• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to add songs in track order?

#1 User is offline   Don69 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:49 PM

How can I add a folder of songs to iTunes in the same track order as the original CD? When I add a bunch of songs to the library, iTunes imports them in a seemingly random order.

The songs I am importing are already numbered the iTunes way, i.e. 01 Track one.m4a, 02 Track two.m4a etc. and each album is in it's own folder. How can I make iTunes import the songs one folder at a time and in the order the files are numbered. My library is usually sorted after "Date Added" so I can access the latest stuff easily, and I like the added files to come into iTunes the same way as when I rip a CD, i.e. one album at a time and starting with the first track and ending with the last.

I've been looking for a solution to this problem for year but haven't found it. I've also played with Automator with no success. In order to achieve what I want today, I have to drag the files into iTunes one by one. That is very tedious. Surely there must be a better way.

Thanks,
Don

#2 User is offline   chas_m 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:20 AM

You could use a third-party tag editor to fill in those details before importing to iTunes. When ripped from CD, the tracks are always in correct order I find.
Cheers
chas_m

Evangelist, ACDSee Pro for Mac: Get the beta! Join the community!
Help us build the next great Mac photo manager!

My sites: Life in Victoria, CanadaFilm MoiRadio ChasCrusty Old Wave

#3 User is offline   Don69 

• Pip

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:44 AM

View Postchas_m, on 23 December 2009 - 02:20 AM, said:

You could use a third-party tag editor to fill in those details before importing to iTunes. When ripped from CD, the tracks are always in correct order I find.

Thanks for you reply. When you rip a CD, the files are always ripped in the correct order starting with the first track, then the 2nd and so on. However, when you add files from a folder to iTunes, it imports them in a random order, even if the files were originally ripped from CDs in iTunes and the tags are OK. The random order, however, is only noticeable when you sort your iTunes Library by the "Date Added" field. If this is not happening to you, or you have a solution, please let me know.

#4 User is offline   chas_m 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for you reply. When you rip a CD, the files are always ripped in the correct order starting with the first track, then the 2nd and so on. However, when you add files from a folder to iTunes, it imports them in a random order, even if the files were originally ripped from CDs in iTunes and the tags are OK. The random order, however, is only noticeable when you sort your iTunes Library by the "Date Added" field. If this is not happening to you, or you have a solution, please let me know.

Again, you will need to use either the built-in tag editor in iTunes to fill in the track order after importing, or a third-party editor to edit the MP3 or AAC "tags" before importing. There are some third-party apps that purport to do a lot of this work for you, such as Pollux, but they're not always 100 percent accurate (but better than nothing).

This post has been edited by chas_m: 26 December 2009 - 06:22 PM

Cheers
chas_m

#5 User is offline   Don69 

• Pip

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

View Postchas_m, on 26 December 2009 - 06:21 PM, said:

Again, you will need to use either the built-in tag editor in iTunes to fill in the track order after importing, or a third-party editor to edit the MP3 or AAC "tags" before importing. There are some third-party apps that purport to do a lot of this work for you, such as Pollux, but they're not always 100 percent accurate (but better than nothing).

Hi Chas, I don't see how this would help with my problem. As I said, the files I'm adding to iTunes already have perfect ID3 tags, including proper track numbers. No need to edit them. As far as I know, the tag has nothing to do with in which order iTunes imports files. The track numbers, however, are useful when you sort tracks by Artist or Album in iTunes, then the songs are sorted in the track listing order within an album. What I want is the Date Added field to be in the proper track order, which can only happen if iTunes import the files of an album in it's track order. I have not found a way for iTunes to do that.

#6 User is offline   mr 

• Pip

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:19 AM

If I understand your question correctly, when you import a CD into iTunes, you want it to play back in the same order as on the CD? I found that particular feature of iTunes particularly annoying. More so if you are listening to classical. The composer/musician put the tracks on the CD in that order for a reason!

Doug's Scripts [url="http://dougscripts.com/itunes/"] has, or at least had, a script for this called Track Album To Playlist. Once you've imported the CD, you select a track, then run the script. It puts all the tracks in the order they appear on album (CD). It also creates a separate playlist for each album on the sidebar, so your sidebar can be quite long if you have lots of albums.

