• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:41 AM

Post your comments for Reeder for iPhone and iPad here

#2 User is online   audiogeek 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:21 AM

David, you neglected to mention one of my favorite features of Reeder for the iPhone: in the article listing you can swipe the headline to the right to mark as read and swipe it to the left to star it. For me this feature is much nicer than the “quick news junkie fix” you claim is missing since I can do a quick swipe to the right of the headline as I read it if it doesn't interest me enough to click on the headline to see the amplified description.

I've tried quite a few free AND paid RSS readers for the iPhone and this one is by far the best in my opinion, both for speed and for the swipe feature. Well worth $2.99!

This post has been edited by audiogeek: 09 August 2010 - 05:26 AM

#3 User is offline   flosofl 

• PipPip

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:37 AM

I've tried Reeder, and while it's not bad, I found it falling short for me. It wasn't so much the program as much as it couldn't accommodate the way I'm used to reading my feeds. The pinch gesture to expand categories comes close, but I like to have a nested list I can drill down into.

I've tried a few, and honestly Reeder is a strong second, but the one I eventually settled on is Feeddler. It's much easier to navigate and read my feeds they way I'm used to.

#4 User is offline   Hendel 

• Pip

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

View Postflosofl, on 09 August 2010 - 05:37 AM, said:

I've tried Reeder, and while it's not bad, I found it falling short for me. It wasn't so much the program as much as it couldn't accommodate the way I'm used to reading my feeds. The pinch gesture to expand categories comes close, but I like to have a nested list I can drill down into.

I've tried a few, and honestly Reeder is a strong second, but the one I eventually settled on is Feeddler. It's much easier to navigate and read my feeds they way I'm used to.

I've been using Reeder for a long time, mostly because of the unmatched update speed and clean interface, but I only discovered this feature a few weeks ago - if you want a nested item list (where you can read new/starred items for only one feed), instead of tapping on a top-level folder name, tap the little gray arrow icon next to it over on the right edge. This behavior is configurable in the settings.

This post has been edited by Hendel: 09 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

#5 User is offline   SamGumgee 

• PipPip

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:35 AM

View Postflosofl, on 09 August 2010 - 05:37 AM, said:

What were other 'Readers' that you've tried? Could you kindly list them... Thank you:)

#6 User is offline   abultoot 

• Pip

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

great review for a great app and excellent suggestion.

one correction though: feeder doesn't share to Facebook :(

#7 User is online   meclizine50mg 

• Pip

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

I honestly don't know why Reeder always seems to get so much tech blog & press coverage, e.g. every time a new version comes out or when the iPad version was first released. Yes Reeder is good: it's reliable and has adequate speed features. But the biggest drawback is its interface. The gray on gray color scheme may seem like an unusually classy design at first, but in reality the lack of contrast gives me a headache! Instead of using colored icons to mark what is starred and what is read/unread, Reeder uses tiny black/gray icons on gray background: I honestly have to consciously look closely to see if the read or starred status (as opposed to other readers which will use yellow stars and shade out posts already read). Also, the way Reeder can expand your RSS folders into feeds is visually pleasing making use of the iPad multitouch screen, but in reality that is not very efficient, compared to other readers.

I used to recommend NewsRack for iPad: fast, clean, easy to discern what is read/unread/starred at a glance. But a recent update destroyed those features.

My current recommendation is to take a look at a reader called BLNS. Interesting but effective color scheme, and efficient with a layout similar to Google Reader's collapsed view.

#8 User is offline   paullin2 

• Pip

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:19 PM

I find it annoying that you can't just mark multiple posts as read (or unread) by just tapping it like you can if you want to select multiple emails to delete in Mail. Instead, you have to swipe each post, which can really hurt your thumb after awhile, not counting the fact that it takes much much longer.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users