Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Preview can't open PICT files - Macworld Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Preview can't open PICT files Preview in Snow Leopard does not open PICT format

#1 User is offline   kp4bjd 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 11-November 09

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:35 AM

By now some of you, perhaps more than a few, have become aware that the Snow Leopard version of Preview does not read PICT format images (aka "QuickDraw picture").Those of us who have remained longtime faithful users of Apple are left with the boring and (for those who do it manually) exhausting task of transferring these images to a format Preview can read, because Preview does offer a faster way of opening images. Perhaps someone will suggest an application we can drag these files into so they an be quickly transformed?
0

#2 User is offline   dougster 

  • Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5,072
  • Joined: 25-February 01

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:43 AM

View Postkp4bjd, on 10 January 2010 - 06:35 AM, said:

By now some of you, perhaps more than a few, have become aware that the Snow Leopard version of Preview does not read PICT format images (aka "QuickDraw picture").Those of us who have remained longtime faithful users of Apple are left with the boring and (for those who do it manually) exhausting task of transferring these images to a format Preview can read, because Preview does offer a faster way of opening images. Perhaps someone will suggest an application we can drag these files into so they an be quickly transformed?

-Hi,
Might give DropJPEG v4.0 a try. Drag the app into the Dock and drag your pixs on top to convert.
-doug
0

#3 User is offline   kp4bjd 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 11-November 09

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

Dougster, I tried "DropJPG" .. to no avail. It works on other formats, but not on PICT files. :( Thanks for trying to help.
0

#4 User is offline   bastion 

  • Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9,272
  • Joined: 14-October 04

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:46 AM

View Postkp4bjd, on 10 January 2010 - 06:35 AM, said:

By now some of you, perhaps more than a few, have become aware that the Snow Leopard version of Preview does not read PICT format images (aka "QuickDraw picture").Those of us who have remained longtime faithful users of Apple are left with the boring and (for those who do it manually) exhausting task of transferring these images to a format Preview can read, because Preview does offer a faster way of opening images. Perhaps someone will suggest an application we can drag these files into so they an be quickly transformed?


Might be worth a shot with GraphicConverter.

The biggest problem with PICT files is that it's not a simple format. While a lot of people think of PICT files as just another (Mac) image file format, it's really a series of drawing commands, not unlike PostScript in concept. For most files you see, the contents are a single command: Draw the bitmap described by the following data. But it's entirely possible for a PICT to contain: Set the foreground color to {0,0,255}, set the pen width to 5, draw a roundrect in this rectangle, set the foreground color to {192,192,192}, set the font to Helvetica 12 in the ill-advised outline style, draw the text "Vinnie's House of Pleather" at this location....
0

#5 User is offline   bastion 

  • Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9,272
  • Joined: 14-October 04

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:17 AM

View Postbastion, on 11 January 2010 - 08:46 AM, said:

View Postkp4bjd, on 10 January 2010 - 06:35 AM, said:

By now some of you, perhaps more than a few, have become aware that the Snow Leopard version of Preview does not read PICT format images (aka "QuickDraw picture").Those of us who have remained longtime faithful users of Apple are left with the boring and (for those who do it manually) exhausting task of transferring these images to a format Preview can read, because Preview does offer a faster way of opening images. Perhaps someone will suggest an application we can drag these files into so they an be quickly transformed?


Might be worth a shot with GraphicConverter.

The biggest problem with PICT files is that it's not a simple format. While a lot of people think of PICT files as just another (Mac) image file format, it's really a series of drawing commands, not unlike PostScript in concept. For most files you see, the contents are a single command: Draw the bitmap described by the following data. But it's entirely possible for a PICT to contain: Set the foreground color to {0,0,255}, set the pen width to 5, draw a roundrect in this rectangle, set the foreground color to {192,192,192}, set the font to Helvetica 12 in the ill-advised outline style, draw the text "Vinnie's House of Pleather" at this location....


Following up with some more information: The PICT type was formally deprecated with the release of 10.4, nearly 5 years ago. As of 10.6, applications have to go out of their way to receive PICT data on the clipboard, because the system notices it and provides a translation to another format that's given a higher priority as far as the receiving app is concerned.

