Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Mac Can't Connect to Airport Network. Windows Can. - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mac Can't Connect to Airport Network. Windows Can.

#1 User is offline   KPOM 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

I have a cable modem hooked up to an Airport Express (802.11n) with a WPA2 password. My MacBook Air lost its connection today after working fine since I set it up. I have tried everything. I have re-set the Airport Express twice. It works temporarily but then the Mac mysteriously loses connection. It sees my wireless network, but won't connect to the Internet. I have also tried renewing the DHCP lease, to no avail. Oddly, my Windows PC has no problems connecting. Even the Mac in Boot Camp can connect. But 10.6.1 can't. What's going on?

#2 User is offline   KPOM 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:35 PM

I think I figured it out. I had to delete the "old" wireless network from within Network Preferences (that had the same name) and then re-create it.

#3 User is offline   KPOM 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:18 AM

View PostKPOM, on 01 November 2009 - 02:10 PM, said:

I have a cable modem hooked up to an Airport Express (802.11n) with a WPA2 password. My MacBook Air lost its connection today after working fine since I set it up. I have tried everything. I have re-set the Airport Express twice. It works temporarily but then the Mac mysteriously loses connection. It sees my wireless network, but won't connect to the Internet. I have also tried renewing the DHCP lease, to no avail. Oddly, my Windows PC has no problems connecting. Even the Mac in Boot Camp can connect. But 10.6.1 can't. What's going on?

It's at it again. Once again this morning my Mac didn't connect yo my Airport Express. It is giving me "connection timeout" errors every time I try to connect. Meanwhile, my Windows XP machine is humming along, connecting to the network with no effort. I'm running a MacBook Air (2.0) with OS X 10.6.1.

I tried deleting my network password from the keychain. Airport Utility refuses to see any wireless devices unless I completely reset the Airport Express. The only thing I can think of is that both Sunday and yesterday I was using Windows in virtualization. Yesterday it was Windows 7 in Parallels 5. Sunday it was Windows 7 in Fusion 3. However, I'm using the basic configuration of each where Fusion and Parallels are simply sharing the Mac's network connection with Windows.

Any ideas? Obviously it's something with my Mac since my Windows PC can find the network. It doesn't appear to be a hardware issue since Windows 7 in Boot Camp also detects the network without a problem. In addition to resetting the keychain I've restarted a few times now. Oddly enough, after restarting in Windows, and restarting in OS X, it seems to work again.

This post has been edited by KPOM: 05 November 2009 - 05:20 AM

#4 User is offline   Rcovell 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

I'm far from an expert on wireless connections (or even wired connections for that matter!) but, I recently had a similar problem with a dropped internet connection. With some help from my ISP, we got the wired connections going again, but not my Airport. What got it connected again was unplugging it for a minute or so and then re-powering it. Re-booting it seems to have solved it's problem twice now.

Well, you've exhausted my advice on the subject, good luck!

Bob.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users