Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Epson's new Artisan printers are for image conscious - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Epson's new Artisan printers are for image conscious

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

Post your comments for Epson's new Artisan printers are for image conscious here

#2 User is offline   flybynight 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

Looks like the 835 also has a document feeder, like the 810 did. I own the 810 and love it. Does it still include fax capability? Not that I ever use it, but that would be another difference between the two models.

#3 User is offline   cseeman 

• PipPip

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

These days I find I'm doing less printing to paper and DVD though. But then maybe that's why Epson is moving to all in ones.

#4 User is offline   ceholcomb 

• Pip

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:13 PM

Yes it has a color 33.6 kbps fax and 30 page ADF for both the 810 and 835. I want to take issue with the accuracy of this story. The optical resolution of the scanner is 4800 dpi on all three models, not 2400 dpi. Also, it is borderless printing, not boardless. Please make these corrections.

#5 User is offline   ceholcomb 

• Pip

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

Correction, the 4800 dpi scanner is only on the 835, not the 725 models.

#6 User is offline   iestynx 

• PipPip

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

If all the manufacturers would stop ripping us off with the ink prices I might consider printing at home again. For me to buy a set for my Epson R1800 it would cost me £100+. Someone needs to investigate these companies about these issues and why the ink tech isn't advancing to be more environmentally friendly, around 50% of the cartridge is plastic that by most people gets chucked away. Xerox have started to develop the ColorCube which is a 100% ink cartridge, but it's only available to large format business copiers at the moment.
Sort it out people! Well that's my 5cents worth

#7 User is offline   garyi 

• PipPip

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:22 PM

View Postiestynx, on 04 August 2010 - 03:52 PM, said:

If all the manufacturers would stop ripping us off with the ink prices I might consider printing at home again. For me to buy a set for my Epson R1800 it would cost me £100+. Someone needs to investigate these companies about these issues and why the ink tech isn't advancing to be more environmentally friendly, around 50% of the cartridge is plastic that by most people gets chucked away. Xerox have started to develop the ColorCube which is a 100% ink cartridge, but it's only available to large format business copiers at the moment.
Sort it out people! Well that's my 5cents worth

I have a phaser 8560 wax printer. 3 sticks comes in a tiny cardboard box. I am guessing without looking the colour cube is based on the same technology. wax.

Fantastic prints, but only up to business use not for photos, the only downside being that its wax. i.e. you can scrape it back off the page!

#8 User is offline   WaterPig 

• Pip

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:23 AM

View Postgaryi, on 04 August 2010 - 11:22 PM, said:

Fantastic prints, but only up to business use not for photos, the only downside being that its wax. i.e. you can scrape it back off the page!

That sounds like a bit of a problem to me!

#9 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:05 AM

So... Epson? Does that mean that they're still prone to clogging unless they get near-daily use and the specific part the clogs is not user serviceable?

#10 User is offline   pwrbkdude 

• PipPip

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

"boardless" prints huh? thats a new one.

#11 User is offline   ceholcomb 

• Pip

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:54 PM

View Postbastion, on 05 August 2010 - 07:05 AM, said:

So... Epson? Does that mean that they're still prone to clogging unless they get near-daily use and the specific part the clogs is not user serviceable?

As with any inkjet printer, you should always turn off the unit when not in use, as the nozzles will be sealed to prevent air from drying out the ink.

#12 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:28 AM

View Postceholcomb, on 05 August 2010 - 03:54 PM, said:

View Postbastion, on 05 August 2010 - 07:05 AM, said:

As with any inkjet printer, you should always turn off the unit when not in use, as the nozzles will be sealed to prevent air from drying out the ink.

Turning the printer off didn't help with prior Epsons.

I've been using inkjet printers for more than 20 years, always turning them off immediately after I was done using them. The only ones that ever clogged on me were Epsons, and those models that did clog did so quite reliably. And - to reiterate what's frankly the most important aspect - replacing the single part that was most prone to failure was neither trivial nor expensive. In contrast, if the nozzles in my current Canon were ever to clog I could have the carrier mechanism out in seconds to soak in some alcohol or, if necessary, replace.

This post has been edited by bastion: 06 August 2010 - 04:41 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users