• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:16 AM

Post your comments for Kindle DX (Graphite) here

#2 User is offline   DavidW.Yutzy 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:35 AM

The price point is still, way too high for "just a reader".

#3 User is offline   Inkling 

• PipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:50 AM

Alas, it still has that same, woefully inadequate keyboard, the same dinky keys misplaced in rows and the same lack of a row of numbers and punctuation keys. The Kindle was, is, and is likely to remain little more than a tool for selling Amazon's ebooks when it could be much more.

#4 User is offline   perdygood 

• PipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:57 AM

If people would just stop buying the iPad for a while, we'd get a nice price drop and a camera thrown in. As it is, the DX and iPad are way too expensive.

#5 User is offline   stevenoz 

• PipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:10 AM

Is it just me? Since the iPad, the Kindle looks like something from 1955.

#6 User is offline   RobK 

• PipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

I do most of my book reading in bed... in the dark. (Kindle app for iPhone). Unless Amazon comes up with SOME kind of back light I'll save my pennies for an iPad.

#7 User is offline   melgross 

• PipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

View Postperdygood, on 03 August 2010 - 08:57 AM, said:

If people would just stop buying the iPad for a while, we'd get a nice price drop and a camera thrown in. As it is, the DX and iPad are way too expensive.

I certainly agree that the DX and other readers are too expensive for the limited use they give. But I don't agree that my iPad, even though it cost $829, is too expensive. People seem to forget that the expectation for iPad pricing before it came out was that it would cost much more, with the cheapest model costing about $800. I'm typing this post on it now, with it on my lap, sitting in my backyard, under the shade of a tree.

When the DX can do 10% of what this can do, then I'll consider them to be equal enough to compare pricewise, or in any other way. But right now, even as a reader, I consider my iPad to be far better than a friend's Kindle. No it's not as good in a bright outdoors, and yes, it's heavier. But in every other way it's better. When you can buy books from the B&N e- book store, or the one from Borders, or from any other bookstore other than from Amazon's, as I can do with my iPad (or iPhone), then I might think of Kindles of any size worth getting.

Right now I consider, all Kindles, even at the new lower pricing, to be a waste of money for most people. The iPad, with its far superior, and expensive hardware, and vastly better OS, is a bargain, and it seems as though the buying public agrees. It's amusing that you say that people should stop buying the iPad so that prices could come down. The fact that Apple, at maximum capacity, can't make enough, shows that it's priced properly, possibly, it could have been priced even higher. But the price will drop over time anyway. So you can wait and not buy anything, and miss out on all the fun everyone else is having.

This post has been edited by melgross: 03 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

#8 User is offline   sigma8 

• PipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

View Postmelgross, on 03 August 2010 - 10:42 AM, said:

I'm typing this post on it now, with it on my lap, sitting in my backyard, under the shade of a tree.

That tree must provide really great shade, I'm impressed you can see the screen. I took my iPad outside a couple of times this summer, and the readability of the screen in outdoor conditions has been a joke. Glare is just insane in sunlight, and barely tolerable in all but the shadiest conditions. Even under most trees, there's just too much ambient light bouncing around to make reading the iPad a pleasurable experience. It's more like a struggle.

As much as I'm not a Kindle fan, for _reading_ outside, it's full of win.

And the iPad...well, I have one. I like it a lot...but honestly, I haven't found a lot of use for it yet. For anything (ANYTHING) involving extensive keyboard use (e.g. this post) I will usually put it down and walk over to my desktop (or laptop if I'm on the road). For content creation...most of that uses a keyboard. As neat as Pages and Numbers of iPad are, and as glad as I am to have them, I vastly prefer using them on a "real" computer. Brushes is very cool, but it definitely feels a lot gimpier than Photoshop plus my wacom. Mind you, I'm not expecting miracles from the iPad. It's a great pinch-hitting device. Limited computing in a very portable form-factor, but let's think in terms of what it excels at: which activities would my iPad be my FIRST CHOICE of device to use? My answer: ebooks and video watching. The Kindle DX competes very strongly on one of those fronts, at half the price. Not too bad.

I think the iPad is totally a growth platform. I'm pessimistic on keyboard-driven apps, but things like Brushes and Mirror's Edge leave me very optimistic for what is possible. However, Amazon has made some overtures that they'd be extending the Kindle as well. It has a keyboard. I'm not expecting to see a SSH terminal on it, but if they make an app store, who's to say it won't appear?

While I think "it's just a big ipod touch" is one of the stupidest criticisms of the iPad, there is _some_ merit to it. Obviously, you can't enjoy ebooks on an iPod Touch the same way you'd enjoy them on an iPad, but if you already have an iPod Touch, much of what you might gain by buying an iPad could also be gained by buying a Kindle. Barring ecosystem lockins (which don't seem too onerous right now), a Kindle + iPhone/iPod Touch may synergize better than an iPad + iPhone/iPod Touch, which suffers from a lot of redundancy. Some things are a lot better on a bigger screen, but there are many things that don't benefit much at all (Sudoku?). Some things benefit quite a bit, but still don't become highly useable (e.g. SSH).

#9 User is offline   beamup 

• Pip

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:21 AM

The author of this article apparently hasn't heard that Amazon now has two kindles that are less than $200. The wifi version is around $140, and the 3G version is $190. I own an older kindle, and the ipad (which I also own) can't hold a candle to it. I tried to use the ipad outside in the shade and was able to read it, but after a short while, I got an error message saying that the ipad was too hot and was going to shut down. So I turned it off, went upstairs and got my kindle and finished reading on it. Apparently the ipad can't take the heat here in Missouri but I've had my kindle outside at the beach and in my yard where it's been 100 degrees the last couple of weeks.

In my opinion, each has its place, but no matter what, I still tend to read on my kindle or the kindle app on the ipad. I've even downloaded the kindle app on my android EVO phone to read when I'm standing in line. You can't do that with Itunes as it does not share across platforms--another instance where Amazon definitely beats Apple.

That being said, I do enjoy the page turn on the ipad, and it's nice for reading at night.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users