• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can I send a fax through my iMac?

#1 User is offline   Alan 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

I have a scanner connected so can I end a fax?

#2 User is offline   mdawson 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

Faxing requires the ability to dial out and Macs have not included modems for quite some time. If you have a modem and the necessary software, then yes it is possible to send a fax. Otherwise, ending a fax is exactly what will happen. ;)

#3 User is offline   Alan 

• PipPip

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

I wonder if there is a way through Skype or MagicJack?

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

mdawson said:

Faxing requires the ability to dial out and Macs have not included modems for quite some time. If you have a modem and the necessary software, then yes it is possible to send a fax. Otherwise, ending a fax is exactly what will happen. ;)

[~39151] addressed the "typical" way...i.e. if you want to want to send a fax, you need a fax modem and the appropriate software to work with it...and then you must hook up the fax modem to a working phone line (which can be a VOIP line if it works as a "typical" phoneline...i.e. you can hook up a regular phone to it).

There are other ways.

One way would be to use an Internet "fax service". An example of such a service is www.efax.com. Some offer free accounts, but they will be limited. You might be "forced" into a paid for account if you do any substantial faxing. Basically, you email an electronic document (i.e. a PDF or a Word document, etc depending on how the service operates) to an email address that they specify to you and then they "fax it". So, you could scan in some document and save is a PDF and then fax it using the service. And if you receive a fax, they send it to you as an email message with an attachment. This method requires no fax modem or phone line (unless you get your Internet connection through a phone line by way of dial-up or DSL).

#5 User is offline   mdawson 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:47 AM

smax013 wrote:

>

One way would be to use an Internet "fax service".... Basically, you email an electronic document (i.e. a PDF or a Word document, etc depending on how the service operates) to an email address that they specify to you and then they "fax it". So, you could scan in some document and save is a PDF and then fax it using the service. And if you receive a fax, they send it to you as an email message with an attachment.

I had never heard of online faxing services, but it sounds like quite a bit of extra tedium just to accomplish what e-mail performs. :) If you have to go through the trouble of creating an electronic version of a document then it would be much easier to just send it through e-mail and be done with it.

ADDENDUM

Still a good suggestion if it suits Alan's need.

#6 User is offline   mdawson 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:50 AM

Alan wrote:

>

I wonder if there is a way through Skype or MagicJack?

Possibly. Those services emulate phones, but you would still need faxing software if it is feasible to fax through those services.

#7 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:10 AM

mdawson said:

I had never heard of online faxing services, but it sounds like quite a bit of extra tedium just to accomplish what e-mail performs. :) If you have to go through the trouble of creating an electronic version of a document then it would be much easier to just send it through e-mail and be done with it.

ADDENDUM

Still a good suggestion if it suits Alan's need.

I agree...it is kind of pain in the rear for any "paper" documents that you want to fax, which is why I don't use such a service myself (I use a plain old fashion fax machine...OK, it is an all-in-one...that is hooked to a Vonage line). It is MUCH less hassle if the document you want to fax is already in electronic form (i.e. a Word document).

But, you are correct...even in more general terms. In today's world, fax machines are becoming more and more unneeded. In general, email has largely taken over what many do by way of email. But, it is still sometimes a necessity for more "official" type documents that require a signature (if they can be done in any way other than in person).

In today's world, I RARELY use my fax machine anymore, but I keep it around for those few rare occasions for when I need it.

#8 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:33 AM

mdawson said:

Possibly. Those services emulate phones, but you would still need faxing software if it is feasible to fax through those services.

And those services would also need some ability to interface with that faxing software, which usually means that such VOIP services must be able to be used with a normal phone (i.e. you have a normal phone jack to plug a phone into)...which would then still require a fax modem and fax modem software...just like a normal phone line. I do not of any way where fax software could "interface" with Skype's default/free service (you can send a file by way of Skype, but that is kind of like sending a file by email) or even their paid for service (other than maybe their Skype To Go service, but that still would require a normal phone line as well) as I don't believe there is any way to hook a normal phone up to Skype and I don't know how fax software would make use of the Skype software. MagicJack should work as you can hook up a regular phone as far as I know...thus, with a fax modem and fax modem software, you should be able to fax with it I would assume.

#9 User is offline   sandbag1 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:48 AM

Isn't faxing still supported in Leopard? The Preference pane is still called "Print & Fax so I assume it does. I use the Apple Modem with my Intel iMac and Page Sender Fax and it works seamlessly.

#10 User is offline   surtur 

• PipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:15 AM

Because electronic signatures haven't really become mainstream and most forms I encounter even pdf require filling out and signatures I have to have a paper fax.

I have a 5 (?) year old Brother MFC 5440CN (ink is $4 ea) that works great as a printer, copier, scanner, fax for my small business. I recently bought a Brother 575 (inkless) fax at Staples for $9.99 after rebate that uses something that looks like carbon paper? I figured if I need to replace the 5440 someday I may not get a full MFC since I only fax 25-50 times a year.

Sometimes I fax and the line is busy so I have to refax, for those I scan/print to pdf and email the file.

#11 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:41 PM

sandbag1 said:

Isn't faxing still supported in Leopard? The Preference pane is still called "Print & Fax so I assume it does. I use the Apple Modem with my Intel iMac and Page Sender Fax and it works seamlessly.

To my knowledge, yes...and that would be a specific "implementation" of the more "generic" references/ideas to a fax modem and fax software that we were making.

#12 User is offline   dougster 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

-Hi,

Might give eFAX a free test drive.They say its Mac friendly da-boot. When somebody needs a document or whatever, we scan it and just pop it into a real FAX machine. But I assume you want your Mac to do it ALL. Can't see the purchase of a modem to do that though.

#13 User is offline   Alan 

• PipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

Just contacted eFax and they said;

"The basic cost
for eFax Plus service is $16.95 per month. A one-time activation fee of
$10.00 is also applied during the first month of your service. This
Plan includes 130 free incoming pages every month. Outbound faxing
carries a fee of $0.10 per page (60-second transmission time or less)
to destinations in USA.
"

The first month is free but there is a hookup charge so I guess that means it isn't free. So this is obviously more for big time fax users. Unfortunately my Canon MP600 does everything but fax, so maybe I'll look at an inexpensive Brother just for gfaxingas was suggested.

I very rarely fax because the scanner works so well, but I was asked to fax a resume. So whaddaya do? When I called the guy he was on the other side of the world (pilot) and I woke him up, so I didn't think it was wise to beg him for his email address.

#14 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:02 PM

eFax does have a free service, but I believe it is only for receiving (they used to allow VERY limited sending with it, but it appears they cut it back).

If you do a Google search, you will find free options. Don't know how good or reliable they are or what they might do with your information that you fax...but they are out there.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users