Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Apple posts guidelines on 27-inch iMac's Target Display mode - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple posts guidelines on 27-inch iMac's Target Display mode

#15 User is offline   siskva 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:48 PM

I don't know what "many" is but my first 27" arrived in an apparently undamaged box, but the screen was crushed at the bottom left.
The second shipment was OK.

#16 User is offline   ncj37 

• PipPip

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

Okay, so it's clearly apparent that Apple's new guidelines have done absolutely nothing to eliminate the confusion surrounding the video input on the new iMacs. Just look at the above posts with people still wondering whether they can attach a DVD player using a simple mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable. Or worse yet, allow VGA input by just using a mini DisplayPort to VGA cable. The person or persons who prepared that guideline at Apple have just made the situation worse instead of better (in fact, I knew this would be the case as soon as I read the guideline). They should know better, very bad job on Apple's part.

What Apple needs to do is make a clear statement on what inputs are accepted. Frankly, what I believe is simply the following:

The mini DisplayPort INPUT on the iMac will ONLY accept DisplayPort signals. You can NOT run the display from unmodified VGA/DVI/HDMI sources. Furthermore, to take full advantage of the 27" screen the inputs must be at the full 2560x1440 resolution (i.e. you can't just input lower resolution sources and have those automagically upscaled to the native resolution of the iMac's display).

Thus, to connect VGA/DVI/HDMI sources you will need an ACTIVE video converter (and possibly a video scaler). Cables that simply adapt between the physical connectors will NOT work (except when going from DisplayPort to mini DisplayPort). Lastly, the existing adapters that enable VGA/DVI OUTPUT from Apple's mini DisplayPort products will NOT work for INPUT to the iMac's display.

#17 User is offline   mjtomlin 

• PipPip

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:01 PM

View Postncj37, on 25 November 2009 - 06:02 PM, said:

Okay, so it's clearly apparent that Apple's new guidelines have done absolutely nothing to eliminate the confusion surrounding the video input on the new iMacs. ... They should know better, very bad job on Apple's part. ... What Apple needs to do is make a clear statement on what inputs are accepted...

Apple does make it fairly clear. The problem is, you have to actually READ the support document. Seems like most people haven't yet. It says in two places that you'll need to buy a third party converter to use anything other than a DisplayPort signal as the port on the iMac only accepts an incoming DisplayPort signal. Not sure how much more clear they need to be?

It took me all of 30 seconds to figure that out while reading the support document.

Do a simple search on Google to find converter boxes. Be warned though, they are expensive!!!

#18 User is offline   trip1ex 

• PipPip

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:25 PM

What's interesting is the guidelines say you the displayport accepts audio and video. Does that imply you can output audio and video through displayport on the imac now?

Afaik that wasn't the case before. YOu need a cable for video and another for audio. You had to use output your audio through the speaker/headphone jack when connecting to a TV.

This post has been edited by trip1ex: 25 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

#19 User is offline   natewsmith 

• Pip

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:21 PM

Everyone should check out this website...

http://www.hdtvsuppl...-converter.html

#20 User is offline   guzzisport 

• PipPip

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:25 PM

Apple doesn't (yet) sell a separate 27" 16:9 Cinema Display. I suppose that just for the sake of silly speculation, that if someone wanted a second matching 27" display hooked up to their iMac27, they'd have to buy a second iMac27 (presumably the cheaper version), hook that up to the first iMac27 and then use something like xgrid to combine the processing power of both computers. Just to make it sound appealingly nasty, call it a bifurcated cluster. Now consider doing an xwindows (or something like that) remote display of the second units video on the first units desktop on the second monitor - which was it's own display to begin with!

#21 User is offline   DPG4450Guy 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:44 AM

1. If you receive an iMac with a cracked screen, return it. Obviously some moron damaged it in shipping. A non-issue.

2. If you receive a DOA Mac (in 20+ years I've never, ever come across such a thing - probably received 1,200 Macs over that time. Nada-zip-none. But again, a defective product? RETURN IT.

Some people post in those Apple forums some of the dumbest stuff.

