Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: What's the best printer for envelope printing? - Macworld Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's the best printer for envelope printing?

#1 User is offline   tamiwhiteside 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 29-March 04

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:38 AM

I currently have an Epson Stylus CX5400. My recent task of printing 400+ envelopes was painful because they had to be fed one at a time. And when I say fed, I mean FED. I had to help them along with just the right amount of pressure, otherwise they would slide and jam.

With another 800+ envelope printing job pending, I'm looking at options. A Google search for various phrases built around "best envelope printer" yields results over 4 years old; really ancient!

Here are the parameters:
1) NO... window envelopes are not an option; these are wedding invitations.
2) Price range: less than $350; much less if possible.

Anyone out there with relevant experience?
0

#2 User is offline   dougster 

  • Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5,072
  • Joined: 25-February 01

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:58 PM

-Hi,
Can't recommend a printer for that task, but whats wrong with printing labels and forget the envelopes?
-doug
0

#3 User is offline   tamiwhiteside 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 29-March 04

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

View Postdougster, on 23 February 2010 - 01:58 PM, said:

-Hi,
Can't recommend a printer for that task, but whats wrong with printing labels and forget the envelopes?


LOL! No offense, Doug, but you're clearly a man. No woman in her right mind would put labels on a wedding invitation envelope.
0

#4 User is offline   chas_m 

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,285
  • Joined: 07-December 09

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

[quote name='tamiwhiteside' date='23 February 2010 - 10:13 PM' timestamp='1266963205' post='796568'LOL! No offense, Doug, but you're clearly a man. No woman in her right mind would put labels on a wedding invitation envelope.
[/quote]

LOL!

OTOH, I have to retort that nobody in their right mind would try and do 800 envelopes on an inkjet (any inkjet)!

You really should take this job to a commercial quick-print place. They will have the imposingly large Xerox-type laser copiers that can read a CSV address file and knock out 800 envelopes before you get back from lunch. :)
Cheers
chas_m


Evangelist, ACDSee Pro for Mac: Get the beta! Join the community!
Help us build the next great Mac photo manager!


My sites: Life in Victoria, CanadaFilm MoiRadio ChasCrusty Old Wave
0

#5 User is offline   tamiwhiteside 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 29-March 04

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:01 PM

[quote name='chas_m' date='23 February 2010 - 05:49 PM' timestamp='1266976194' post='796621']
[quote name='tamiwhiteside' date='23 February 2010 - 10:13 PM' timestamp='1266963205' post='796568'LOL! No offense, Doug, but you're clearly a man. No woman in her right mind would put labels on a wedding invitation envelope.
[/quote]

LOL!

OTOH, I have to retort that nobody in their right mind would try and do 800 envelopes on an inkjet (any inkjet)!

You really should take this job to a commercial quick-print place. They will have the imposingly large Xerox-type laser copiers that can read a CSV address file and knock out 800 envelopes before you get back from lunch. :)
[/quote]

But will they have the oh-so-special font that I purchased for just this purpose?
And an inkjet does pages with 800 addresses just fine. Is this really such a big deal?
Clearly from the comments I'm getting so far, printer makers don't care about this market.
0

#6 User is offline   dougster 

  • Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5,072
  • Joined: 25-February 01

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:40 AM

View Posttamiwhiteside, on 23 February 2010 - 02:13 PM, said:

View Postdougster, on 23 February 2010 - 01:58 PM, said:

-Hi,
Can't recommend a printer for that task, but whats wrong with printing labels and forget the envelopes?


LOL! No offense, Doug, but you're clearly a man. No woman in her right mind would put labels on a wedding invitation envelope.


:lol: ...OK, not a good idea after all, but you could take your font (folder) via USB thumb drive to a place that can easily handle the load. We use to take our fonts to the printers on a Zip disk. So I'm sure they will still do that. Or at least call some places. Just a thought... :rolleyes:
-doug
0

#7 User is offline   tamiwhiteside 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 29-March 04

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:01 AM

View Postdougster, on 24 February 2010 - 08:40 AM, said:

View Posttamiwhiteside, on 23 February 2010 - 02:13 PM, said:

View Postdougster, on 23 February 2010 - 01:58 PM, said:

-Hi,
Can't recommend a printer for that task, but whats wrong with printing labels and forget the envelopes?


LOL! No offense, Doug, but you're clearly a man. No woman in her right mind would put labels on a wedding invitation envelope.


:lol: ...OK, not a good idea after all, but you could take your font (folder) via USB thumb drive to a place that can easily handle the load. We use to take our fonts to the printers on a Zip disk. So I'm sure they will still do that. Or at least call some places. Just a thought... :rolleyes:


Thanks for that, Doug. I'll check that out. Good idea on taking the font with.
But I'm struck by the lack of affordable technology to address this issue. Seems like people are having to accommodate the technology (via labels and window envelopes) as opposed to technology serving the people.
0

#8 User is offline   chas_m 

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,285
  • Joined: 07-December 09

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:20 AM

To be fair, not a lot of people get married all that often. :)

Nor do most of us need to print hundreds of envelopes on a routine basis. I think I sent out 50 for xmas last year, and that's pretty much the only time I ever need to do more than one or two.

