Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How To Run Windows On MacBook Pro?

#1 User is offline   BobBob 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:53 AM

Hi, I'm a long time Windows user, but after reading about and using the macs I've decided the next time I buy a computer it will be a mac.

But my main problem with switching over is that if I can use my windows programs on my mac.

For example I have games like Call of Duty for the PC, can I use that on my mac? And if I can will it go as fast as it did on windows?
Or I have a ton of excel spreadsheets I use, what will happen to those? Can they work on a mac?

I copied most of my stuff on my windows and put it on a external hardrive, but can I drag my windows files on my mac? And will they work? How about pictures?

I've heard about VMWare, Parralls, and BootCamp what exactly do they do? And which one is the best?

Yeah I know I'm clueless =(

If you experts could awnser that'd be awesome thx!

#2 User is offline   rab777hp 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Banned

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:32 PM

It all depends on your needs, VMware and Parallels both cost around 80 bucks and will virtualize windows. Run it side-by-side your mac os at the same time. BootCamp comes installed on all macs, and will let you partition your drive and install windows on it. So you can boot into either mac os x or windows on your mac. Between VMware and Parallels i think parallels is the better option, but be warned, don't use them on a low power mac (macbook, mac mini) they require a ton of processing power.
You can also use something like CrossOver (codweavers.com) to emulate windows. Its $30 and it makes apps think that windows is installed, it doesn't work on all apps, but I know that CrossOver Games supports Call of Duty.
Excel is available in MS Office for mac, (but you can also use something like NeoOffice for free which will open all office files). You can drag all those files onto your mac, and images will transfer fine. Import them to iPhoto and you're good.

You may want to try something like Its about time to learn the switch to mac which has a bunch of tutorials to help you switch.
It comes bundled with parallels in the Parallels Switch to mac edition, if you decide to buy it, I'd go with that.
Here are some other useful tutorials:
http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

And of course post any questions you may have on the Macworld forums and you will most likely get an answer.

#3 User is offline   Typhoon14 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:24 PM

View PostBobBob, on 07 September 2009 - 10:53 AM, said:

Hi, I'm a long time Windows user, but after reading about and using the macs I've decided the next time I buy a computer it will be a mac.

But my main problem with switching over is that if I can use my windows programs on my mac.

For example I have games like Call of Duty for the PC, can I use that on my mac? And if I can will it go as fast as it did on windows?
Or I have a ton of excel spreadsheets I use, what will happen to those? Can they work on a mac?

I copied most of my stuff on my windows and put it on a external hardrive, but can I drag my windows files on my mac? And will they work? How about pictures?

I've heard about VMWare, Parralls, and BootCamp what exactly do they do? And which one is the best?

Yeah I know I'm clueless =(

If you experts could awnser that'd be awesome thx!

If you want to play your PC games and have them run decently, you'll want to use Boot Camp. Basically you just use a very simple setup assistant on your Mac to create a partition on your hard drive for Windows. From there, all you have to do is insert a Windows XP or Vista CD, and install Windows as you would on any other system. After the install is done, insert the restore DVD that ships with your Mac while booted into Windows to install the drivers to make everything work. Windows running in this fashion will function exactly like Windows on any other PC. All your software and hardware will work, and any games will run at the maximum capabilities of the hardware.

#4 User is offline   FenderBender 

• PipPip

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:03 PM

Newbie,

You can run all of your Windows apps and use all of your files on a Mac. There are different ways of going about it.

For your Excel spreadsheets, you can open them in Microsoft Office for Mac OS, or in Windows. The choice is yours.

BootCamp is software from Apple that is included with MacOS. BootCamp will create a separate partition on your hard drive on which to install Windows. Since Intel Macs essentially are PCs, Windows can run just fine on your Mac. This type of set up is sometimes called "dual boot", and Windows will run "natively" on the computer. When you start your computer, you can choose which operating system to boot: Windows or Mac OS. You will only be able to run one at a time.