The good news in that is, of course, that this implies the OS still for the moment fully supports reading and rendering PICTs. If you can't find anything in the next day or so, let me know and I'll throw together something that does it.
0

#6 User is offline   kp4bjd 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 11-November 09

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

I have been using PhotoShop CS4 to read the PICT files and then save them, as either JPEG or TIFF files. GraphicConverter, now in version 6.6.1, also works. But in both these cases the workflow is tedious; albeit if I were more creative and ready to invest the time I am sure an automated process, such as those offered by these programs, or just Apple Scripts, would do the trick. I was hoping for a simple drag & drop application. ;)
0

#7 User is offline   macnuke 

  • Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8,903
  • Joined: 05-March 04

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:55 AM

once you choose an app for your PICT files...

find a .pct or .pict.

click once on it.
Get Info
about halfway down.. Open With... set the app you want opening all files with that suffix.
0

#8 User is offline   bastion 

  • Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9,272
  • Joined: 14-October 04

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:15 AM

View Postkp4bjd, on 11 January 2010 - 10:27 AM, said:

I have been using PhotoShop CS4 to read the PICT files and then save them, as either JPEG or TIFF files. GraphicConverter, now in version 6.6.1, also works. But in both these cases the workflow is tedious; albeit if I were more creative and ready to invest the time I am sure an automated process, such as those offered by these programs, or just Apple Scripts, would do the trick. I was hoping for a simple drag & drop application. ;)


If GC does open them, the bulk conversion mode available under the File menu is barely more effort than drag-and-drop. And, given that you'd likely want some control over the conversion anyway I'd estimate it's a wash.
0

#9 User is offline   kp4bjd 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 11-November 09

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

View Postbastion, on 11 January 2010 - 11:15 AM, said:

View Postkp4bjd, on 11 January 2010 - 10:27 AM, said:

I have been using PhotoShop CS4 to read the PICT files and then save them, as either JPEG or TIFF files. GraphicConverter, now in version 6.6.1, also works. But in both these cases the workflow is tedious; albeit if I were more creative and ready to invest the time I am sure an automated process, such as those offered by these programs, or just Apple Scripts, would do the trick. I was hoping for a simple drag & drop application. ;)


If GC does open them, the bulk conversion mode available under the File menu is barely more effort than drag-and-drop. And, given that you'd likely want some control over the conversion anyway I'd estimate it's a wash.


Yes, GC opens them, and what you've proposed works for me. Thank you kindly. Since double-clicking a PICT file (that by OS 10.6.2 default is opened with Preview) informs me "Unsupported File Format" because "the PICT file format is not supported in 64-bit mode"…now with the files converted to JPEGs and TIFFs they open with Preview okay. Gabe
0

#10 User is offline   dougster 

  • Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5,072
  • Joined: 25-February 01

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

View Postkp4bjd, on 11 January 2010 - 11:52 AM, said:

View Postbastion, on 11 January 2010 - 11:15 AM, said:

View Postkp4bjd, on 11 January 2010 - 10:27 AM, said:

I have been using PhotoShop CS4 to read the PICT files and then save them, as either JPEG or TIFF files. GraphicConverter, now in version 6.6.1, also works. But in both these cases the workflow is tedious; albeit if I were more creative and ready to invest the time I am sure an automated process, such as those offered by these programs, or just Apple Scripts, would do the trick. I was hoping for a simple drag & drop application. ;)


If GC does open them, the bulk conversion mode available under the File menu is barely more effort than drag-and-drop. And, given that you'd likely want some control over the conversion anyway I'd estimate it's a wash.


Yes, GC opens them, and what you've proposed works for me. Thank you kindly. Since double-clicking a PICT file (that by OS 10.6.2 default is opened with Preview) informs me "Unsupported File Format" because "the PICT file format is not supported in 64-bit mode"…now with the files converted to JPEGs and TIFFs they open with Preview okay. Gabe

-Hi,
Glad GC works well with the .pict files. Here is the link in case another member needs it: Peek Here
-doug
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users