Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows 7 OEM on a Mac ?

#1 User is offline   Matmiblue 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:03 AM

You could tell I'm a Mac newbie : I'm about to receive my MBP 15" (first Mac ever...). I'll need to install Bootcamp (which I understand is free ?) and then I'll need to purchase Windows. Can I buy the OEM version (which seems available on Amazon) or by definition the OEM is not applicable here and I have to buy the "standard" version ? I'll have to get the Home 64 bits as some of my softwares run better on that version.

Thanks !

#2 User is offline   KPOM 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

View PostMatmiblue, on 05 June 2010 - 04:03 AM, said:

You could tell I'm a Mac newbie : I'm about to receive my MBP 15" (first Mac ever...). I'll need to install Bootcamp (which I understand is free ?) and then I'll need to purchase Windows. Can I buy the OEM version (which seems available on Amazon) or by definition the OEM is not applicable here and I have to buy the "standard" version ? I'll have to get the Home 64 bits as some of my softwares run better on that version.

Thanks !

You can use OEM versions with no problem. The main difference is that Microsoft does not support OEM versions (the OEM is supposed to support customers). You do get security updates, Windows Update, etc. but not access to the call-in support.

I'd suggest Professional 64-bit over Home 64-bit. Professional gives you the ability to install Windows XP Mode, in case you need something that doesn't run well in 64-bit mode or Windows 7.

Boot Camp is free. It is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.

This post has been edited by KPOM: 05 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

#3 User is offline   Matmiblue 

• Pip

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:15 PM

Thanks KPOM, this is really helpful. You have a very good point about Windows 7 Pro. I'm running XP on my PC at home and I'm not sure all the softwares I'll need to install on my Mac will work under Windows 7.

So, it will be Windows 7 Professional 64 bits.

Thanks !

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users