• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

Post your comments for MacBook versus mini disc here

#2 User is offline   danviento 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:35 AM

I don't know about current internal optical drive, but the Superdrive from my PowerBook has a arm that will rise up when you insert a disk as the spindle grabs the center of it. I assume it's to keep people from accidentally trying to insert another disk while the original is already inside and spinning, where doing so (without the metal arm) would damage the spindle.

The arm is positioned dead-center, and even any minidisc would no be able to get by.

On the upside, if you have the tenacity to try it yourself, I can tell you that there are pictorial tear-down guides for just about every mac out there, and getting to the optical drive isn't all that hard if you're careful.

#3 User is offline   magicmime 

• Pip

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:37 AM

It's not mini disc, but mini dvd. There is no way a mini disc fits in the media slot.
Mini discs are discs made by Sony for their md-walkman.

#4 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:40 AM

View Postmagicmime, on 15 March 2010 - 09:37 AM, said:

It's not mini disc, but mini dvd. There is no way a mini disc fits in the media slot.

Actually, what you're thinking of is the Minidisc (one word), which is indeed the Sony format. These mini discs come in a variety of flavors -- some round, some not, and CD, DVD, and media.

#5 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:43 AM

View Postdanviento, on 15 March 2010 - 09:35 AM, said:

I don't know about current internal optical drive, but the Superdrive from my PowerBook has a arm that will rise up when you insert a disk as the spindle grabs the center of it.

The hope here is that the disc isn't in far enough that the spindle was able to grab it -- that it's floating around in there loose. That's why the shaking has been known to get it out.

As for the tear-apart instructions, I was a little wary of providing links to someone who "accidentally" put one of these discs in their MacBook.

#6 User is offline   hayesk 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

Given that a Nintendo Wii can accept mini GameCube discs and full size Wii discs, it's surprising that computer drives can not do the same thing.

#7 User is offline   bjojade 

• PipPip

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:28 PM

If the machine thinks a disc is loaded, pressing the eject key should tell it to eject, freeing up the slot.

Odds are though, it's going to be stuck and need disassembly to get out.

#8 User is offline   NOW4REAL954 

• PipPip

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

this is a pretty stupid thing to do...but I'm sure it's been done millions of times...hope you get it out without having to have your macbook taken apart and the like...

I once scratched an install DVD because I upgraded my old macbook's Combo drive to Superdrive...and didn’t get one of the screws all the way in and it scratched the brand new install DVD for Leopard the day after I bought it...luckily I had friends at the Best Buy and they exchanged it for me...lol

so stupid is as stupid does...we all have brain farts now and then...good luck on getting it out

#9 User is offline   newuser1980 

• PipPip

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:18 PM

if apple would use back those older type dvd drive, the one that stick out a cd case, this will sovle all the problem, my samsnung r60 can let me use all kind of dvd shape, minicd, minDVD, heart shape or star, using a macbook, make it have all kind of problem, and those suck in type diver can sketch you disk too.

#10 User is offline   BogieWoz 

• PipPip

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

My girlfriend did that with her Macbook Pro. I managed to get it out by turn it around, and gentlely shaking it out. Guess I was lucky.
Mac Pro, 3.0GHz (2008), iMac 2005 (PPC, 20 in)

#11 User is offline   grossnicklaus_a 

• PipPip

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:10 AM

View PostChris Breen, on 15 March 2010 - 09:40 AM, said:

Actually, what you're thinking of is the Minidisc (one word), which is indeed the Sony format. These mini discs come in a variety of flavors -- some round, some not, and CD, DVD, and media.

MiniDisc and Mini Disc are the same thing. What everyone is referring to is a Mini CD or Mini DVD.

#12 User is offline   grossnicklaus_a 

• PipPip

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:13 AM

View PostChris Breen, on 15 March 2010 - 09:40 AM, said:

MiniDisc and Mini Disc are the same thing. What everyone is referring to is a Mini CD or Mini DVD.

Tweezers work great for removing them, especially the long kind that have the locking mechanism on them.
Having a tech remove the drive is the worst case because it's one of the most involved repairs on the Macbooks.

#13 User is offline   Pbrack 

• Pip

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

This happened to a friend of mine-- I found a solution somewhere on the internet so this is not my original idea... also, it could have certain risks to your drive. Cut a piece of cardboard from a cereal box or similar sturdy but thin cardboard about 2" x 8" or so. Apply several 2-3" strips of double stick tape to one side just on one end of the board. When I gently inserted the board tape-side down into the superdrive the 2.5" disc stuck to the tape and I was able to retrieve it. For me it worked like a charm and the first time. I'm not making any guarantee for this method but... I was a hero that day for fixing my friends computer. Good Luck

#14 User is offline   hillstones 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:16 PM

If you decide to do major surgery by opening the SuperDrive itself to extract the 3" CD, you also risk radiation exposure if you happen to compromise the laser assembly.

I haven't seen a 3" CD in years, but I guess some promo disc may be in that size disc.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users