Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Apple unveils new iMac, including quad-core model - Macworld Forums

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple unveils new iMac, including quad-core model

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:04 AM

Post your comments for Apple unveils new iMac, including quad-core model here

#2 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:14 AM

Don't forget the new Magic TrackPad!! SAWEEEEET!

#3 User is offline   BloreBoy 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:37 AM

Didn't Apple refresh the iMac line in October/ November 2009? I bought a new iMac then as I thought I'd be safe from obsolescence for a year or so :(

#4 User is offline   DavidCoburn 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:43 AM

lol BloreBoy - just how long did you think that technology would pause for your requirements? I still have an iMac from last year and will use it for as long as my application needs require.

#5 User is offline   leary 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:55 AM

View PostDavidCoburn, on 27 July 2010 - 05:43 AM, said:

lol BloreBoy - just how long did you think that technology would pause for your requirements? I still have an iMac from last year and will use it for as long as my application needs require.

Aside from the new graphic card, my decked out quad-core from last fall hardly feels obsolete...

#6 User is offline   RexRay 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:57 AM

Still using USB 2 and FireWire 800? That’s so last century! Guess the engineers never had to backup hundreds of GB’s of data. While FW800 isn’t bad, USB2 stinks!

Oh, well, at least there’s an SD slot! ;-)

#7 User is offline   autumnsong 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:08 AM

I may have to go sell a kidney now so I can afford one. Drool. My '07 iMac is feeling ashamed of itself right now.

#8 User is offline   Stewsburntmonkey 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:08 AM

View PostRexRay, on 27 July 2010 - 05:57 AM, said:

Still using USB 2 and FireWire 800? That’s so last century! Guess the engineers never had to backup hundreds of GB’s of data. While FW800 isn’t bad, USB2 stinks!

Oh, well, at least there’s an SD slot! ;-)

I would guess Apple is project most backup will be done over a network (either NAS or cloud), not a physical peripheral so they are more interested in gigabit ethernet and higher speed wifi.

Also to be fair most people don't have hundreds of GB to backup. That said I've been using a USB2 bare-drive port to back up over a TB of data and it isn't that bad. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but it works. As it is USB2 and FW800 are standards everything beyond that is still being rolled out and isn't well supported in the market (with the exception of perhaps eSATA)

#9 User is offline   tfrogh 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:19 AM

I just bought a 27" about a month ago. It has the Quad Core i7 and is totally wicked. It is an amazing machine.

Sadly, I would have liked the dual drive set-up now offered with having the SSD and a SATA drive. That has been my only gripe with the iMacs since 10.5. Having an external drive for TimeMachine. I would gladly accept a thicker iMac if it meant having 2 user accessible HD bays.

t.

#10 User is offline   talmy 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:25 AM

View PostStewsburntmonkey, on 27 July 2010 - 06:08 AM, said:

Also to be fair most people don't have hundreds of GB to backup. That said I've been using a USB2 bare-drive port to back up over a TB of data and it isn't that bad. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but it works. As it is USB2 and FW800 are standards everything beyond that is still being rolled out and isn't well supported in the market (with the exception of perhaps eSATA)

I actually backup over 1TB of data every day over USB2! But thanks to "smart" backups it only takes about half an hour, and it does it at night while I'm sleeping.

ESATA would be great for expansion drives. I wish they would add that but it is unlikely because ESATA doesn't allow hot swapping which makes it too user unfriendly for an Apple computer.

#11 User is offline   ZipZilla 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:04 AM

-no 30"

-no HDMI

-no Blu-Ray

Looks like I'll have to ride the 5-year-old G5 some more.

#12 User is offline   Jarmo 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:23 AM

Higher starting point is a shame, but the specs are upped (maybe just) enough to warrant it.

All ATI now on desktops (besides mini, but thats a monitorless laptop anyway). Does this signify something? Anyway, glad to see solid GPU's across the whole mac range. Nothing fantastic, but nothing bad either.

Didn't really expect Blu-ray from Apple, but... come on! 27 inch led screen and no Blu-ray! Get over it and pay the dang licensing fees already.

#13 User is offline   Maxer 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:27 AM

nm?

#14 User is offline   DavidCuerpoJr1z47 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:30 AM

So if the iMac can fit a traditional hard drive and a SSD, then why don't they offer the option for 2 SSDs? I'd love to run those in a Raid 0 configuration!

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users