If you were talking about 800 sheets of paper, I think we could find an easy solution for you, but envelopes are incredibly thick relative to paper and thus are very difficult to handle en masse by the cheap mechanics you're going to find in any reasonably-priced printer.
Cheers
chas_m


Evangelist, ACDSee Pro for Mac: Get the beta! Join the community!
Help us build the next great Mac photo manager!


My sites: Life in Victoria, CanadaFilm MoiRadio ChasCrusty Old Wave
0

#9 User is offline   tamiwhiteside 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 29-March 04

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:52 PM

View Postchas_m, on 24 February 2010 - 11:20 AM, said:

To be fair, not a lot of people get married all that often. :)

Nor do most of us need to print hundreds of envelopes on a routine basis. I think I sent out 50 for xmas last year, and that's pretty much the only time I ever need to do more than one or two.

If you were talking about 800 sheets of paper, I think we could find an easy solution for you, but envelopes are incredibly thick relative to paper and thus are very difficult to handle en masse by the cheap mechanics you're going to find in any reasonably-priced printer.


So if I take the cost requirements off my initial request, what product in particular would be recommended?
(Yes, most individuals don't have the need for this many envelopes. But one servicing the wedding industry does.)
0

#10 User is offline   chas_m 

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,285
  • Joined: 07-December 09

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:05 AM

View Posttamiwhiteside, on 24 February 2010 - 01:52 PM, said:

So if I take the cost requirements off my initial request, what product in particular would be recommended?
(Yes, most individuals don't have the need for this many envelopes. But one servicing the wedding industry does.)


Okay, but remember: I warned you. :)

Please keep in mind that the following examples are NOT recommendations, just EXAMPLES of the sort of thing you are looking for.

If you're printing mass numbers of envelopes and only require monochrome, you'll want a specialised laser printer like this one:
http://www.printpsi....ope_printer.htm
Posted Image

For colour, you're probably looking for something like this:
http://www.printpsi....aser_system.htm
Posted Image

These machines are so expensive that outright purchase is actually all but impossible; you will need to go through a "business copier" vendor to arrange a lease.

You can expect to spend a few thousand $$ a year on the lease (not counting the consumables, like toner and paper); the purchase price (if there is one at all) will be as much as a mid-sized automobile.
Cheers
chas_m


Evangelist, ACDSee Pro for Mac: Get the beta! Join the community!
Help us build the next great Mac photo manager!


My sites: Life in Victoria, CanadaFilm MoiRadio ChasCrusty Old Wave
0

#11 User is offline   tamiwhiteside 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 29-March 04

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:13 AM

View Postchas_m, on 25 February 2010 - 05:05 AM, said:

View Posttamiwhiteside, on 24 February 2010 - 01:52 PM, said:

So if I take the cost requirements off my initial request, what product in particular would be recommended?
(Yes, most individuals don't have the need for this many envelopes. But one servicing the wedding industry does.)


Okay, but remember: I warned you. :)

Please keep in mind that the following examples are NOT recommendations, just EXAMPLES of the sort of thing you are looking for.

If you're printing mass numbers of envelopes and only require monochrome, you'll want a specialised laser printer like this one:
http://www.printpsi....ope_printer.htm
Posted Image

For colour, you're probably looking for something like this:
http://www.printpsi....aser_system.htm
Posted Image

These machines are so expensive that outright purchase is actually all but impossible; you will need to go through a "business copier" vendor to arrange a lease.

You can expect to spend a few thousand $$ a year on the lease (not counting the consumables, like toner and paper); the purchase price (if there is one at all) will be as much as a mid-sized automobile.



Wow!
Well, I guess I got my answer.
Thank you! for taking the time with this.
(Guess I'll head off to Fedex/Kinkos now...)
0

#12 User is offline   Rcovell 

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,167
  • Joined: 07-August 01

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

For that many envelopes, I, too, would recommend using a commercial printer.

I recently got a bid from Office Depot on printing a 3 panel 64 lb. color church brochure and
it was no problem for them, just expensive for me. (Since I only needed 50, I did them myself
on my Epson RX 620, 10 at a time.) Envelopes should be a breeze.

BTW, I use the same printer to printer #10 envelopes for use in my business. I just feed it 5 at a time.
I'm guessing that since I've selected 'envelopes' to print, it makes an adjustment for the thickness.
Don't know how many I could do, but, it sure beats one at a time!

Good luck, Bob.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users