Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Amazon leaks Oct. 26 launch of Mac Office 2011 - Macworld Forums

Jump to content

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Amazon leaks Oct. 26 launch of Mac Office 2011

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

  • Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot
  • Posts: 34,402
  • Joined: 30-November 07

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:44 PM

Post your comments for Amazon leaks Oct. 26 launch of Mac Office 2011 here
0

#2 User is offline   KPOM 

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,376
  • Joined: 14-December 07

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:49 PM

Note that only the "upgrade" version of Office for Mac 2008 Business is $200. Anyway, I thought the MSRP of Office 2011 was $279, not $249.
0

#3 User is offline   sportyguy209 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 64
  • Joined: 20-May 09

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:13 PM

Oh wow...Let's see, Amazon is saying that Office will be available on October 26, and Microsoft has said that Office will be available by the end of October? Am I the only one who is thinking...five days is not exactly a huge leaked story???
1

#4 User is offline   jhmaughan 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 224
  • Joined: 23-September 04

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:35 PM

View Postsportyguy209, on 10 September 2010 - 07:13 PM, said:

Oh wow...Let's see, Amazon is saying that Office will be available on October 26, and Microsoft has said that Office will be available by the end of October? Am I the only one who is thinking...five days is not exactly a huge leaked story???


That is EXACTLY what my first thought was, but you articulated it much better.
0

#5 User is offline   Photonerd 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 686
  • Joined: 31-March 05

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:02 AM

Zzzzz. Microsoft leaks are maybe the least exciting kind there is in all of software.
Basking in the glow of iPad Retina goodness.
0

#6 User is offline   Achilleas 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: 17-September 07

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:42 PM

Microsoft releasing software?
wake me up when its had a few updates and don't crash.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
0

#7 User is offline   blister 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 02-August 10

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:55 PM

Do you think 2011 will fix the problem with bulleted lists in the worthless 2008 version I just bought? I hope so.
0

#8 User is offline   KPOM 

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,376
  • Joined: 14-December 07

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:12 PM

View Postblister, on 11 September 2010 - 03:55 PM, said:

Do you think 2011 will fix the problem with bulleted lists in the worthless 2008 version I just bought? I hope so.


Well, you should be able to upgrade for free if you bought it after July 31, so there's no risk to find out.
0

#9 User is offline   SunnySideUp 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 37
  • Joined: 26-March 04

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:25 PM

I guess it will be finally time to switch over to the Apple apps after all these years of using Entourage, Word and Excel. Amazon has the Microsoft Office for Mac 2008 Business Edition at $345, not $200 as stated in the article. I would do a $99 upgrade, but I'm not going to pay full price for something like office. I only use Word and Excel when I have to, Keynote is so much better than Powerpoint it's ridiculous. I've had Office since 1984 (it was then Word and Excel), but it's finally time to give it up. The only MS product I use constantly is Entourage (which is a great program), sell it separately, or put it back in the Student edition and I'll buy it.
0

#10 User is offline   pwith 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 11-September 10

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:36 PM

And still the geniuses at Redmond can only make 32-bit software...

I am so impressed
0

#11 User is offline   KPOM 

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,376
  • Joined: 14-December 07

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:41 PM

View Postpwith, on 11 September 2010 - 05:36 PM, said:

And still the geniuses at Redmond can only make 32-bit software...

I am so impressed



Just like the geniuses in Cupertino who still give us 32-bit iTunes and iWork. There's a 64-bit version of Office 2010 for Windows, but Microsoft recommends the 32-bit version (for maximum compatibility with add-ins) unless you really need the 64-bit version to create huge spreadsheets.

This post has been edited by KPOM: 11 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

0

#12 User is offline   KPOM 

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,376
  • Joined: 14-December 07

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:45 PM

View PostSunnySideUp, on 11 September 2010 - 04:25 PM, said:

I guess it will be finally time to switch over to the Apple apps after all these years of using Entourage, Word and Excel. Amazon has the Microsoft Office for Mac 2008 Business Edition at $345, not $200 as stated in the article. I would do a $99 upgrade, but I'm not going to pay full price for something like office. I only use Word and Excel when I have to, Keynote is so much better than Powerpoint it's ridiculous. I've had Office since 1984 (it was then Word and Excel), but it's finally time to give it up. The only MS product I use constantly is Entourage (which is a great program), sell it separately, or put it back in the Student edition and I'll buy it.


The article has incorrect pricing information. $200 is the price of a Business Upgrade, not the full 2008 Business edition. However, 2011 Business will have a lower price. It will be $199 for a single license and $279 for a version you can install on two Macs. Home & Student will be $149 and can be installed on 3 Macs.
0

#13 User is offline   loup407 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 117
  • Joined: 23-March 09

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:28 AM

I switched from using office to iWork more than a year ago. I send docs all the time to clients who are on various flavors of Office, no one knows the difference. Unless you need more sophistication with spreadsheets; Numbers, Pages, and Keynote are just easier to use. When we deleted Office in my company, there was some trepidation re: compatibility, but so far we haven't had an issue. At all. Of course, your mileage may vary.
0

#14 User is offline   warlock7 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 934
  • Joined: 29-August 04

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:39 PM

And nobody cares...
Stay sane inside insanity.
0

Share this topic:


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users