Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Can't download from iTunes-not enough access privileges? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can't download from iTunes-not enough access privileges?

#1 User is offline   Mishenka 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:21 AM

I can't seem to download any songs, podcasts, etc.. from the iTunes store now. I keep getting a message saying: "There was a problem downloading ..... You do not have enough access privileges for this operation. Please check that the URL is correct and the connection to the network is active and try again."

I downloaded a few songs on Wednesday without a problem. Now this pops up. Could I have changed or altered the settings or preferences somehow to cause this? I hope this isn't a big issue - I have a very large library of music in iTunes.

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   dougster 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:38 AM

-Hi,

Just for testing click on your email address in the top/right of the iTunes window. This will allow you to view your account. Peek and see if your credit card is up to par. Its worth a try.

#3 User is offline   Mishenka 

• PipPip

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:00 AM

I did as you suggested, and revalidated my payment method, Click & Buy, where it is debited directly from my account. This is what had been set up originally. Everything seems to be in order on that front.

But after I did that, I tried to purchase & download a song, and got that message again. Any other suggestions?

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:14 PM

Have you tried contacting iTunes support?

Do you have another computer in the house to try? Or create another use account and see if that changes anything. These two things could tell us if it is something on your end (i.e. problem with your computer) or something on their end.

#5 User is offline   dougster 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:42 PM

-Hi,

Since you have a large iTunes library I'd certainly backup ALL your music. Before getting in touch w/ Apple iTunes Support might try to log out and then log back in. Especially since the error message mentioned 'privileges'. But back up for sure...and if they are real important I'd back the music up onto two different external HDs. Remember the saying, "not if the HD fails, but when".

#6 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:03 PM

dougster said:

-Hi,

Since you have a large iTunes library I'd certainly backup ALL your music. Before getting in touch w/ Apple iTunes Support might try to log out and then log back in. Especially since the error message mentioned 'privileges'. But back up for sure...and if they are real important I'd back the music up onto two different external HDs. Remember the saying, "not if the HD fails, but when".

I would hope the poster is already doing that! ;)

#7 User is offline   dougster 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

-Hi,

Hope you got hooked up by now. If not here is the iTunes support site. Some find it difficult to find: Peek Here

Also might try to log/out then log/in under the Apple menu. It could be a tiny hiccup. And as -smax mentioned: back up I learned this the hard way many, many moons ago... B-)

#8 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

Could also try creating another user account for your computer and then seeing if you can download iTunes content in that user account. If so, then something in your primary account is likely corrupted.

#9 User is offline   Mishenka 

• PipPip

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:16 AM

I finally had the chance to attempt the download from my MacBook Pro, from which I had migrated everything in the first place. From the same account, I was able to download the songs that I had purchased from my iMac but was unable to download.

So what can I assume now? That something on my iMac's iTunes set-up is corrupted somewhere? If so, where? What can I do to eradicate this? I migrated everything over to iMac to use it as my main computer for iPhoto & iTunes.

Any additional assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#10 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:00 AM

Have you tried creating a new user on the iMac and seeing if you can purchase and download under that user, like I suggested? This would help us determine if it is more of a global issue on the iMac or not.

#11 User is offline   Mishenka 

• PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:43 AM

I was able to correct the problem - had to do with the privileges to the iTunes Library music folder & its contents. iTunes Support provided me this link for the error message (-5000) I was getting (in German though: http://support.apple...iewlocale=de_DE). Using Terminal, I was able to set up the privileges correctly, and all the songs & podcasts that were waiting to be downloaded did so with ease.

I appreciate the assistance here & suggestions nevertheless. Now I have to tackle my MobileMe issue.

Thanks again!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users