Macworld Forums: Uninstall MacGPG2 (GnuPG) - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Uninstall MacGPG2 (GnuPG)

#1 User is offline   MacAndre 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:47 PM

Does anyone out there know how to uninstall MacGPG2 (v 2.0.12)?

This thing does not come with an uninstaller and Google searches turned out to be a disappointment as well...

Hopefully someone knows more...

#2 User is offline   rab777hp 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Banned

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:49 AM

Same way as you'd uninstall any other mac app, delete the app in your applications folder, then go to your library folder and delete the supporting files, look there and under 'caches' and 'caches -> metadata' as well as 'application support'.

#3 User is offline   MacAndre 

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:27 AM

Unfortunately, that does not work. This program does not install anything in the application folder and I could not find anything from it in the folders you mentioned either. The only thing in the application folder is a program to start the gpg-agent ("start-gpg-agent").

The gpg-process runs now permanently in the background and I have no idea how to stop it from running (and no, there is no entry in the Login Items under the aAccounts System preferences). It is there even after restarting the computer.

I found one post in a forum which suggests to go through every single package in the MacGPG2 installer and delete every file mentioned there, but this seems really annoying. (http://www.nabble.co...td23161650.html)

Here is a link to MacGPG2: http://macgpg2.wiki.sourceforge.net/

Oh well, anyone out there?

#4 User is offline   rab777hp 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

Well just to let you know how to kill processes, open activity monitor in applications>utilities and find the process you want and kill it.

From what I've seen,macgpg2 is a regular application, with gui and all, not a command-line one, so obviously the application must be fairly normal. I ran the installer myself, and here's an excerpt:
Please note that MacGPG2 does not install any user applications as such - it installs the applications, including a native MacOSX pinentry program, which make encryption possible within other programs. See the project homepage for further information.
So it installs multiple applications, which must all be removed.
It installs an application in the applications directory 'start mac gpg agent' I'd suggest you delete that
there's also a daemon hiding in library>LaunchAgents
remove that
I'd also get rid of the receipt in LIbrary>receipts

those are in the libary of your computer, not your home folder.
That's as much as I could find, but if you search your computer for macgpg you might find more, i didn't do a full install.
If you install again (or just install again), pay attention to the names of the files and directories and then you know what to delete

#5 User is offline   MacAndre 

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:54 PM

Thanks rab777hp!

I know how to kill a process and I did, however the process starts again with the next restart of my iMac. I am sure that somewhere I can disable this, but as I said it is not in the Login items section of the Accounts System Preference pane.

I really appreciate that you tried to install it, but I cannot find a GUI of this app. The only application in the Application folder is the 'start-gpg-agent' which does not start a GUI or anything (probably just the process which I see in Activity Monitor). The pinentry program, I only found via Spotlight by including System Files in my search and when I start it, it does not do anything (at least as far as I can tell).

So I am still not sure what this program is about in general. I know it has something to do with encrypting emails (at least this is what I wanted it for) but it turns out that it does not work as straight-forward as I hoped. I thought that I could install it and try it, and if not, just trash it (like it is possible with most other Mac applications...). But this was a mistake and I know now why it is better to check beforehand... lesson learned...

From what you write, there do not seem to be a lot of files to remove but according to this post (http://www.nabble.co...td23161650.html) there seems to be a lot more to uninstall. I just checked the first two packages and they contained a lot of files...

Anyway, I might try and uninstall manually as you suggested. Right now the program does seem to affect my system but I juts don't llike having stuff on there I don't use... especially if it seems such a pain to get rid of...

#6 User is offline   rab777hp 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:14 PM

If you delete the thing in the loginagents folder you should be fine for login

#7 User is offline   MacAndre 

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:20 PM

I looked but I don't have a loginagents folder...

#8 User is offline   rab777hp 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

sorry- its called LaunchAgents, under Macintosh HD (or whatever your HD is called)>library

#9 User is offline   MacAndre 

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:28 PM

Thanks! Found it!

If you by chance come across other helpful hints to uninstall this thing, it will be greatly appreciated!

Have a good weekend!

#10 User is offline   rab777hp 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:45 PM

Sure thing!

#11 User is offline   rab777hp 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:37 AM

Here's a list of files to delete:
/
/usr/local/bin/gpg-agent
/usr/local/lib/libgpg-error.0.5.0.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libpth.20.0.27.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libintl.8.0.2.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libgcrypt.11.5.2.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.2.4.0.dylib
/usr/lib/dyld
/private/var/db/dyld/dyldsharedcache_i386
/dev/null
/dev/null
/dev/null
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/HIToolbox.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/HIToolbox.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleScript.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AppleScript.rsrc
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleScript.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc

/Users/(your username)/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent

I would NOT delete all of these- some are important system files- but anything with the name 'gpg' in it, you should delete, if you want to be sure deleting something, make a folder called 'temporary trash' and put files there, and if your system's fine in a week, then delete them. But I'd just delete stuff with GPG in it.
I found this list by inspecting the process with activity monitor, these are all the files it uses, but, just delete ones with 'gpg' in them. Also, to delete these, you first need to kill the process, go to activity monitor and search 'macgpg' then force quit the process.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users