Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: SniperSpy lets you keep a close eye on remote Macs - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SniperSpy lets you keep a close eye on remote Macs

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

Post your comments for SniperSpy lets you keep a close eye on remote Macs here

#2 User is offline   bernardp 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:43 AM

Retina X Studios's disclaimer requiring written consent of the computer owners rings very hollow because "SniperSpy Mac is designed not to give any indication of its existence on the Mac on which it’s running".

This is clearly software that can be used to steal credit card details etc. because it logs key entries and all online activity while being undetectable. I am concerned that incorporating press releases from such dubious products in anything but investigative articles risks more than just "moral qualms" of readers.

#3 User is offline   newguy21 

• PipPip

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:32 AM

I hope that the few companies that provide anti-virus software for Mac add a scanner and removal tool for this application.

#4 User is offline   dbutenhof 

• PipPip

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:15 AM

I think the concerns are a bit overblown.

You'd need administrative access on the Mac where you install it. So either you have legitimate rights to install it, or you're breaking in... in which case this would hardly be the most damaging malware you might choose to install.

Sounds like a potentially valuable (if rather pricy) tool for paranoid parents to monitor children in the internet era. Using it on employees sounds tacky at best; but I know there are some employers, and industries, where that sort of paranoia is common and perhaps even makes sense. In any case, most employees essentially sign away any business hours privacy from the employer in any case, and are explicitly prohibited from non business use of company computers. Most employers also stipulate severe consequences for any employee who might misuse administrative access on another's computer to install something like this for their own personal benefit.

I can't see using it, and if I found out my employer was using something like this on me they'd be my ex-employer. Still, that's hardly the point.

#5 User is offline   mr_rsu 

• PipPip

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:15 AM

The Internet has made everyone more paranoid than ever before and create an industry of spying software to spy on everyone, whether kid, employee, or public person.

There ought to be a mental disorder condition to describe these people who spy on others for legitimate or illegitimate reasons.

#6 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:31 AM

View Postmr_rsu, on 12 August 2010 - 05:15 AM, said:

The Internet has made everyone more paranoid than ever before and create an industry of spying software to spy on everyone, whether kid, employee, or public person.

There ought to be a mental disorder condition to describe these people who spy on others for legitimate or illegitimate reasons.

You're kidding right? A mental disorder for spying for legitimate reasons? :lol:

I'm betting there's a way to detect it. Activity Monitor? Top in Terminal? It's likely only hidden from people who don't really know their Macs.
Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#7 User is offline   MorrisTheCat 

• PipPip

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:01 AM

Seems like Liitle Snitch would be able to detect this, as it needs to upload files, causing an outbound request. I could be wrong, but Little Snitch tends to pick up anything running in the background that you would otherwise not even know is happening.

I don't think the concerns voiced here are too overblown. Sure, there are legit uses for such software, and let's face it, applications like Apple Remote Desktop can already "spy" on company systems undetected by the end user. Though, it doesn't work over any internet connection and It won't log keystrokes like this software, which I find a little bit over the top. I can see a lot potentially harmful uses for this software though, like spying on a spouse, etc. I guess good old fashioned trust and communication is gone in these days of the internet, whether its with your kid, spouse or employee. Very sad.

#8 User is offline   mattd313 

• PipPip

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

View Postbernardp, on 12 August 2010 - 01:43 AM, said:

Retina X Studios's disclaimer requiring written consent of the computer owners rings very hollow because "SniperSpy Mac is designed not to give any indication of its existence on the Mac on which it’s running".

We use a similar program, Spector, in our workplace. Once upon a time we had an employee stealing our database and emailing it to herself. Thanks to Spector this was caught and she was let go. Before we got Spector we had an employee have a client send the checks directly to her, causing us a loss of about $75,000 in billings. This was discovered after it all happened, and she went to jail and is out but on 10 years probation.

Our company openly uses the program, and have computers for personal use that don't run the program, only has internet access. This protects us, and protects them in case they're worried that our family business of 20 years is out to get their credit card numbers...

It's great software which is not only good for "spying". It's good to prevent theft from a company, restrict sites, set internet access times, and get detailed reports of usage so you know if your employees are slacking off on the internet.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users