• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sorting photos on the iPad?

#1 User is offline   MacFTW 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:21 AM

I imported some photos to my iPad and for some reason it displays them out of order although I named chronologically. Anyone have any idea why it does this? Does it sort by date in the EXIF metadata? Is there a way to sort them the way I want?

#2 User is offline   chas_m 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:12 AM

MacFTW, on 20 April 2010 - 09:21 AM, said:

I imported some photos to my iPad and for some reason it displays them out of order although I named chronologically. Anyone have any idea why it does this? Does it sort by date in the EXIF metadata? Is there a way to sort them the way I want?

The iPad should be displaying them exactly as the same way you have them organised in iPhoto, by "events" (and thus, by chronological timestamp in the picture's metadata).

If you find that this is out of order, examine the photos in iPhoto and correct the timestamp as needed.
Cheers
chas_m

Evangelist, ACDSee Pro for Mac: Get the beta! Join the community!
Help us build the next great Mac photo manager!

My sites: Life in Victoria, CanadaFilm MoiRadio ChasCrusty Old Wave

#3 User is offline   birdrunner 

• Pip

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:33 PM

Sort Shots - iPad Edition allows you to assign your own keywords and ratings to photos so you can sort through them. Might help ya.

#4 User is offline   GeoCarl 

• Pip

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

I've used folders to import my photos, not iPhoto. I export them from Lightroom, my editor of choice. No matter how I try, the loading order into the iPad photo Gallery is unpredictable. I've used alphabetic and numeric file names, and neither is predictable. Further, there's no way I've discovered to see what the file names are on the iPad, once I've imported them. Am I missing something? I envision using iPad as a portfolio preview, and the sequence of the photos (and their filenames) are essential.
Is there an app out there I've missed, or some inside trick with the existing software to control the names, content, and photo sequences of folders?

Frustrated!!

#5 User is offline   chas_m 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:51 AM

GeoCarl, on 06 June 2010 - 06:06 PM, said:

Am I missing something?

Yes, you missed the part where you need to use iPhoto.

(I'm not saying this because I prefer iPhoto -- I actually use another program altogether, as seen in my sig line -- but the iPad is a *consumer* bit of hardware and Apple expects *consumers* to be using their *consumer* software, iPhoto).

Other options will come along in due course, I am sure. For all I know, they already exist: for example, you could instead use a MobileMe gallery and Apple's "Gallery" app to have exactly the sort of control you are looking for.
Cheers
chas_m

#6 User is offline   GeoCarl 

• Pip

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:50 PM

chas_m, on 07 June 2010 - 04:51 AM, said:

GeoCarl, on 06 June 2010 - 06:06 PM, said:

Am I missing something?

Yes, you missed the part where you need to use iPhoto.

(I'm not saying this because I prefer iPhoto -- I actually use another program altogether, as seen in my sig line -- but the iPad is a *consumer* bit of hardware and Apple expects *consumers* to be using their *consumer* software, iPhoto).

Other options will come along in due course, I am sure. For all I know, they already exist: for example, you could instead use a MobileMe gallery and Apple's "Gallery" app to have exactly the sort of control you are looking for.

Still missing something.
On your advice I imported photos into iPhoto, tried again, and the same result.
The problem is the way the pics are sorted into the iPad photo viewer. I renamed all photos, first alphabetically, then second a numeric file name (0001.jpg, 0002.jpg .... 1000.jpg), when I imported them into the iPad photo viewer many of the pictures were put up out of sequence. I've tried working through iPhoto, or by iTunes other sync option where I choose the folder I wish to import. Same result. iPads photo viewer import is unpredictable and erratic. I've gleaned "instructions" from on line and published resources, but they all make it sound much easier than it is. If there is a sorting algorithm in the import procedure, then it's not working correctly. How hard is it to sort a list numerically OR alphabetically anyway?
Since I plan to use the iPad for showing portfolios to people, the order the pictures is absolutely critical. Apple's viewer doesn't seem to have a way to move photos around after they've been imported; it's badly needed. Nowhere can I access a filename for the photo once it's imported, but that's needed for the portfolio. Nowhere do I find a way to rename the photos once they are on the iPad. Apple, how about a list view for photos where you could edit by moving photos up/down the list, something like other apps have (the three horizontal bars at the right of the list that you can drag up or down within the list)?

Frustrated.

#7 User is offline   BobK60517 

• Pip

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

As mentioned above, the iPad seems to sort it by the "date taken" metadata stored by the camera. So renaming the pictures doesn't change anything. If I edit the pictures and lose the metadata, then things change. So my edited pictures appear at random spots among the originals. Frustrating.

This post has been edited by BobK60517: 10 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

#8 User is offline   chas_m 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:29 AM

Please refer back to my earlier post in this thread (#2). By default, the photo viewer on the iPad sorts by events or "Photos", both of which use the embedded (ie the EXIF) data in the picture file itself as to when the pictures were taken (you can also view photos by album, Faces, and Places).

What you want to do will require either one of two options:

1. You creating "smart albums" in iPhoto that sort by the criteria you want, then syncing those albums with the iPad and using the iPad's "Album" view.

2. Using a different (third-party) photo viewer for the iPad.

This post has been edited by chas_m: 12 June 2010 - 03:30 AM

Cheers
chas_m

#9 User is offline   FoxPhoto 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

Hi

I did a Google search and found this thread as I was having the same problem. I think I have now found the solution, though. This is what I did

1) Named photos in numerical order, being careful to name number 1 "01" or if I have more than 99 in the folder I name number 1 "001".