Ooo! Oooo! Some eggs were cracked in the box - think I'll post at General Mills and vent.

#22 User is offline   hayesk 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:35 AM

View PostAueua, on 25 November 2009 - 01:29 PM, said:

I'm also wondering if the MiniDP to xxx work in two directions.
I own an Apple MiniDP to VGA adapter and I'm now considering to order a Core i7 iMac that will act (also) as a display for my venerable SCSI equipped Sawtooth G4.
Is this adapter OK, or should I wait for a third-party "VGA to MiniDP" cable?
Cheers!

No, they don't. There's more to it than just changing the connector.

A MacBook's miniDP port also carries VGA, HDMI, and DVI signalling (well, DVI and HDMI are the same but that's another topic). So a simple adapter that accesses the correct pins and wires them to a different connector is all that is needed.

The iMac only accepts DP signalling. So you can't take a device that outputs HDMI and simply change the connector at the other end. There needs to be some electronics to change the signalling from HDMI (or DVI) to DP. Those converters do not exist yet.

So for now, you won't be able to connect a BluRay player to your new iMac. You'll only be able to connect another Mac.

#23 User is offline   elroth 

• PipPip

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:16 AM

View Postavisan, on 25 November 2009 - 03:00 PM, said:

Interesting article on the Target Display mode.

So if your iMac dies then you cannot use it as a monitor. Bummer..

You can always use it as a mirror.

#24 User is offline   elroth 

• PipPip

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:20 AM

View PostDPG4450Guy, on 26 November 2009 - 04:44 AM, said:

1. If you receive an iMac with a cracked screen, return it. Obviously some moron damaged it in shipping. A non-issue.

2. If you receive a DOA Mac (in 20+ years I've never, ever come across such a thing - probably received 1,200 Macs over that time. Nada-zip-none. But again, a defective product? RETURN IT.

Some people post in those Apple forums some of the dumbest stuff.

Ooo! Oooo! Some eggs were cracked in the box - think I'll post at General Mills and vent.

Are you proud of yourself? If you do order a Mac and it comes defective, that's another month (if it's BTO) until you get a working one. Not so trivial.

#25 User is offline   lanceh5 

• PipPip

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:55 PM

I got a i7 iMac on Nov 13 and is working well. Great computer.

#26 User is offline   ncj37 

• PipPip

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:25 PM

View Postmjtomlin, on 25 November 2009 - 07:01 PM, said:

View Postncj37, on 25 November 2009 - 06:02 PM, said:

Okay, so it's clearly apparent that Apple's new guidelines have done absolutely nothing to eliminate the confusion surrounding the video input on the new iMacs. ... They should know better, very bad job on Apple's part. ... What Apple needs to do is make a clear statement on what inputs are accepted...

Apple does make it fairly clear. The problem is, you have to actually READ the support document. Seems like most people haven't yet. It says in two places that you'll need to buy a third party converter to use anything other than a DisplayPort signal as the port on the iMac only accepts an incoming DisplayPort signal. Not sure how much more clear they need to be?

It took me all of 30 seconds to figure that out while reading the support document.

Do a simple search on Google to find converter boxes. Be warned though, they are expensive!!!

The problem is that Apple's guideline says this, "The Mini DisplayPort in the 27-inch iMac can receive only DisplayPort compliant video and audio signals. " Now one might wonder what "DisplayPort compliant" signals are and so you go over to DisplayPort.org and read the following: "The DisplayPort connector is compatible with HDMI signals, enabling product interoperability." Thus, "compliant" or "compatible" is there a difference? In fact, there is a lot of "chatter" and confusion on the internet concerning DisplayPort compatibility and this is why Apple needed to be very detailed and specific about what forms of input are supported on the new 27" iMac.

I've been pretty vocal and active on multiple forums trying to convince people that you can't just take a simple HDMI to DisplayPort adapter and use that to drive the iMac's display. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of posts and threads that claim that you'll just be able to take a $10 adapter and use that to attach your Blu-ray or DVD player (IMO, that won't work, you'll need an ACTIVE video converter which could run anywhere from $100 to $200).

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users