• Group: MW Bot

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

Post your comments for Resetting Visual Voicemail here

#2 User is offline   alansky 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:56 PM

This issue is definitely not unique to the iPhone 3Gs. I know of at least half a dozen instances of this problem, most with the original iPhone.

#3 User is offline   jtmportland 

• Pip

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:01 PM

If you're also experiencing this issue (I am on a 3G), right now is probably not the best time to reset the password. I've been getting the 'Voicemail Unavailable... Unable to connect. Try again later.' message for over an hour.

#4 User is offline   weshsu 

• PipPip

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:29 PM

I had this problem when I migrated from a 3G to a 3GS this morning. After a few repeated taps of the Voicemail icon (with it always calling into my voicemail), eventually a password dialog popped up. I entered my password and instantly my Visual Voicemail was back.

#5 User is offline   NOSFERATU 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

HOLD THE iPhone =) Much easier method.
All you need to do is a hard reboot of the iPhone.
Hold the Home button + Power button until the white apple comes on the screen, then release the buttons.
Just to make sure people get this, I'll explain.
1. Hold both buttons
2. The "slide to power off" and the "cancel" button will come up... do NOT let go of the buttons. (roughly 10 seconds till you see this step)
3. The screen goes black for about 2-5 seconds, once again, do NOT let go of the buttons
4. white apple appears, let go of the buttons and wait for the iPhone to reboot (takes a couple minutes to finish the reboot.)
This is how I got my visual voice mail to start working again.

#6 User is offline   macsterguy 

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:00 PM

If I recall, the default visual voicemail password is: 1234 for those of you that never changed it and are being prompted for a password...

#7 User is offline   coolfactor 

• PipPip

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:04 AM

Out of courtesy to your non-US readers, can the headline state that this is for AT&T accounts? How do other countries do it?

#8 User is offline   jd33 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:54 AM

i had that same problem when upgrading yesterday, but the solution was simple. when you first go to voicemail, it will connect you via phone call to your voicemail account. just hang up the call and wait a few seconds on the voicemail tab.
a dialog box eventually pops up, asking you to enter your voicemail password. once it accepts the password, the next time you go to voicemail it should be back to visual voicemail again.
I think the phone basically "forgets" all your passwords when you switch to a new one, even after doing a backup & restore. I had to re-enter all wifi network passwords, voicemail, email, even some app passwords... kinda strange. maybe that's a security feature(??)

#9 User is offline   jtmportland 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:50 AM

It should also be noted that the well-publicized AT&T tethering 'hack' can effectively kill visual voicemail. At least it did on my 2 3Gs and I've heard of others having the problem as well. After much trial and error, I found that the only way to resolve the voice mail issue was to reset the the network settings on the phone. Which, of course, will break the tethering hack.
C'mon AT&T... I WANT TO TETHER!

#10 User is offline   djm61 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:16 PM

In Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data Network>Visual Voicemail replace wap.cingular with acds.voicemail after you install the tethering .ipcc file. This worked for me and I have my Visual Voicemail back and tethering and mms enabled now although the mms has yet to complete sending a message. It (mms) probably needs to be enabled on your account before you can use it but tethering works just fine over Bluetooth and USB. Look here for the info to enable mms: http://help.Benm.at/help.php
Message was edited by: djm61 corrected URL

#11 User is online   quangtam2159 

• Pip

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

TRIED ABOVE AND STILL DOES NOT WORK! USA RESET step by step please.
I went to the ATT site and reset password.
It told me that my password had been changed to the last seven digits of my phone number.
1st try: tapped in last seven digits and nothing. No prompt nothing.
2nd try: got the prompt again and this time typed in the password I normally use.
Repeat 1 and 2 until so frustrated post this... can someone please give steps by step instructions for US.
1. You reset your password on the ATT site.
2. it send you a text message.
3. You ----- with the last seven digits of your phone number.
4. Reset to password you want to use....

#12 User is offline   maydupp 

• PipPip

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:21 PM

djm61 said:

In Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data Network>Visual Voicemail replace wap.cingular with acds.voicemail after you install the tethering .ipcc file.

the advice of djm61 worked for me. After using the Thethering trick, Visual Voicemail was "unavailable". Resetting the password and hard restarting the iPhone didn't help. I was hesitant to just start typing into fields that I knew nothing about, but so far, so good.

#13 User is offline   achase77 

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:01 PM

Mine needed to be reset and after following the instructions above, it worked fine.

#14 User is offline   ragarcia 

• Pip

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:02 AM

The advice of djm61 also worked for me.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users