2) Import the photos into iPhote and then go to "View" and "Sort Photos"and then make sure the "By Title" and "Ascending" labels have a tick against them.

3) Select all the photos in the folder and then create an album in iPhoto by "File" and "New Album from selection"

4) Make sure the album is STILL in numerical order, and if not not re-sort as per 2)

5) Sync folder via iTunes

6) Voila! Album on the iPad is now in numerical order and NOT date order.

Hope this helps guys :)

#10 User is offline   FoxPhoto 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:35 PM

BTW - if any of you are using Photoshop, then Damien Lovegrove has an excellent action for resizing your photos for the iPad.

http://www.prophoton...-for-photoshop/

#11 User is offline   jazzdog 

• Pip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:04 AM

GeoCarl, on 10 June 2010 - 01:50 PM, said:

Still missing something.
On your advice I imported photos into iPhoto, tried again, and the same result.
The problem is the way the pics are sorted into the iPad photo viewer. I renamed all photos, first alphabetically, then second a numeric file name (0001.jpg, 0002.jpg .... 1000.jpg), when I imported them into the iPad photo viewer many of the pictures were put up out of sequence. I've tried working through iPhoto, or by iTunes other sync option where I choose the folder I wish to import. Same result. iPads photo viewer import is unpredictable and erratic. I've gleaned "instructions" from on line and published resources, but they all make it sound much easier than it is. If there is a sorting algorithm in the import procedure, then it's not working correctly. How hard is it to sort a list numerically OR alphabetically anyway?
Since I plan to use the iPad for showing portfolios to people, the order the pictures is absolutely critical. Apple's viewer doesn't seem to have a way to move photos around after they've been imported; it's badly needed. Nowhere can I access a filename for the photo once it's imported, but that's needed for the portfolio. Nowhere do I find a way to rename the photos once they are on the iPad. Apple, how about a list view for photos where you could edit by moving photos up/down the list, something like other apps have (the three horizontal bars at the right of the list that you can drag up or down within the list)?

Frustrated.

Really new to the iPad, but I had the same problem. I am using Windows 7 on my PC and to fix the sort problem all I did was change the file properties of each photo before syncing the folder to the iPad. For example:

1. Created new directory named Glass (I am a glassblower and I was creating a small portfolio)
2. For all my "portrait oriented" vases, I changed the "date taken" file property to tt/nn/2000 (where tt is the type (I used 01 for Vases, 02 for Bowls, etc) and nn is the sort order number 1-31). So the first vase pic would have a date taken property of 01/01/2000, the next vase pic would have a date taken property of 01/02/2000, and so on...

You can create your own numbering scheme for infinite possibilities. This worked great for me and was pretty easy until there is a better method...

#12 User is offline   GeoCarl 

• Pip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've sort of solved the problem, by ensuring that each collection of photos is in an iPhoto Album, not just in the Library. OK, problem solved (for now). It's still frustrating to have to cobble together a file naming procedure outside of iPhoto, import them into iPhoto, create an album, then sync with the iPad. I look forward to the rev. that will allow you to sort photos from within iPad. A light table metaphor would work wherein you could push photos around to suit the arrangement needed. The iPhone and iPad both use this sort of procedure when rearranging apps; why not for the photos as well?

Although the Photo app allows for importing from folders you set up outside of iPhoto, the sorting results are far less predictable. If sorting is important, I'd suggest working from within iPhoto (Thanks chas_m, you were right in your first reply, but I didn't get the part about creating an Album before importing).

#13 User is offline   chas_m 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:34 AM

The App Store now has several other apps that one can use for sorting photos, including a couple that are specifically geared towards "portfolio" type presentations and sound like exactly what you're looking for. I'd browse around the App Store for iPad apps using terms like "portfolio" and see what comes up.
Cheers
chas_m

#14 User is offline   Offshore 

• Pip

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:21 PM

chas_m, on 23 June 2010 - 03:34 AM, said:

The App Store now has several other apps that one can use for sorting photos, including a couple that are specifically geared towards "portfolio" type presentations and sound like exactly what you're looking for. I'd browse around the App Store for iPad apps using terms like "portfolio" and see what comes up.

I FINALLY got my iPad to display my photo's the way I wanted (in alphabetical order of the file name) from the photo's on my Windows 7 PC. To do so I had to remove all EXIF data from copies of the images, rename them in a reverse alphabetical order (don't ask me why this is so) & then set the file created, modified & accessed dates to the same value. I did this using two freeware applications (IrfanView & SetFileDate).

Using IrfanView:
(1) Select all the images in the selected folder.
(2) Start a Batch process to convert & rename the resultant files.
(3) Convert to JPG (select desired quality) & remove all EXIF data fields.
(4) Set the rename to image##### starting at 99999 & incrementing by -1 (your first image will be called image99999, the next image99998, etc).
(5) Select the new folder to send these new images to.

Using SetFileDate:
(6) Select the folder created in step (5).
(7) Select all files.
(8) Select an appropriate date/time & change all files dates to this.

Use the new images in this new folder as a new album to Synch your iPad to. They should appear in alphabetical order (of the original files from step (1)), or at least they did for me. I'm now a happy man.

PLEASE NOTE:
To do the same for my iPod Touch I followed exactly the same process EXCEPT I did not have to reverse the alphabetical sequence of the images (ie I named them image00000, image00001, etc). Again, don't ask me why this is so, it just is (on my gear at least).

Good luck.

This post has been edited by Offshore: 02 August 2010 - 08:25 PM

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users