Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: The iPad and accessories: What you need to know - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The iPad and accessories: What you need to know

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:30 AM

Post your comments for The iPad and accessories: What you need to know here

#2 User is offline   SFrawley 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:58 AM

I heard the Apple case was junky but was suspect of the fit of others and was waiting. Thanks for confirming my fit concerns.
Steve Frawley
Tax, Accounting & Computers Svcs
Since 1984

#3 User is offline   malloon 

• PipPip

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:08 AM

Will it fit in my iPod Socks? Maybe if I put on a pair of them, one at each end?

#4 User is offline   Scottor 

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:28 AM

View Postmalloon, on 07 April 2010 - 05:08 AM, said:

Will it fit in my iPod Socks? Maybe if I put on a pair of them, one at each end?

No, but you might try your iPod Boxers. Not the jocky kind, that would be just *wrong*.

#5 User is offline   Scottor 

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:32 AM

View PostScottor, on 07 April 2010 - 05:28 AM, said:

View Postmalloon, on 07 April 2010 - 05:08 AM, said:

No, but you might try your iPod Boxers. Not the jocky kind, that would be just *wrong*.

A knit ski hat might just fit perfectly. but not the long "tailie" kind though. Tassels are optional.

#6 User is offline   PaulCharlesworth 

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:05 AM

View PostSFrawley, on 07 April 2010 - 04:58 AM, said:

I heard the Apple case was junky but was suspect of the fit of others and was waiting. Thanks for confirming my fit concerns.

Define Junky because I would completely disagree. I do not know if it is really worth $40 except that all the iPad cases seem expensive and it has excellent design elements, but It is a nice snug fit, provides access to all the ports (including dock connector), and is light weight. The real bonus with this case that you can fold it back on itself and clip the cover in to a flap that creates an angled working surface, just as you see in the Apple images. This simple system gives you a really nice typing/viewing angle when sitting at a table or in a chair with the iPad on your lap. Mine arrived last night and I was really pleased with how it worked. It also allows you to stand the iPad vertically for watching movies, or working with the Bluetooth keyboard. One problem is that it is not possible to use this case with the keyboard dock or the regular dock unless you take it off.

The Griffen case was recommended by Leo on the Daily GizWiz, and he did not like the Apple case, but I am very happy with it. To be honest it is one of the best cases on the market for what I want, which is quick access to the screen. I see no point in buying a slip case that you need to pull the iPad out of and juggle with before you can work with it. I want my case attached to my iPad and I want it to be functional, thing and light. The Apple case is all of these. Until a company like Levengers comes out with a nice case that holds both the iPad, and a paper notepad, I will stick with this one. Had I seen the Griffen case before buying this one, I might have purchased that instead BUT I really like the fold-back stand that this case offers.

This post has been edited by PaulCharlesworth: 07 April 2010 - 06:06 AM

#7 User is offline   PaulCharlesworth 

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:13 AM

I have to say I think the Ristretto cases and the Netbook messenger bags strike me as very strange. To me they are equivalent of buying a dedicated fanny pack for your iphone that also carries your lunch, had three layers of padding and takes 10 minutes to open. You want something that you can reach in to, pull out the iPad, and return to the case in one fluid movement and without a second thought. If you have to open one buckle, find the inner sanctum, pull it out a bit, and open that flap before you can even get at the ipad you are making your life too difficult.

You bought this device because you wanted light, slick and quick access to your content, not for you to buy yet another backpack! With the Apple styled case, you can just toss it in your regular messenger bag, or "man purse," without shelling out another $110.

This post has been edited by PaulCharlesworth: 07 April 2010 - 06:15 AM

#8 User is offline   reusserfarm 

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:21 AM

wondering if the ipad wired usb keyboard might plug in and also work on my imac ?? that would be cool so when just wanting to work on the ipad I don't have to add another keyboard to my desk ??

#9 User is online   bob162 

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:26 AM

Burning question: If i bring the iPad and an iPhone with me, and the iPhone charger won't cut it with the pad, will the iPad charger work on the phone without blowing it up?

#10 User is offline   PaulCharlesworth 

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:29 AM

View Postreusserfarm, on 07 April 2010 - 06:21 AM, said:

wondering if the ipad wired usb keyboard might plug in and also work on my imac ?? that would be cool so when just wanting to work on the ipad I don't have to add another keyboard to my desk ??

Why not just get a bluetooth keyboard for your desk? I have the BT keyboard and it pairs with both my laptop and my iPad without any problems, provided they are not turned on at the same time.

#11 User is offline   luckylindy 

• PipPip

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:30 AM

Anyone know if the iPad supports Voice Over (with the iPhone inline headsets or the built-in mic)? Maybe it has to be turned on (considered an Accessibility option?)

#12 User is offline   reusserfarm 

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:34 AM

I had a bluetooth unit and it died so actually am pleased with the wired unit and since the wired unit has the ipad dock it would be an easy way to sync the ipad too ??

#13 User is offline   MichaelSmith 

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:34 AM

I bought an Incase case for $60. It features 3 different stand positions (4 if you count the original Apple case typing position). It's very heavy duty and seems to protect well.

http://goincase.com/.../detail/CL57512

#14 User is offline   Inkling 

• PipPip

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:41 AM

You might also want to see if the mini Bluetooth keyboards being sold on eBay for about $20 will work. If they do, they're much more compact than even Apple's small Bluetooth keyboard. With luck, one of the major Mac accessory providers will soon be selling one especially adapted for the iPad.

As for cases, I'd add that a slightly larger than average nylon or leather book carriers and half-notebook-sized Daytimer-type cases (minus the ring binder) should work with the iPad. I picked up a sturdy one with an attractive distressed leather look from Goodwill for about $5. They zip open quickly and thieves are unlikely to think "iPad" when they see one.

Now all I need is an iPad.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users