• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:00 AM

Post your comments for How to capture Internet radio here

#2 User is offline   JimHS 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for the good overview. I found internet radio to be an excellent alternative to XM which I just recently cancelled because of increasing cost. I found that a dedicated internet radio program is so much better and easier to use than browser based internet radio feeds. I use Rogue Ameoba's RadioShift which works nicely with AirFoil and Airport Express units strewn throughout the house.

#3 User is offline   beno 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:31 AM

I use RadioLover from Bicartel and it does a good job. The problem is that's getting old (2006) and I don't know if they plan an update soon.

#4 User is offline   perdygood 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

I miss the TiVo-like time shifting in these iRadio programs that's found in radioSHARK software. Perhaps TiVo's patents prevent Internet radio developers from selling such a product. Unfortunately radioSHARK is real radio, not Internet radio, and its software is glitchy with no signs of life in the developers.

#5 User is offline   JimHS 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:44 PM

View Postperdygood, on 26 February 2010 - 11:10 AM, said:

I miss the TiVo-like time shifting in these iRadio programs that's found in radioSHARK software. Perhaps TiVo's patents prevent Internet radio developers from selling such a product. Unfortunately radioSHARK is real radio, not Internet radio, and its software is glitchy with no signs of life in the developers.
I use RadioShift to "time shift" various internet stream programs like mystery series and old time radio shows. It works quite well.

#6 User is offline   perdygood 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:21 PM

View PostJimHS, on 26 February 2010 - 01:44 PM, said:

View Postperdygood, on 26 February 2010 - 11:10 AM, said:

I use RadioShift to "time shift" various internet stream programs like mystery series and old time radio shows. It works quite well.

TiVo-like units and radioSHARK buffer A/V material in real time. While listening "live", this allows the user to pause/resume or skip backwards in time through the buffer for 30-60 minutes (or for many hours with a large buffer in radioSHARK) even while a program is in progress and without having to formally record the program.

RadioShift can record programs on a schedule, but it only plays back the recordings linearly and the only playback controls are pause and stop. If you want to skip around (even forward), this can only be done after the recording is finished and after the recording has been exported to another program like iTunes that does allow skipping. With RadioShift, if you're listening to a program live and then decide you'd like to record it, you lose all of what was already heard and only what comes afterward gets recorded.

This post has been edited by perdygood: 26 February 2010 - 02:26 PM

#7 User is offline   fibercut 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

I use the free FStream. Sure you have to know how to find web address of radio stations but it's small size and very low memory use is hard to ignore. I love that little program!
Cutting fiber for everyones need

#8 User is offline   JungleSports 

• Pip

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:11 AM

Just FYI, I compared Radio Gaga to Snowtape and decided on Snowtape. Both are great, just a matter of taste I suppose.

#9 User is offline   giulio 

• PipPip

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:53 PM

What about XStreamRipper?
http://code.google.c.../xstreamripper/

#10 User is offline   robinh 

• PipPip

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:45 PM

+1 Snowtape

#11 User is offline   adamfish 

• Pip

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

I love Audio HijackPro from Rogue Amoeba. Great piece of software

#12 User is offline   robertcoogan 

• PipPip

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:35 AM

I've used Internet Stream Archiver for a long time, and love the fact that it will record radio streams as individual .mp3 files (if the broadcasting station supports it) as opposed to one long audio file. Right now I can't test RadioShift to see if it supports this...I am away from home and am suffering from a super-slow connection. But the features that RadioShift has is like Internet Stream Archiver on steroids. As soon as I can I am going to try it out!

#13 User is offline   robertcoogan 

• PipPip

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:35 AM

...and I take it back. I got an e-mail back from Rogue Amoeba, they say that RadioShift can't split a broadcast based on ID3 data in an MP3 stream. It is a shame, what I used to do was record Somafm and swap out playlists every other day on my iPod touch. The dev has no plans to incorporate this sort of feature at this time, so I am sticking with iSA for now. It is a shame, going through the trouble of manually editing a recorded file. It's is easier to just hit the next button and go to the next song. Oh well.

#14 User is offline   divingdave 

• Pip

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:45 AM

SnowTape is worth mentioning here as well. It is really worth the money. It records from stations all over the world and new stations added all the time. It seamlessly adds directly to iTunes with most of the meta info and you can edit with in the program to save hard drive space later. Oh yah, its a great player as well.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users