Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Summary: Apple kicks off fall with iPod, Apple TV overhauls - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Summary: Apple kicks off fall with iPod, Apple TV overhauls

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

Post your comments for Summary: Apple kicks off fall with iPod, Apple TV overhauls here

#2 User is offline   k88dad 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

And the award for best comment during the Macworld live blog goes to...

Jason Snell: Is this how the iPod classic dies? By being left out of the family photo?...

#3 User is offline   John 

• PipPip

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:38 AM

iPod - Smaller is not necessarily better. Does anyone remember the SNL iPhone mini spoof? I was about the size of a Barbie phone. Such is the new Nano.

Now we have only one model of iPod that an adult can hold in their hand comfortably and securely while operating it with their thumb (such as when they are driving). Looks like my iPhone will continue to me my iPod.

iTV - $4.99 to rent a movie? I prefer to own. Hundreds of brand new highly rated DVDs are available for $5 to $10. If a DVD supports digital download all the better. As for TV shows, why rent when I can watch current TV shows on Hulu for free?

#4 User is offline   danw12321 

• PipPip

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:33 PM

The nano is a terrible update. The shuffle and the iTouch are fantastic. The iPod classic, while still available through Apple.com and in stores, is essentially dead. Nobody buys it anymore.
The iPod Touch will be a fantastic video camera, and the addition of a FaceTime camera and the retina display make it the only iPod people will really buy now.

#5 User is offline   HappySlug 

• PipPip

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

View Postdanw12321, on 01 September 2010 - 01:33 PM, said:

The iPod classic, while still available through Apple.com and in stores, is essentially dead. Nobody buys it anymore.
The iPod Touch will be a fantastic video camera, and the addition of a FaceTime camera and the retina display make it the only iPod people will really buy now.

I disagree. I think the reason the 'classic' iPod wasn't updated is that there isn't really anything to update. It's a basic music player with the storage to hold twice what the largest Touch can hold. Also the lack of a full length touch screen and simple, 'use by touch' controls make it a better choice for shoving in a bag or using in the car. Even if the Touch came in 128GB I still might lean towards the classic for shear storage capacity. I have an iPhone so I don't need another app based device. I'm sure there are a lot of people who aren't wowed by the apps and such or have an iPhone/iPad so they just want a big music player that's simple to manipulate.

#6 User is offline   Rhywun 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

I would totally take this Nano over the previous model I bought last year - I couldn't care less about taking pictures or playing videos. But what I really want is a Nano-like device with Classic-like capacity - guess that's still down the road.

#7 User is offline   JakeT 

• PipPip

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

Do we have to hold the Apple TV in our hand while watching TV? Otherwise, who cares how big it is? It doesn't have storage, so I can't take content with me on vacation or something.

No internal storage, so I have to have my computer on all the time?

#8 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:18 AM

View PostJakeT, on 01 September 2010 - 09:54 PM, said:

Do we have to hold the Apple TV in our hand while watching TV? Otherwise, who cares how big it is? It doesn't have storage, so I can't take content with me on vacation or something.

No internal storage, so I have to have my computer on all the time?

Not everyone wants another piece of equipment that takes up a lot of space. Many people already have a home theater system, DVD player, game system etc. taking up space. Stream from iTunes on your computer, Netflix, iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. That sounds good to me. I think now is the time to get one and a Netflix subscription.

If you're that worried about it, pick up the current Apple TV before they're gone. You can probably pick one up new on eBay and save a few bucks.

#9 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:28 AM

I think iTunes 10 and Apple TV are the two pieces that caught my attention the most. Of course, the iOS updates are the most important.

The iTunes refresh is nice. It's very clean in appearance and seems to run a little faster. I'm not sure if I'll get into the whole Ping thing, but time will tell.

I've always been intrigued by Apple TV, but it just didn't seem to really grab me. The new one seems to hit the right spots.

I've been tempted to get Netflix, but the thought of dragging my MacBook to the TV just to really watch something didn't sound too appealing. The $99 Apple TV paired with Netflix and internet radio sounds very appealing. I will most likely, finally, buy one.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users