• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

Post your comments for How I set up a new Mac here

#2 User is offline   bvid 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

Interesting article Lex, the idea of creating a list is a good one which I should perhaps employ.

The first thing I do when setting up a new Mac is install ForeverSave or ForeverSave Lite from Tool Force Software.

I have lost my work too many times because I forget to save often and someone plugs out the power, my mac freezes etc.

With ForeverSave, I am prompted to save my file once and from then on I don't have to worry.

#3 User is offline   DCJ001 

• PipPip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:59 AM

Good tips. Thanks.

I agree that DropBox is great and it gives 2 GB of online storage for your computers that you can easily use to transfer files between multiple computers, iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads for free.

This post has been edited by cpoff: 25 May 2010 - 11:02 AM
Reason for edit: removed referral link

#4 User is offline   ShinySteelRobot 

• Pip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

First thing I do when I set up a new Mac is use the default account (ie, the admin account created the first time Mac runs) to create a NON-ADMINISTRATOR account. Then I use the non-admin account for my day to day work.

Most of the exploits that could attack a Mac are enabled by running as an admin user. And since Mac OS prompts you (or provides a lock icon/button) for privilege escalation whenever needed, there's no downside.

#5 User is offline   srr10 

• Pip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:42 AM

I ALWAYS create a second account, immediately, with admin privileges. This enables me to log on and fix the machine if my main user account gets fried by a cosmic ray event...

#6 User is offline   vintagegeek 

• PipPip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

Here are my APPS: Install Firefox cause it's add-ons and extensions list are massive. Have to install VLC & Handbrake for making iPhone copies of Movies. VLC plays damn near any movie file. Must grab OpenOffice so I don't have to pay Microsoft a weeks wages for MS-Office. Grab Skype so you're ready for International calls when you need it. Grab iStat so you can watch the Temp rise on your MacBook and watch those fans crank up. And get Caffiene so you can "really" control screen sleeping.

oh...that second account is a good one. Saved me a few times.

View Postsrr10, on 25 May 2010 - 11:42 AM, said:

I ALWAYS create a second account, immediately, with admin privileges. This enables me to log on and fix the machine if my main user account gets fried by a cosmic ray event...
YES...agree, absolute must.

This post has been edited by vintagegeek: 25 May 2010 - 11:50 AM

#7 User is offline   zarmanto 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

I may have to check out ForeverSave myself. B)

The first thing I do is a variation on Dock minimization: like Lex, I drop almost all of Apple's default icons, (I leave Safari and iTunes, and add EyeTV) but I actually kind'a like the oversized icons, so I don't add very many other icons to the Dock itself. Rather, I create an "Applications" folder inside of my user profile folder, and drag aliases of all of my frequently used programs into that. Then I drag that folder into the right side of the Dock, right next to the Trash icon... bada-bing, I have my own customized Applications menu right on the Dock!

(I also Get Info on the real Applications folder, copy its icon to the clipboard, and paste it onto my own folder, and then right click on the icon in the Dock and adjust it to Display as Folder rather than Stack... but that's all just aesthetics. :D )
- 24" iMac: 2.33GHz Core2 Duo/3GB RAM/2TB HD/GeForce 7600 w/256MB VRAM
- Hackintosh: 2.3GHz AMD Quad-Core/4GB RAM/multiple HDs/GeForce 8600 GTS w/256MB
- Verizon iPhone 4
- AppleTV (2nd Gen)
- 1TB Time Capsule
- 80GB iPod Classic

#8 User is online   fotografx 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

Sorry but your setup may be OK for you but does not support digital photography or any graphics that requires screen to print matching. It is a blind Mac.

#9 User is offline   3Dlabrat 

• PipPip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

View Postsrr10, on 25 May 2010 - 11:42 AM, said:

When I saw the headline for this article, I thought that it was going to give more advice along these lines.

When I set up a new Mac, I set up a dedicated admin account (turning off automatic log-in) where I install all the apps I'd like to run on the computer. I launch them once, especially if they're a download, to make sure they're functioning and to get rid of subsequent pop-up warnings about the app having been downloaded. If this pop-up is addressed in the account that the program was downloaded and installed, then it doesn't show up for ever user. If it's not, then it will come up ever time. I don't do any work or play in this account. I use it to install new apps and updates to existing apps. This way they're easily available to and up to date on all accounts. Whenever there are significant updates released by Apple, I take that opportunity to log into the admin account and download and install any updates available for all the programs on the computer.

I then create password-protected general-user accounts for all potential users of the computer. I like the idea of creating a second admin account that goes untouched, just in case something happens to the first. I may implement that.

I turn on stealth mode and require the password to wake the computer from sleep. I set the size of my dock relatively small with magnification set to max. I keep the dock hidden off the bottom of my screen (laptops) or the right (average desktops with a single monitor). On my one setup with dual monitors, I keep the dock visible at the bottom of the 30" one.

Necessary printers are added and tested.

My initial set up includes the following programs and plug-ins: Flip4Mac, Perian, VLC, Cyberduck, Firefox (w/ the Click to Flash plug-in installed on general-user accounts), Neo Office, and Dropbox.

#10 User is offline   iamdavid 

• Pip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

First thing - turn off the Empty Trash "are you sure"warning

#11 User is offline   jaspermac 

• PipPip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:54 PM

Before Snow Leopard, one of my first installs was AppleJack. It's a great freeware/donationware system health utility that's saved my bacon many times.

Alas, it's not been updated for Snow Leopard yet.

#12 User is offline   timcrawf 

• PipPip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

The point of view can vary here. Am I setting up my computer? One for someone else? Either way, I have to strongly DISagree with your first step. "That's why I like to see all attached volumes on the Desktop." In fact, prior to 10.6, the first thing I did was to de-select all items in the "Show these items on the desktop" section. Now of course, I deselect the 3 that Apple still leaves selected.
In OS 9, it made sense to have the icons on the desktop. Why? That was the only way we had. In all open and save dialogs, you had to go to the Desktop to find a drive. In OS X, choose Open or Save, now go to the Desktop, do you see the drives that you see in the finder? No. Where are they? In the sidebar. The same place the belong in the finder.
Think about this another way. When you open the hard drive from the desktop, you then must click on the folder you want, usually your home folder. That was 3 clicks. What is the better way? A single click on the Finder icon in the Dock. Boom, one click and you have your home folder.
The other problem with the hard drive on the Desktop? It can cause people to drag files there when cleaning their desktop. This causes files to be placed at the root level of the drive, instead of the user's home folder. Not good for backup or just for finding the files in the future.
The last problem occurs when people have an external drive or CD installed when they login. These drives are always placed in the upper-right hand side, this causes any other files on the desktop to move, sometimes making it hard for the user to find them.

Sorry to ramble so long. This is (obviously a pet peeve :-)

#13 User is offline   trip1ex 

• PipPip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:24 PM

I just hit command-space and type a few letters to launch my apps. And I don't have to install anything.

#14 User is offline   Billybeige 

• Pip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

I tune up my mouse and folder opening speeds.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users