VMWare Fusion or Parallels - As Veteran states, these are third-party programs you must buy. They allow you to run Windows and Mac OS at the same time. They create a virtual environment called a Virtual Machine or VM. A VM is essentially software that tricks the guest operating system into thinking it is running on an actual computer, but it is only a virtual computer. With a VM, you can run Windows side-by-side with Mac OS and you can even run your Windows apps in "Unity" mode (or "Coherence" mode in Parallels), which removes the Windows desktop from the equation and makes it appear that your Windows apps are running natively in Mac OS. VMWare or Parallels should run just fine on any Intel Mac, but I wouldn't run it with less than 4GB of RAM.

The downside to using VM is that some Windows applications, particularly 3D games and real-time applications such as music sequencers and video editors, do not always work as expected in the virtual environment. For these programs, it is best to run Windows natively in BootCamp.

The good news is you can have the best of both worlds. VMWare will allow you to boot your BootCamp partition if you want to run an app (like Excel) that runs perfectly fine in a VM, right alongside your Mac apps. Then when you want to run that killer 3D game that gives VMWare fits, shut down Mac OS and boot Windows natively with BootCamp.

Also with VMWare or Parallels, you can run other operating systems such as Linux and BeOS. Currently, BootCamp only supports Windows Vista and XP, although Windows 7 should run just fine too.

I recommend doing both: Install Windows with BootCamp, and use VMWare or Parallels to run your BootCamp partition when your needs are less demanding.

This post has been edited by FenderBender: 16 September 2009 - 01:05 PM

#5 User is offline   TexMark 

• PipPip

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:23 AM

I did exactly that using Parallels. Windows Vista runs like a champ both under Bootcamp and Parallels. But please don't underestimate the partition size needed to run Windows Vista. Bootcamp suggested 32 GB, which I happily accepted, but it is MUCH MUCH too small, especially if you have disk eating games programs. Go with at least 50-60 GB.

quote name='FenderBender' date='16 September 2009 - 02:03 PM' timestamp='1253135030' post='759594']
Newbie,

You can run all of your Windows apps and use all of your files on a Mac. There are different ways of going about it.

For your Excel spreadsheets, you can open them in Microsoft Office for Mac OS, or in Windows. The choice is yours.

BootCamp is software from Apple that is included with MacOS. BootCamp will create a separate partition on your hard drive on which to install Windows. Since Intel Macs essentially are PCs, Windows can run just fine on your Mac. This type of set up is sometimes called "dual boot", and Windows will run "natively" on the computer. When you start your computer, you can choose which operating system to boot: Windows or Mac OS. You will only be able to run one at a time.

VMWare Fusion or Parallels - As Veteran states, these are third-party programs you must buy. They allow you to run Windows and Mac OS at the same time. They create a virtual environment called a Virtual Machine or VM. A VM is essentially software that tricks the guest operating system into thinking it is running on an actual computer, but it is only a virtual computer. With a VM, you can run Windows side-by-side with Mac OS and you can even run your Windows apps in "Unity" mode (or "Coherence" mode in Parallels), which removes the Windows desktop from the equation and makes it appear that your Windows apps are running natively in Mac OS. VMWare or Parallels should run just fine on any Intel Mac, but I wouldn't run it with less than 4GB of RAM.

The downside to using VM is that some Windows applications, particularly 3D games and real-time applications such as music sequencers and video editors, do not always work as expected in the virtual environment. For these programs, it is best to run Windows natively in BootCamp.

The good news is you can have the best of both worlds. VMWare will allow you to boot your BootCamp partition if you want to run an app (like Excel) that runs perfectly fine in a VM, right alongside your Mac apps. Then when you want to run that killer 3D game that gives VMWare fits, shut down Mac OS and boot Windows natively with BootCamp.

Also with VMWare or Parallels, you can run other operating systems such as Linux and BeOS. Currently, BootCamp only supports Windows Vista and XP, although Windows 7 should run just fine too.

I recommend doing both: Install Windows with BootCamp, and use VMWare or Parallels to run your BootCamp partition when your needs are less demanding.
[/quote]

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users