• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:03 AM

Post your comments for NeoOffice 3.0 now available for download here

#2 User is offline   Manusnake 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:39 AM

I hope it is better at handling large spreadsheets on Mac than OOo3 is, we'll see.

#3 User is offline   BrightShade 

• Pip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:50 AM

I just finished a 30-slide presentation that I started with PowerPoint 2008. By the time I reached 20 slides, PowerPoint was just crawling on a G5 Quad with 12GB of RAM -- it couldn't even keep up with typing simple text.
I brought up the slides in NeoOffice and was pleased to find the performance snappy and quick. While some of the menus and options are organized differently than PowerPoint, the performance made the additional learning curve a worthwhile investment.
I had been considering Office 2008, but instead I will make a donation to the NeoOffice effort and pocket the savings.

#4 User is offline   Hurley42 

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

I would love to see an article comparing NeoOffice 3.0 to the current version of OpenOffice. I have downloaded both and notice some minor differences, but I am not sure which I will stick with. After finally dumping MS Office, I am using a combination of iWork, OpenOffice, and NeoOffice. I expect to continue to keep iWork as a companion to one of the free office suites since neither OpenOffice nor NeoOffice displays complex documents (background graphics and some layouts) created in Word very well - but Pages 09 seems to display them fairly well.

#5 User is offline   Photonerd 

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:21 AM

Will try it again... my iWork demo just expired. ;)

#6 User is offline   alansky 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:32 AM

"... instead I will make a donation to the NeoOffice effort and pocket the savings." --BrightShade
The savings are already in your pocket! Don't start talking like a tv commercial. It's bad for your image.

#7 User is offline   bousozoku 

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:38 AM

Since I'm still using a PowerBook, this is the best option for me for MS Office compatibility. A final OpenOffice 3.x isn't available--the release is stuck in beta.
The download didn't seem any bigger than in previous releases. Performance was good and the auto-completion of familiar words was helpful, but took some time to figure out.
It's nice to see that someone has gone to so much trouble to bring a large suite of applications to Mac OS X.

#8 User is offline   hagen 

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

Hands down, NeoOffice. I tried it and OpenOffice at the same time about 18 months ago and chose NeoOffice since it didn't require booting X11 first. In addition it provided better integration of Mac specific features. For a list of things, look here:
http://www.neooffice...a/en/faq.php#11
and here:
http://www.neooffice...en/features.php
try them both out and go with what you like.

#9 User is offline   simdude 

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:38 AM

I was surprised there was still development on NeoOffice.
I have OpenOffice 3.0.1. This is the Aqua version, no X11. If I'm not mistaken, NeoOffice uses a java front end. Is this mistaken? If not, why would anyone use a slower Java implementation than a native API? (No sarcasm etc. implied here. I'm just a bit confused why these efforts haven't merged to create one solid OpenOffice)

#10 User is offline   schafdog 

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

OO3 also exists in an aqua (non-X11) version.
However the download pages is very confusing. When trying to download the danish version it seems to loop into the same HTML page. It is possible to get it, though.

#11 User is offline   Berend 

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

NeoOffice is not written in java. It uses a little bit of java.
See http://neowiki.neoof...x.php/NeoOfficeandAqua#So...isNeoOfficewritteninJava.3F
and the answers in "So...is NeoOffice written in Java?" and following.
I have used OpenOffice 3.01 (Aqua) and the early access version of NeoOffice 3.
Both are very big applications and take some time to start up the first time.
I'm not sure which is faster.
I feel that NeoOffice is indeed more integrated with the Mac than OpenOffice but both are good and usable.

#12 User is offline   bousozoku 

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

simdude said:

I was surprised there was still development on NeoOffice.

I have OpenOffice 3.0.1. This is the Aqua version, no X11. If I'm not mistaken, NeoOffice uses a java front end. Is this mistaken? If not, why would anyone use a slower Java implementation than a native API? (No sarcasm etc. implied here. I'm just a bit confused why these efforts haven't merged to create one solid OpenOffice)

OpenOffice and NeoOffice both use Java, though NeoOffice uses more.
I don't see that there is a problem with the speed of the GUI of NeoOffice. It's certainly no worse than the XWindows version of OpenOffice 2.x. Cyberduck and JAlbum are both good examples of Java applications running on Mac OS X that appear to be using native APIs. Besides, Apple touted their Java implementation as the best on the desktop when it arrived as Java 2/1.2. :^0

#13 User is offline   kill953 

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

Why would you use NeoOffice over OpenOffice.org? Because the developers of NeoOffice were the only ones who actually cared to bring OpenOffice.org to the Mac for the entirety of OS X's existence whereas the OpenOffice.org crew could only be bothered to jump on the Mac OS X boat a couple of years ago. NeoOffice has also consistently been a release quality app for every version put out whereas OpenOffice.org have often pushed out really shoddy, broken betas and called them final releases.
In other words, if you run NeoOffice you know that it has been tested thoroughly before release and that it is stable and that the developers have taken the time and effort to make sure that this is so.
In any case, in terms of supporting features of the actual OS, NeoOffice consistently kicks OpenOffice.org's arse.

#14 User is offline   UncleAsad 

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

Hurley42 said:

I would love to see an article comparing NeoOffice 3.0 to the current version of OpenOffice.

This would certainly be nice to see!

For people looking for any sort of comparison information, you can see NeoOffice’s own comparison charts at http://neowiki.neoof...x.php/NeoOffice3.0FeatureComparison (features) and http://neowiki.neoof...x.php/NeoOfficePerformance_Comparison (performance); I don't think the OpenOffice.org folks have any comparison charts on their website.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users