• Group: MW Bot

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:45 AM

Post your comments for Photoshop tip: Masking 101 here

#2 User is offline   flybynight 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:39 AM

If you have more complex masking to do, the Extract filter tool is great. You have to install it from the "goodies" folder on the install disc or download it from Adobe. There are also some third-party plug-ins that can do more complex masking - like fine detail (like wispy hair) on a busy background.

#3 User is offline   MacKayaker 

• PipPip

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:28 AM

I would suggest the article fails to mention the best tool for creating a selection in CS4. The same tool is available in Photoshop Elements as well, and while Elements support of masks isn't as easy as in it's big brother, most of what can be done in Photoshop can be accomplish in Elements as well.

The best tool for creating selections is the Quick Selection tool. It works similar to the Magic Wand, but is far more powerful and once mastered, makes the process of creating a complex selection take less time.

I would suggest that as powerful as Quick Mask mode is, I think it's best to see it for refining a selection/mask, not as a blank slate place to start creating one. Using the Quick Mask tool, Magic Wand, or one of the Lasso tools as a starting place makes sense, then use Quick Mask Mode to clean up the selection and Refine Edge, as needed, to really dial it in.

#4 User is offline   johncarync 

• PipPip

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:01 AM

My favorite technique is to use the polygonal lasso tool (an option under the lasso tool popup), set the feather to 2 pixels, and turn on anti-alias. All it takes is about 20 clicks around my victim's head and I can realistically paste them onto anyone or anything else.

MacKayaker's advice on using the Quick Selection tool (under magic wand tool popup) is another good tip.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users