.

Shame really, it wasn't a half bad response.

#46 User is offline   emmgee 

• Pip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:49 AM

"In my imagination, this device will one-up the Amazon Kindle 2 by becoming the next true, connected device"... In my mind, the beauty of the iPod was less about its technical attributes and it was more because it was part of the iTunes ecosystem. I want a Kindle or something like it because I love to read. I would buy it because it's part of the Amazon bookstore ecosystem. I don't want a book reader, I want books. If Apple can deliver books (I want textbooks, trade magazines, and technical literature, not just classics and best sellers) then I'm there. If it's just a whizzy gadget, I'll stick with my iPhone and MBP - and probably buy a Kindle.

#47 User is offline   sirfuzzitoes 

• Pip

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:48 AM

- Video capture capability
- Multimedia messaging capability
- Text forwarding
- More comprehensive mass texting capabilities
- Landscape format for texting
As you can see, most of my hopes are text-driven, but in my mind, being that I own what is supposed to be the ultimate mobile computing machine (outside of a full-blown computer) these seemingly minor features should have already been included. I am by no stretch of the imagination a developer, code writer, or anything that comes close to even touching the development process of a product like this, but I can imagine it's not really that hard. If I can send music from my desktop wirelessly to a receiver in another portion of my house, text forwarding seems a bit simple to me.

#48 User is offline   Photog_7 

• PipPip

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:46 AM

I guess I must be the only iPhone owner on the planet who wants a real (folding external Bluetooth) keyboard to type something longer than a quick reply to emails. Typing emails on the iPhone is not pleasant. If we're talking about true productivity, I think we need a real folding Bluetooth keyboard that I can use when I get back to my hotel room.

#49 User is offline   Zenfire 

• Pip

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:53 AM

None of these features mean anything if you can't get decent connectivity most of the time. Even with 3G, only with full bars is Safari semi-useful. Seems to be true across much of the US. Apple needs to open up the iPhone to other carriers. Others are texting or talking and I can get no signal.

#50 User is offline   GordieSea 

• Pip

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:10 AM

Copy & Paste is number one. Landscape orientation for all apps is #2. Satelite assistance with Maps when cell service is nonexistant is #3.
I am waiting with baited breath! Whatever that means 8-)

#51 User is offline   argonaut 

• PipPip

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

Am I he only one that thinks a netbook-type device based on the iPhone OS would be a Very Bad Thing? Given the limited functionality of the iPhone OS (even 3.0) vs. full OS X (no multitasking, no sharing data between apps, etc), I would NOT buy such a device ("all the functionality of an iPhone, but twice the size and weight!") at any price, and can't imagine why anybody else would. They'd be better off starting from the MacBook Air and trying to get that right (at a reasonable price).

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users