Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: how and where does IPhoto save pictures? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how and where does IPhoto save pictures?

#1 User is offline   BrixtonBanner1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

I'm a bit confused with Iphoto.

Does it keep photos in a separate file (like Itunes does with music) or does it just reference my photos in "pictures"?

If the former then I would like to delete the pictures in "pictures" as I do not want to fill up my hard disk with duplicates
If the latter then I do not want to go deleting willy-nilly and risk losing stuff.
Previously I copied the pictures from my camera and then clicked "import to I photo" to see the pics in iphoto
I have gone into iphoto preferences, advanced tab and clicked "copy items to the iphoto library".

I've also just started using Iphoto to import my camera pictures as it seems like double handling doing the copying to "pictures" then importing but I do not know where iphoto saves them.
It may sound a tad anal but if I have some pictures of a holiday and a friend has some pictures of the same holiday I would like to save them in the same folder so I can then give all the pictures to another friend.

I have looked in "pictures" "Iphoto library" but that just seems to open up IPhoto.

#2 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:16 AM

View PostBrixtonBanner1, on 16 May 2010 - 10:11 PM, said:

I'm a bit confused with Iphoto.

Does it keep photos in a separate file (like Itunes does with music) or does it just reference my photos in "pictures"?

It can be configured to do either. Like iTunes it defaults to copying the files and then managing those copies on its own. In the current version of iPhoto the pictures (or the references to them) are stored in the iPhoto Library package which defaults (IIRC) to being in your Pictures folder. Older versions didn't mark the library as a package so it was easier to mess around inside on your own. But somewhat inadvisable.

If the former then I would like to delete the pictures in "pictures" as I do not want to fill up my hard disk with duplicates
If the latter then I do not want to go deleting willy-nilly and risk losing stuff.
Previously I copied the pictures from my camera and then clicked "import to I photo" to see the pics in iphoto
I have gone into iphoto preferences, advanced tab and clicked "copy items to the iphoto library".

The key there is that the phrase includes the word "copy" rather than "move;" your originals in this mode are left untouched. If you want to delete them after iPhoto has made its copies, go for it. If you're unsure about a specific image, you can control-click or right-click on it within iPhoto and tell it to show you the file (which it will do in Finder).

I have looked in "pictures" "Iphoto library" but that just seems to open up IPhoto.

See the inadvisable comment above? That's why Apple changed iPhoto's library into a package. You can still see inside it by choosing the correct command from Finder's context menu for the library but if you don't know what you're doing you can cause iPhoto to lose track of the images.

#3 User is offline   chas_m 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:24 PM

iPhoto keeps copies of the pictures in its own "vault," if you will. At least, that's the default behaviour.

The golden rule of iPhoto -- and its a fine program that I use and like a lot, don't get me wrong -- but the golden rule of iPhoto is NEVER EVER MESS WITH THE IPHOTO LIBRARY FROM OUTSIDE IPHOTO.

In other words, anything you might want to do with the pictures in iPhoto can be done from *within the program,* and that is the only safe way to work with it. If you're wondering how to do any sort of operation from within iPhoto, just ask. But don't go messing around inside the "package" that is the iPhoto Library unless you are REALLY keen to lose data, because that is exactly what will happen.

There are of course other photo managers that don't take this approach -- see my sig for one example -- but iPhoto is actually really solid and good IF you obey the golden rule.
Cheers
chas_m

Evangelist, ACDSee Pro for Mac: Get the beta! Join the community!
Help us build the next great Mac photo manager!

My sites: Life in Victoria, CanadaFilm MoiRadio ChasCrusty Old Wave

#4 User is offline   azzaman 

• PipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:19 AM

Just another question relating to this topic.
I put all my photos into iphoto and if i decide that i would like to do some additonal editing that iphoto cant handle, I copy the photo to the desktop, edit in PS, then resave to iphoto. I realise that the original is over ridden, no worries.

Question is, is copying from iphoto to the desktop detrimental to the image.

Cheers

#5 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:14 AM

View Postazzaman, on 21 May 2010 - 04:19 AM, said:

I put all my photos into iphoto and if i decide that i would like to do some additonal editing that iphoto cant handle, I copy the photo to the desktop, edit in PS, then resave to iphoto. I realise that the original is over ridden, no worries.

Question is, is copying from iphoto to the desktop detrimental to the image.

No. Copying from iPhoto to the desktop is a literal file copy. Whatever iPhoto has is what you get.

That said, you can designate an external editor for iPhoto and then from within the app tell it to launch your preferred program for editing a given image. You don't have to go through the process of exporting and re-importing the image.

#6 User is offline   chas_m 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:02 PM

View Postazzaman, on 21 May 2010 - 04:19 AM, said:

You are actually doing this wrong, and no the original is not overwritten. You're just creating lots of duplicates (they may not be visible anymore, but they're still there).

As I mentioned before, everything you want to do to a photo in iPhoto can be handled from *within the program.* This INCLUDES using a third-party editor, and saves a lot of time and disk space if you do this way:

1. In iPhoto's preferences, specify a third-party editor (let's say Photoshop) to be used for editing photos.
2. Now, when you right-click (or control-click) a photo in iPhoto, you have two options: Edit in Full Screen (ie iPhoto's own editor) or Edit with External Editor. Choose the latter.
3. Photoshop will open, then the photo you selected will automatically open in PS. Do your editing, and when you save (not save as), PS "hands" the modified photo back to iPhoto, which treats it exactly the same as if you'd done that stuff in iPhoto's own editor and updates the thumbnail to reflect your changes. Best of all, your unmodified original remains untouched so you can always go back to it if necessary.
Cheers
chas_m

Evangelist, ACDSee Pro for Mac: Get the beta! Join the community!
Help us build the next great Mac photo manager!

My sites: Life in Victoria, CanadaFilm MoiRadio ChasCrusty Old Wave

#7 User is offline   azzaman 

• PipPip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:15 PM

Hey thanks for that, much better... And yes, written, not ridden. Thought it was like ride over.. Classic..

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users