Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Installing XP on an Original MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Installing XP on an Original MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard

#1 User is offline   jlebens 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

I have one of the original MacBook Pro 17" laptops and I've installed a new 500 GB hard drive in it. After a successful clean install of Snow Leopard, I used Boot Camp 3 to create a 32GB windows partition. I then installed Windows XP Home Edition from the original disc. This is a disc I have used successfully in the past to install XP exactly this way on this computer when it was running Tiger, and again when it was running Leopard. All appeared to be fine at this point, so I installed the Windows drivers from the Snow Leopard install disc.

Again, everything appeared to work fine so I went to Windows Update and attempted to download and install Service Pack 3. After an appreciable time in the install phase, the install crashes while trying to load a file called "osloader".

I have done two more erase and installs with exactly the same result at the same point and the hard drive tests out perfectly.

Is there a problem between the old Apple hardware and/or the new Apple version of Boot Camp and/or the old version of Windows? I'm unaware of any such compatibility issue, and haven't found it searching various forums. This acts like a missing file problem, but I'm really stuck.

Another possibility is that I have a corrupted install disc for one of the operating systems. Neither disc is pristine, but they don't show any obvious problems under close examination either. Minor wear only.

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

#2 User is offline   Typhoon14 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:58 PM

You might try creating a slipstreamed Windows XP CD with SP3 included (just google "Windows XP slipstream SP3"). This way you should be able to install a copy of Windows XP that is already updated to SP3. Not sure why you're getting this problem, but this might help.

#3 User is offline   compnovo 

• PipPip

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:15 AM

View Postjlebens, on 11 April 2010 - 02:43 PM, said:

I have one of the original MacBook Pro 17" laptops and I've installed a new 500 GB hard drive in it. After a successful clean install of Snow Leopard, I used Boot Camp 3 to create a 32GB windows partition. I then installed Windows XP Home Edition from the original disc. This is a disc I have used successfully in the past to install XP exactly this way on this computer when it was running Tiger, and again when it was running Leopard. All appeared to be fine at this point, so I installed the Windows drivers from the Snow Leopard install disc.

Again, everything appeared to work fine so I went to Windows Update and attempted to download and install Service Pack 3. After an appreciable time in the install phase, the install crashes while trying to load a file called "osloader".

I have done two more erase and installs with exactly the same result at the same point and the hard drive tests out perfectly.

Is there a problem between the old Apple hardware and/or the new Apple version of Boot Camp and/or the old version of Windows? I'm unaware of any such compatibility issue, and haven't found it searching various forums. This acts like a missing file problem, but I'm really stuck.

Another possibility is that I have a corrupted install disc for one of the operating systems. Neither disc is pristine, but they don't show any obvious problems under close examination either. Minor wear only.

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

I don't know if this issue is unique to Snow Leopard because that's the OS I started using bootcamp with, but the problem is that after the reboot SP3 looks for the primary Windows drive and all it sees is the OS X drive. I copied this workaround from the Apple support page:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3841
Hope this helps.
Early 2009 Mac Mini running OS X 10.6.3/Windows XP Pro SP3, Toshiba Satellite running Windows XP Pro SP3, Homebuilt computer running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

#4 User is offline   jlebens 

• Pip

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

Thanks so much. This is an absolute fix. I did search the Apple support pages for the problem, and now I can't imagine how I missed this. Anyway, All is well and I'm grateful to you.
Jeff

#5 User is offline   compnovo 

• PipPip

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:19 PM

View Postjlebens, on 14 April 2010 - 12:43 PM, said:

Thanks so much. This is an absolute fix. I did search the Apple support pages for the problem, and now I can't imagine how I missed this. Anyway, All is well and I'm grateful to you.
Jeff

:)
Early 2009 Mac Mini running OS X 10.6.3/Windows XP Pro SP3, Toshiba Satellite running Windows XP Pro SP3, Homebuilt computer running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users