Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: OS X then and now: What's changed since the beta - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OS X then and now: What's changed since the beta

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:01 AM

Post your comments for OS X then and now: What's changed since the beta here

#2 User is offline   bettercitizens 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:20 AM

No mention of Quartz Extreme, which before 10.2 Mac OS X was "extremely" slow painful for scrolling pages.

#3 User is offline   nipa 

• PipPip

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:25 AM

Apple may do as they wish and I surely love my MBP, however I treasure a G4 MacMini running Tiger AND Leopard, through an external firewire HD. Sometimes, being able to run an old application, is absolutely crucial.

#4 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:29 AM

Nice article. I love reading articles like these. My first Mac didn't come until 3/09, and it's nice to learn where it's been along the journey. Like many, I'm hungry for more!

#5 User is offline   lawrance 

• PipPip

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:37 AM

Comparing to a beta seems like a waste. I guess the author wanted the even 10 years thing.
The day Micro$oft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

#6 User is offline   soulatrium 

• PipPip

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:41 AM

it's always nice to see retrospectives like this, though I hope your next one is richer in terms of pictures showing the differences.

#7 User is offline   novabothar 

• PipPip

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:44 AM

I've only used 10.4-10.6 and let me say as a power user, I love 10.6.... btw what about automator?

#8 User is offline   Danielsw 

• PipPip

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:03 AM

I'm very grateful to Apple for really following through on what Steve Jobs said a decade ago about the then new OS X: that Apple will be betting its future on it. It has proven to be a truly epic effort over the long run with impressively comprehensive attention to virtually countless details and aspects of not only the operating system itself, but to the computer hardware, as well as to the macro environment and overall company operations, which include new product introductions which have had the desired halo effects of driving computer sales, and the 300 retail stores which have significantly improved the company's power to adequately distribute its products.

There also seem to be no signs of any slowdown in Apple's expansion.

I love it. Congratulations to Apple, Inc., its management, its employees, and its happy customers!

This post has been edited by Danielsw: 13 September 2010 - 06:04 AM

#9 User is offline   Tony1 

• PipPip

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:37 AM

"as was to be expected with veta software"

...and with On-Line stories :-)

#10 User is offline   MicheDoherty 

• Pip

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

People didn't dislike the "tiny Apple logo" in the middle of the menu bar because of it's position so much as because it WAS just a logo, and not a menu. They wanted the Apple menu back.

#11 User is offline   John 

• PipPip

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

Every version of Mac OS has sported a tiny Apple logo in the far left corner of the menu bar that runs across the top of the screen. In a curious design choice, Apple decided to shift this logo’s location to the center of the menu bar in OS X Public Beta. Mac fans hated the change, and they let Apple know. Apple put the tiny logo back in its rightful place in time for the inaugural OS X 10.0 release in March 2001.

What!!!??? OS X saw the demise of the mighty APPLE MENU and put an Apple symbol in the center of the menu bar for decoration. People didn't raise cain in order to move an Apple symbol but for the return of the the APPLE MENU. (Geez!)

#12 User is offline   ColoradoBill 

• Pip

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

One thing you missed was that the beta cost money. IIRC, $29.

I spent that and for my expense got a worthless piece of [fill in the blank]. I was never able to successfully install it on my 3-month old G4 tower.

The golden 10.0 was installable (and cost way more, to the early adopters' outrage), but a total waste of effort. Like the 128K Mac, it was a great technology demonstration that wasn't really usable for productive work. That had to wait until Jaguar (10.2), which was the first ready-for-prime-time version of OS X.

Wake me in August 2012 for the real tenth anniversary.

#13 User is offline   doglesby 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

The Sjeng chess engine, really? What about adding journaling to HFS? Fine-grained locking for much better performance. As someone else mentioned, Quartz Extreme. Also the Core APIs (such as audio, video, text, and animation). We've seen Apple drop technologies that were vast improvements over the beta for even better performance/flexibility.

#14 User is offline   JoseAlfonso 

• Pip

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:30 AM

I think that for the most part, there's one thing that was missing from this article - the fact that OS X (in all it's growth stages) over the years runs better, faster and without crashing vs. Windows !

NOW, THAT'S WORTH MENTIONING AND CELEBRATING FOR YEARS TO COME ......

My advice to Apple, "Just continue to keep in Simple" and the rest falls into place going forward. Oh, did I mention that the spooling system isn't too either either ?

LOL :)

Simply a superior product by SUPERIOR MINDS !

Jose A.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users