Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Last Will and Testament software for Mac? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Last Will and Testament software for Mac?

#1 User is offline   jerboned 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:56 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation for a one? There seems to be a dearth of (non-online) Will programs for the Mac.

#2 User is offline   Mike_Atamian1 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

Seriously, after dealing with the death of my brother-in-law and managing his Estate, spend the $1000 or so on a lawyer and set up a Trust. A Will does not cover as much as you think. A Trust covers pretty much everything.

A Trust avoids probate, which can take a minimum 4 months and typically is much longer. A Will alone does not. Going through probate also requires services of a lawyer. If the Will is contested and the Estate is sizeable, it could go on for years. In the end, the Court and lawyers get all the Estate's money, not the litigants.

If you insist on just a WIll, make sure it is in your own handwriting and be as explicit as possible. If you are leaving things to people, say it explicitly. Name contingencies. Say you leave everything to your favorite minor nephew. You would think he would get everything, right? Not so, if your nephew died before he turned 18. If a contingent is not named in the Will (this could include a charity), the money would go to the nearest blood relative. This could be a problem if that is a person you despise and don't trust to do the right thing. And name Executors, people you trust to manage the Estate. For example, you wouldn't want a spouse, with whom you are separated and in the middle of a divorce, to be your Executor, right? Guess what, if you don't name one, the Court will likely name the spouse. Unless there is a divorce decree, you are still married at the time of death.

Lastly, property is generally NOT COVERED in a Will. The property deed will override everything. It doesn't matter what your Will says. The property will go to the person the deed says is the co-owner. Think again to a spouse you are separated from at the time of death. (There are ways of severing survivorship clauses in a deed which a lawyer could describe).

I'll get off my soapbox now. This rant was longer than I thought it should be.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users