• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dropped Internet Connection-Why?

#1 User is offline   Rcovell 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:01 PM

We have cable internet at home. The cable feeds the modem which feeds a Linksys 5 port switch. Connected to the switch is my wife's Mini, my iMac and a cable feeding an Airport which my wife uses for her Touch. We've used this very setup for two years without a problem.

Last night, my wife finished up a session on the 'net without issue. An hour later I tried to get on by was informed by my iMac that Safari wasn't connected to the internet. Tried connecting wirelessly, which I've done before, then, tried my wife's Mini, all with the same result. I figured that my ISP was having a problem and shut down for the night.

Same thing this morning so I called tech support. They were able to check their modem and said it registered OK, but, there was still no internet connection on my end. I swapped cables, re-started, powered down the modem and even plugged the modem in directly to the computer, bypassing my switch and all the other connections/cables. No luck. The CSR suggested the problem was on my end since his diagnostics showed no problems with the modem.

Called them back after work and talked to someone else, explaining the situation. I even have an old Mini on my desk that I use for running legacy programs and connected it via ethernet to see if it would connect, again to no avail.

As the CSR had me on hold to check something, I re-started the Mini and went through the Network Diagnostics, selecting ethernet since I had the modem plugged directly into my wife's Mini. For some reason, my home page popped up and I was connected again. I swapped in the ethernet cable that feeds my iMac and it now connected. I was later able to run the modem into the switch and after powering down the Airport and re-powering it, the wireless connection came back.

The cable CSR admitted he didn't really know what might have caused the problem in the first place, suggesting it wasn't a problem on their end. I know we did nothing different on our end. And, he didn't have a strong answer on what caused the 'fix'.

Sorry for the long post, but, I wondering if anyone might be able to suggest some answers as to why the connection failed in the first place and what caused it to start working. The CSR was talking about IP addresses getting messed up and the need to configure DHCP automatically, whatever that means. BTW, he was also implying problems caused by use of the Airport, but, I'm not aware of anything there.

Any thoughts? Thanks, Bob.

#2 User is offline   dcpics 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:04 AM

View PostRcovell, on 03 November 2009 - 10:01 PM, said:

We have cable internet at home. The cable feeds the modem which feeds a Linksys 5 port switch. Connected to the switch is my wife's Mini, my iMac and a cable feeding an Airport which my wife uses for her Touch. We've used this very setup for two years without a problem.

Last night, my wife finished up a session on the 'net without issue. An hour later I tried to get on by was informed by my iMac that Safari wasn't connected to the internet. Tried connecting wirelessly, which I've done before, then, tried my wife's Mini, all with the same result. I figured that my ISP was having a problem and shut down for the night.

Same thing this morning so I called tech support. They were able to check their modem and said it registered OK, but, there was still no internet connection on my end. I swapped cables, re-started, powered down the modem and even plugged the modem in directly to the computer, bypassing my switch and all the other connections/cables. No luck. The CSR suggested the problem was on my end since his diagnostics showed no problems with the modem.

Called them back after work and talked to someone else, explaining the situation. I even have an old Mini on my desk that I use for running legacy programs and connected it via ethernet to see if it would connect, again to no avail.

As the CSR had me on hold to check something, I re-started the Mini and went through the Network Diagnostics, selecting ethernet since I had the modem plugged directly into my wife's Mini. For some reason, my home page popped up and I was connected again. I swapped in the ethernet cable that feeds my iMac and it now connected. I was later able to run the modem into the switch and after powering down the Airport and re-powering it, the wireless connection came back.

The cable CSR admitted he didn't really know what might have caused the problem in the first place, suggesting it wasn't a problem on their end. I know we did nothing different on our end. And, he didn't have a strong answer on what caused the 'fix'.

Sorry for the long post, but, I wondering if anyone might be able to suggest some answers as to why the connection failed in the first place and what caused it to start working. The CSR was talking about IP addresses getting messed up and the need to configure DHCP automatically, whatever that means. BTW, he was also implying problems caused by use of the Airport, but, I'm not aware of anything there.

Any thoughts? Thanks, Bob.

My guess would be that the first folks you talked to at the ISP didn't bother to really check their end and didn't reset it. Sometimes the status indicators say all is well when they really aren't. The last person finally did the reset and didn't want to admit they made an error.

It could be they changed how they handle IP distribution and that caused a conflict. Some places you are better off using your router in Bridge mode so the ISP handles the DHCP distribution rather than your router but those are not very common.

So I would bet the first time you called it was easier for them to blame your end rather than fully checking their side and resetting their end.

#3 User is offline   Rcovell 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for the input.

If there's a way for the CSR to get a 'good' reading on my modem while there was still a problem, that would make sense.

I just had a hard time believing that 2 newer computers that worked just fine with the internet suddenly went whacko. And, to have my Airport go bad and my 'spare' computer to have a failed internet connection, all at the same time, even though I was connecting direct from the modem (except for the Airport, I didn't think to try that) just didn't make sense. That's why I called the ISP back. I love the company and their reliability, but, customer service didn't impress me this time.

I'm just glad everything is working again despite having all that smoke up my ***!

Bob.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users