• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:01 AM

Post your comments for Sony NEX-5 is small but powerful here

#2 User is offline   HealeyGuy 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

The lack of a hot shoe for flash eliminates this from consideration for me. I want a DSLR-quality camera that is less heavy and bulky than a standard DSLR, but I don't want to carry another camera for situations that require an external flash. I like that these more-compact designs are being developed and am hopeful that one eventually hits my target.

#3 User is offline   john0879 

• PipPip

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:45 AM

View PostHealeyGuy, on 13 July 2010 - 07:17 AM, said:

The lack of a hot shoe for flash eliminates this from consideration for me. I want a DSLR-quality camera that is less heavy and bulky than a standard DSLR, but I don't want to carry another camera for situations that require an external flash. I like that these more-compact designs are being developed and am hopeful that one eventually hits my target.

Check out the Olympus PEN cameras. I looked at the E-PL1 for my wife. I wouldn't mind it myself if I needed an alternative to my DSLR. It is the same concept as the NEX-5. Small body with interchangeable lenses (micro 4/3rds, so more options), built-in flash, hot shoe for external flash. The settings and menus are geared more toward point and shoot users looking to get the advantages of a DSLR without the bulk or complexity. If you want controls that are similar to a DSLR the E-P1 and E-P2 might be better. They're a little bit more expensive though. I haven't handled either of them so I can't really speak for the quality. I was pretty impressed by the E-PL1 though.

#4 User is offline   PaulGuinnessy 

• Pip

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:49 AM

I played with both recently. The PL-1 felt better in the hand and you could tweak the zoom easily. However, the Sony produced better pictures and the screen on the back is a delight. Its making choosing between the two tricky.

#5 User is offline   alfriedman 

• PipPip

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:35 AM

I just purchased the NEX-5N, which has a few improvement, most notably a denser sensor (16.1MP) and a new scene selection menu. I'm loving the ultra-sharp touchscreen LCD and the picture quality exceeds that of my former Pentax SLR (admittedly only a 6MP sensor). The 18-55mm kit lens is better than most such lenses that I have seen on DSLRs, and the 16mm pancake lens makes the camera pocketable - no mean feat for an APS-C sensor camera! I just sold my Pentax glass to finance the 55-210 tele zoom and the 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. I will agree that the flash is a pain in the neck to use, and it is kind of small. If you want to do more serious flash photography, you should invest in Sony's bigger flash unit. Lastly, theNEX-5N has the option of mounting an eye-level electronic viewfinder in place of the flash. This viewfinder is out of this world, in terms of image quality, it looks like an optical viewfinder! Only one catch: $350!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users