Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: How do I delete or disable the YouTube App from my iPhone? - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do I delete or disable the YouTube App from my iPhone?

#1 User is offline   OldMacster 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:51 PM

I have absolutely zero use for the YouTube App on my iPhone. Is there a way to get ride of this App allthgether? I'd settle for being able to "hide" the icon in the event that deleting is not an option or too difficult and conveluted.

I've tried the "hold your finger for three seconds on an icon" routine; as I'm sure you already know, an "x" doesn't appear next to icons like YouTube and other "original" apps that came with the iPhone. So what do I do?

Please help me resolve this... Thanx!

Siegfried
Hemet, California
OldMacster

#2 User is offline   sandbag1 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:17 PM

OldMacster, on 07 January 2010 - 01:51 PM, said:

I have absolutely zero use for the YouTube App on my iPhone. Is there a way to get ride of this App allthgether? I'd settle for being able to "hide" the icon in the event that deleting is not an option or too difficult and conveluted.

I've tried the "hold your finger for three seconds on an icon" routine; as I'm sure you already know, an "x" doesn't appear next to icons like YouTube and other "original" apps that came with the iPhone. So what do I do?

Please help me resolve this... Thanx!

Siegfried
Hemet, California

Well you could always drag it to a page far to the right and you'd probably never have to see it.

#3 User is offline   GregoriusM 

• PipPip

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:32 PM

That's what I do with any of the iPhone apps I don't use regularly.

I put them on a page of their own at the end.

#4 User is offline   iHing 

• PipPip

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:21 AM

I do the same drag it to last page on your iPhone or in iTunes.
iHing @ iCrazee - A Hip Cool Guide to Apple Mac, iPhone and iPad

#5 User is offline   OldMacster 

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:24 PM

Hello All,

Thanx 4 all the humor and less than serious replies; I, however, honestly and absolutely had to delete or disable YouTube. So, with much effort and perserverance, I alone have solved this puzzel.

Believe it or not, Apple has provided the perfect solution for anyone wishing to do just what I wanted to do. Here's how:

Click "Settings" then "General" then "Restrictions" then enter your passcode, then under "Allow" simply click the desired App "Off" (in this case YouTube).

Attention MacWorld, PLEASE(!) publish this in an upcomming issue of your magazine.

CUL8R! 

OldMacster

This post has been edited by OldMacster: 26 January 2010 - 10:27 PM

OldMacster

#6 User is online   major7 

• PipPip

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:42 AM

Bravo! I have searched all over and can't believe getting an answer to this situation could be so difficult. Thanks for figuring it out. The only draw back is that it's just as easy to turn the app back on. It would be nice if the app could be completely removed. Also, I don't understand why the same feature is not available for the Stocks app.

#7 User is offline   AmazingPrick 

• Pip

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:00 AM

There is a possibillity of hiding stock apps!

The default setting for each iPhone is that you are allowed to have 10 pages full of aplications. But there is a secreat 11th one!
The trick is to put as much apps on your phone as u need to get to the last page. That means you only need one app each page, execpt the 10th. There you need to have the pagge completly filled with apps.
Now you drag the app which you want to be hidden at the very last position of page 10. That means bottom right.
The important step now is to drag an app from page 9 to page 10 top,that the last app, which should be your stock app (in this case youtube), is getting pushed to the next page. This page is the 11th which u cant see or adress.
Now you can delete all the apps that are not needed anymore to get to page 10 and you will have a "clean" iPhone.

I hope I could help you.

#8 User is offline   GabeMiceli 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

Do you have a computer?

#9 User is offline   OldMacster 

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

GabeMiceli, on 28 May 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

Do you have a computer?

@ GaveMiceli... Yes I do, and I assume that you do too. Please scroll up and read; there you will see that I had answered my own Q 2 1/2 years ago. Thanx anyway... ;-)
OldMacster

#10 User is offline   GabeMiceli 

• Pip

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

I was going to say: Download iPhone Explorer, Plug in your device, Find "Applications", Find "YouTube.'extension name' and Delete it.

#11 User is offline   jhonsmith1 

• Pip

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:29 AM

GabeMiceli, on 29 May 2012 - 12:52 PM, said:

I was going to say: Download iPhone Explorer, Plug in your device, Find "Applications", Find "YouTube.'extension name' and Delete it.

Yeah! thats the good way to delete youtube apps.
thanks for sharing this. :)

#12 User is offline   bonebrEke 

• PipPip

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

can it delete other un-deletable apps aside from youtube?

#13 User is offline   weirdowonk 

• PipPip

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

Wow, I can indeed relate to the previous comments in here. What I do is I just drag my unused apps or those that are used once in a blue moon on the last folder and that's it. Never had an idea on how to delete it. Thank you for the information! :)

#14 User is offline   mountaindroid35 

• PipPip

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:37 AM

I suppose the above method only works with the latest OS. The older 4.x versions doesn't seem to have these app restriction features.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users