• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:55 PM

nice review.

ji

#3 User is offline   PDC3407 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:53 PM

Having used the (too heavy) tablet PCs as a handheld prompter that had writing & highlighting capability, I was so pleased to see Keynote for iPad available -- until reading this thoughtful review. Seems like they geared Keynote for the education/start-up crowd, not us Road Warrior types. Interesting, because iPad is the BIGGEST opportunity I can see for usurping MS Office with iWork. I already (mostly) love iWork for its responsiveness and lack of fussiness. (E.g. Pages doesn't try to reformat everything I do on the fly the way an untamed Word will. Numbers intelligence about not trying to sort a table's Header and Footer rows is very welcome. And, of course, the sexy Keynote animations that...don't always work in iPad.) BIG QUESTION for MACWORLD: What is it like to try to use LogMeIn or similar to run a MacBook Pro that's "anchored" to the LCD projector waaay back in the hotel conference room? Will LogMeIn effectively allow the "see it on iPad screen while projecting" and enable all animations. In other words, is iPad an excellent wireless "dumb client" or is it suicidal to bring a MacBook to a hotel's A/V team and say "rig it up, I'll control from here" (heft iPad with look of triumph)?!??!!

Not that I daydream endlessly about this stuff or nothin' (shuffle feet, look down).

#4 User is offline   bryanhopkins 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

Thank You for the thorough review of OS X Keynote vs. iPad Keynote
Reading this has saved me hours and hours of time.
Knowing that (current) iPad keynote is an (imperfect) subset of OS X Keynote is a big "head start"

Why does Apple NOT make a "preference" in OS X Keynote that will allow ONLY iPad compatible operations while building in OS X Keynote ?
As a new user of OS X Keynote, this would be an huge help, if iPad Keynote can't reproduce IT, don't let me choose IT. Real simple.
It is frustrating (and crazy) to find incompatibilities listed ONLY at the point of "translation" to iPad.
Building a presentation on the iPad is NEXT to impossible for all but the simplest presentations - Trust that this will change soon

This review made me stop "banging my head against the wall" of incompatibilities - Keynote on iPad is so LAME that I assumed that I must be doing something wrong.
Never saw a warning that iPad Keynote was a "work-in-progress" subset of OS X Keynote and that was released too soon.
iPad Keynote is a really an excellent beta release and should be appreciated as such.
Used with this understanding, iPad Keynote is a miracle.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users