• Group: MW Bot

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:03 AM

Post your comments for Klipsch releases wireless ProMedia 2.1 here

#2 User is offline   hillstones 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:20 AM

An odd description of wireless. It is wireless, but has wires connecting the satellites to the subwoofer. And it is wireless aimed at laptop users so they can move around several rooms without interrupting playback...able to leave the room that contain the speakers...what's the point? "Check out my wireless speakers...where are they...down the hall in the other room." Aimed at laptop users that need to have a USB dongle hanging off the laptop. Last time I checked, people aren't really a fan of USB dongles.

#3 User is offline   polymnia 

• PipPip

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:53 AM

It does seem like this would be more useful if it were bluetooth enabled

#4 User is offline   Photonerd 

• PipPip

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:10 AM

Wires from satellites to subs ≠ "wireless", Klipsch. Obviously you don't want to run speakers on batteries but calling this wireless is pretty silly.
Basking in the glow of iPad Retina goodness.

#5 User is offline   TowerTone 

• PipPip

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:04 AM

I would prefer the wired version with an Airport Express, about $50.00 more

#6 User is offline   sigma8 

• PipPip

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:35 PM

Will the Airport Express's audio-out jack show up in as a sound output device in the System Prefs? I thought it only worked via iTunes? I like the idea of wireless speakers, and I agree with the general sentiment here that these do not sound wireless to me. IMO the satellites (heck, even the sub), should have battery compartments AND DC-in jacks, in case you want to buy power cords for them. I'd be happy to plug the sub into the wall, and slap some rechargeable AA's into the satellites. No more wires, please.

#7 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

View Posthillstones, on 04 November 2009 - 09:20 AM, said:

An odd description of wireless. It is wireless, but has wires connecting the satellites to the subwoofer.

To be fair, a completely wireless system would require a transmitter at the source, a receiver at the "hub" of the system, one additional transmitter on that hub for each speaker, and a separate receiver on each speaker. Plus each speaker and the sub would have to host its own amplifier. And don't forget that each speaker and the sub would have to have a separate battery system to supply power, because you wouldn't want to screw up the entire "wireless" thing by having to plug the speakers into wall outlets ;)

Personally, I think this sounds like it could be convenient. For a computer speaker system where all the components are relatively close together, I don't mind a few wires. (It's with home-theater systems, where you've got speakers all over the room, that wires get really inconvenient and messy.) But I *do* dislike not being able to have good audio if I decide to use my laptop on the couch that's across the room from where the speakers are. So being able to plug in a tiny dongle and listen is a nice feature. You could even keep the system connected, by a cable, to your desktop Mac, and use the dongle only when you want to listen to your laptop.

I'm looking forward to testing it out; Klipsch is sending us a unit to review.
Dan Frakes / Senior Editor, Macworld

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users