Now the bad news...I did quick a search for the script, but unfortunately I can't find it. It may be that I'm not looking in the right spot, ( the number of scripts has increased dramatically since I down loaded it two years ago), it may have morphed into something else, or been deleted. There may have been an issue of some sort with iTunes 9, (Doug states on his site that this was the case with a few of them), but I'm using iTunes 9, and the script still works for me.

Hope this helps, at least a little....

#7 User is offline   Don69 

• Pip

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

Thanks mr for your reply but you misunderstood my problem. Any time you add a song to your iTunes library, regardless of if it is by ripping a CD or adding a file from a folder, iTunes records the time and date of that import in the field called "Date Added". This field is not visible by default. You have to enable it by right-clicking on the columns header and set a checkbox next to "Date Added". You can then sort your whole library by this field. And if you do, you'll always have your newest stuff easily accessible at the top or bottom of your library. And if you want to play a new album, you just click on a song and it will start playing in the correct song order for that CD. No need to create a playlist. However, for this to work, the songs have to be added to iTunes in the correct track order. This happens automatically when you rip a CD, but when you import a bunch of songs from a folder, it will just import those in a random order, thus your "Date Added" field will not reflect the correct track order on the CD. This means that I now have to add files one by one to get them into iTunes in the desired order. And this is very time consuming. I wish to find a way for iTunes to import songs from a folder, first by Album or sub-folder and then by track number, starting with track 1 and so forth.

I'm still looking for a solution and would be grateful for any insights to solving the problem.

#8 User is offline   chas_m 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:55 PM

Okay, I think I know where you're coming from now. Thanks for clarifying.

Here's what to do:

1. In iTunes, go to the "view" menu in the menubar.

2. Select "View Options." Check to see if "Track number" is one of the selected options. If it is, go to step 3. If it isn't, check it.

3. Scroll over (horizontally) to the end of the track info for you list of tunes. Somewhere along the way you will see the header "Track Number." Drag it into whatever position you want it to be in.

4. Select "Track Number."

All albums are now in correct track order.
Cheers
chas_m

#9 User is offline   Eric 

• Pip

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:16 AM

Nobody seems to understand what Don is trying to do. I have had this same problem and I have found no solutions. He wants to chose sort by "DATE ADDED" so he can access recently added files. You can not choose "TRACK NUMBER" or any other option at the same time as choosing "DATE ADDED". The situation is even worse when adding multiple albums as a few songs from one album will be added followed by a few songs from another album and so on. The result is broken up sequence of albums when displayed in the "DATE ADDED" option. Add a large folder of different albums and you end up with a library of albums that are broken up and interspersed with other bits of albums (when viewed in the"DATE ADDED" mode). A big mess. Of coarse it all snaps into perfect order when you choose a category other than "DATE ADDED" It has nothing to do with the metadata (other than the "DATE ADDED" metadata) It is all about the order in which itunes (or the finder) adds the songs and albums. It is not done in a logical, sequential order.

What we want to know is if there is a way to force it to add files in proper sequential (by album and song) order?
Decksloft

#10 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:27 AM

View PostEric, on 31 March 2010 - 10:16 AM, said:

Nobody seems to understand what Don is trying to do. I have had this same problem and I have found no solutions.
What we want to know is if there is a way to force it to add files in proper sequential (by album and song) order?

In a word: No. You have no reliable control over the order in which the OS passes dropped files to the receiving application. While it's abstractly possible for a program to collect a series of dropped items and sort them in some way before processing any of them, I think it would be very rare for any developer to feel it's worth the not-insignificant effort it would take to do it right.

#11 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:56 AM

View PostDon69, on 22 December 2009 - 02:49 PM, said:

My library is usually sorted after "Date Added" so I can access the latest stuff easily, and I like the added files to come into iTunes the same way as when I rip a CD, i.e. one album at a time and starting with the first track and ending with the last.

This is one of my biggest iTunes annoyances, and unfortunately I haven't found a perfect solution. My personal workaround is a playlist called Recent Albums that's sorted by album; I drag new albums to this playlist and occasionally delete older albums from it.
Dan Frakes / Senior Editor, Macworld

#12 User is offline   memyselfandi 

• PipPip

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:03 PM

View PostDon69, on 11 January 2010 - 05:44 PM, said:

Thanks mr for your reply but you misunderstood my problem. Any time you add a song to your iTunes library, regardless of if it is by ripping a CD or adding a file from a folder, iTunes records the time and date of that import in the field called "Date Added". This field is not visible by default. You have to enable it by right-clicking on the columns header and set a checkbox next to "Date Added". You can then sort your whole library by this field. And if you do, you'll always have your newest stuff easily accessible at the top or bottom of your library. And if you want to play a new album, you just click on a song and it will start playing in the correct song order for that CD. No need to create a playlist. However, for this to work, the songs have to be added to iTunes in the correct track order. This happens automatically when you rip a CD, but when you import a bunch of songs from a folder, it will just import those in a random order, thus your "Date Added" field will not reflect the correct track order on the CD. This means that I now have to add files one by one to get them into iTunes in the desired order. And this is very time consuming. I wish to find a way for iTunes to import songs from a folder, first by Album or sub-folder and then by track number, starting with track 1 and so forth.

I'm still looking for a solution and would be grateful for any insights to solving the problem.

My solution is to make a smart playlist whose criteria is "Date Added is in the last 4 months" (you can set that to whatever you think of as new stuff). Then it will pick up all files added in that time frame. You can then sort that playlist by album and all the tracks will list in numerical order. I actually have 3 like that, 1 called New Today set for 24hrs, 1 called New1 set to 1 month and another called New4 set to 4 months. I also set a criteria in the 1 and 4 month version thats is "Date last Played is not in the last 24hrs", that way you can open it up and start playing and it will cycle through all your new stuff with out repeating for 24hrs.

Know it not 100% what your asking for but its really the best you can do unless you can find that Applescript earlier poster was talking about.

#13 User is offline   wompedydan 

• Pip

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

i too keep my library sorted by "date added" and have struggled with this utterly frustrating problem for years. with every major release of iTunes i hope that they will add new view options which allow for an easy work around. like being able to simply sort by "date album added" and then sort the tracks in proper sequential order for instance, or letting me modify the "date added" info somehow manually, or perhaps a more impressive re-imagining of the library view. something more akin to the store view, but locally. i don't know, something cool and highly customizable. but, alas, this is never going to happen it seems.

so, my personal solutions? well, sadly, the most common one i resort to is the most arduous and annoying: adding each track one-by-one, in order. this method is bulletproof and results in exactly the right outcome. however it's very time consuming, because once your library is very large, adding each new track takes anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds. you have to drag them into the library, wait for the little blue-highlight box to appear, then let up on the mouse button. adding a lot of tracks this way is painful.

another option that i've found sometimes works: if you bypass iTunes' Library and drag everything you want to add from the finder directly onto an iPod (which is managed manually, rather than by iTunes auto sync), you can then put the files into a playlist in the order your want (by album, then by sequential track) then use an app like Senuti or iPodRip or whatever to copy the playlist into your iTunes Library, and it'll move them over in the proper order. The process of copying tends to take a while, but i've had pretty good results with this method. it's not, however, always 100% correct. sometimes a random track or two will be in the wrong order. if you're importing a lot of stuff and it took 40 minutes, then the fact that one or two tracks are wrong is just amazingly annoying. and since there's no way to correcting those few tracks, so you have to re-do the import entirely, and usually it will make the same mistake on subsequent attempts anyway. so it's hopeless. but again, this solution has at times worked flawlessly. maybe some playlist importing apps are better than others and I haven't found the best one yet? let me know if you find one that works 100% of the time.

best of luck. and here's hoping iTunes 10 is bloody amazing!

#14 User is offline   GTune 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

"How can I add a folder of songs to iTunes in the same track order as the original CD? When I add a bunch of songs to the library, iTunes imports them in a seemingly random order."
"I've been looking for a solution to this problem for year but haven't found it. I've also played with Automator with no success. In order to achieve what I want today, I have to drag the files into iTunes one by one. That is very tedious. Surely there must be a better way."

I got so annoyed with this I wrote a program to solve it. It's free, open source and works with MacOS and Windows.

It loads your music into iTunes so that when you sort by 'Date Added' it also sorts by album and in track order correctly without songs being mixed up.

Free download here : http://graemebell.ne...re/add-my-tunes

No fancy setup, just double click and it runs.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users